Forum Index > Gear Talk > Feedback WANTED please on TRAK BushWacker Cross Country Skis
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWPhil

NWPhil
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:41 pm 
Hi, found two pair of TRAK BushWacker Cross Country Skis, 160 cm and 190cm Long with ROTTEFELLA NNN BC Bindings I am not looking for speed, and intend to use them on off tracks often, aka bushwack, breaking new ground.. so being on the short size side - thus slower, it's fine, as we will need more floatation anyway( they are wide) According to other manufacturers charts, we both would need slightly longer - 173 pounds and 138 pounds (dry-but-naked) given or taken, Obviously, with clothing and basic pack gear, it's easy to add another 20 pounds. So, would these skis be a good deal, at $60/pair in like new condition? Thanks for your help Phil

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NWPhil

NWPhil
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 7:39 pm 
confused.gif really? no one? not a trap/trick question - just need a honest opinion, better yet, if coming from someone that used thoset skis or similar. ok, what about this: - if you were looking for x-country skis, not concerned with speed, because you will be doing non-groomed trails, off-trail/bushwack, would you buy them, assuming that they fit your size and boots? Thanks once again

Seracer

Seracer
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 8:53 pm 
Hi Phil, I have a pair of Trax Outland XT's. Their a Bushwacker series ski. Several years old now, metal edges, 160cm or so. The best choice for me, short and fat. I ski a lot of off track stuff, with pack or pulk, and they do the job. I end up mostly skiing in the skating track when I do go on groomed trails since they tend to be a bit too fat in the tracks and I don't get much glide. I love the control with the shorter skis. If you are looking at mostly backcountry touring (like snowshoes that let you go fast downhill) then go for it. If it's more classic groomed skiing you are looking to do then go with something longer and skinny.

NWPhil

NWPhil
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 pm 
Hi Seracer, Thanks for the reply - great to hear that, because is what I am looking for to do (off tracks for most part) However one pair is 190 - the other 160. At this price, I will have room to buy skinnies too. Now the price thing: with the bindings included, and "like new" condition, is it a good price for them? $60 a pair. I can't seem to find any references for their former price. Any help/hints would be helpfull Thanks Phil

Seracer

Seracer
PostFri Dec 21, 2012 8:21 am 
Sounds like a great price to me. I think I paid just under $200 for my package, and that was like in the 90's. That was for skis, boots and bindings (had poles already). As long as your boots fit the bindings. Don't know about the current binding setups, whether new boots would fit the bindings on those skis. Haven't looked at new stuff for many years, which I guess says I'm happy with my setup!

NWPhil

NWPhil
PostFri Dec 21, 2012 7:45 pm 
Thanks Seracer. Got them today - yes, they look brand new and will be pu to use this weekend. up.gif

EJ

EJ
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 11:29 pm 
What bindings do you have, Seracer? I have the same pair of skis as you do and they're mounted with NNN BC bindings. I'm thinking about having 75 mm 3pin bindings mounted on them so I can wear plastic 2-buckle boots. My friends and are working on a project that will result in some cold, cold weather touring, so I want a warm, plastic boot. If I have to, I'll get new skis but I like the Outlands (they're paid for! smile.gif )

Seracer

Seracer
PostTue Dec 25, 2012 8:54 am 
EJ wrote:
What bindings do you have, Seracer? I have the same pair of skis as you do and they're mounted with NNN BC bindings. I'm thinking about having 75 mm 3pin bindings mounted on them so I can wear plastic 2-buckle boots. My friends and are working on a project that will result in some cold, cold weather touring, so I want a warm, plastic boot. If I have to, I'll get new skis but I like the Outlands (they're paid for! smile.gif )
Hi EJ. My bindings are Solomon SNS Backcountry's. Same on the boots, Solomon Backcountry, which are leather, with a pin binding and thinsulate insulation. I have had them out in pretty cold conditions (zero or a bit below) and never had problems with my feet being cold. I usually have full gators on in those conditions also, which helps to keep the heat in. I have always thought it would be nice to have some type of overboot perhaps for really cold days that just slipped on over your regular boot. That is what I have for snowshoeing, NEOS overshoes that are crazy warm and just fit over my other boots (Merrell Chameleons).

Ellen j

Ellen j
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 7:34 pm 
Just wondering if you would be willing to sell either of these skis. I have a pair and want to get my husband a pair, so preferably the 190 cm.