Forum Index > Trip Reports > Paria Canyon (UT/AZ) March 17-19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostWed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 pm 
I must have crossed that river 400 times. In the mornings the icy water numbed my feet, soothing the aching joints. In the evenings it felt warmer than the air. Red streaked canyon walls towered above, water seeping through invisible cracks nourishing tiny green kingdoms. I made a new enemy (quicksand) hiding beneath the murky flow, but it's rather timid in this part of the country. At night I tried something new, sleeping under the open sky, imagining potential desert perils--scorpions crawling into my sleeping bag, a black widow making a nest in my mouth. Of course the only real threat here is from flash floods, and with sunny 70 degree weather, those were unlikely. Day 1: Left the Brookside B&B in Kanab and headed to the BLM office. It's 8am, why aren't they open so I can pick up that permit I scored online last month? Doh, wrong building, you want the one a few minutes down the road. The Visitors Center, where they hold daily lotteries for The Wave. All set with my light pack and high tech poop bags, I headed for the White House trailhead, another 45 minutes East. Set out and within minutes my feet discovered how unaccustomed to cold water they were. Barefoot seemed less painful, aside from the occasional spiky seed pod trying to hitch a ride.
Who needs shoes?
Who needs shoes?
Paria Narrows
Paria Narrows
Salt
Salt
Looking back down Wrather Canyon
Looking back down Wrather Canyon
Wrather Arch
Wrather Arch
After 20 miles I split off the main route and explored Wrather Canyon and its famous arch. Slept up there, apparently a no-no, but I was well up the side of the canyon away from the riparian zone. Woke up with very sore feet and headed back before direct sunlight hit any of the canyon walls. My plan for Day 2 was to take it easy, retracing my steps almost to the beginning since I'd have to be on the road early on Day 3. Heading the other direction was like exploring a new canyon, seeing everything from the opposite perspective. I took the time to look up, focusing on nothing but trying to take in the scene as a whole, unfolding like a movie. You can look at your feet for a minute then look up again and be treated to a completely different setting. At one point where the vertical walls relented I spotted a knoll with what looked like a trail zigzagging up. I noticed a cairn and scrambled up slickrock to soon find myself on this sandy trail dotted with prickly pear. Up to this point I had been wondering, is it possible to climb out of this canyon? I was about to find out. More scrambling along a cairned route, eventually leading to some rougher stuff I wasn't even going to think about. So close. But to what, the boring sagebrush desert above? Better to stay where the magic is, in the canyon, a linear oasis hidden like a cave beneath the oppressive desert.
Almost at the top
Almost at the top
Looking straight up at the overhang
Looking straight up at the overhang
Perfect water source
Perfect water source
Finally some subjects to demonstrate scale
Finally some subjects to demonstrate scale
Day 3: Feet are worse for the wear, I'm ready to be off them. Three miles at a snail's pace back to the car. It's cloudy and noticeably colder. Some parties are just starting out and I chat with them for a bit. Next it's a 4 hour drive, 3 hour flight, 40 minutes on the light rail, 20 minutes on the bus, and 5 minute car ride (my wife is nice enough to not make me walk home from the bus stop). Back to cold rainy Seattle, to work, to "normal" life. And to planning the next adventure.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
User-Name

User-Name
PostWed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 pm 
Gawd, what a beautiful route! Amazing trek...great write-up...I hate you. Congrats, Neek! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Mar 21, 2013 6:07 am 
Probably my favorite hike ever. Above the grand canyon on my list. Great photos, thanks for sharing! When you go back go all the way through to Lee's Ferry. As the Canyon opens up again it's stunning. Going up Buckskin is worth a return trip too. It's more narrow than Paria.

some names

some names
PostFri Mar 22, 2013 12:15 pm 
Nice trip report and pictures! There are so many beautiful places down there! We have found that neoprene socks work really well in those cold rivers and standing water in the canyons.

somesignaturehere and somesignaturethere
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostFri Mar 22, 2013 12:24 pm 
Beautiful photos, you have me itching for the Southwest again. up.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
kite

kite
PostFri Mar 22, 2013 12:26 pm 
Looks like there is a bit of water in the canyon, nice TR up.gif up.gif up.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Mar 22, 2013 4:18 pm 
I need a little motivational psych up for a trip that way. Your TR is a good start! Thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.