Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hex Mountain Information Wanted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 5:22 am 
A while ago I inherited the Hex Mountain page on SP. I did some work to it, but it's still missing some critical information. It's been over 4 years since I've climbed this mountain so the getting to the trailhead is the most confusing part. I've read many different reports which left me feeling kinda confused. I want this page to help break up some of the confusion of getting to the trailhead sign of this mountain. Also here is a map that I drew up according to my knowledge of the route:
View larger size in new window But please let me know if there are inaccuracies in the route map. Regarding the page, I plan on completely re-doing the route info.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 7:12 am 
When there is enough snow a nice ski tour is to go over the summit of Hex and come down the other side of Newport Creek.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 am 
I believe the actual summer trail starts between the I and O on the ridge ~3450'. That is the route I have taken. Your route follows the road a bit further.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 10:34 am 
Yes, and I've stayed on the ridge until the N in WENATCHEE then turned right toward the summit - a little safer when avalanche conditions are an issue and pretty straightforward as well, though you can't avoid one potential snow collecting feature right at the summit even with this route, but at least it's a smaller slope should it in fact slide.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 am 
I think Magellan is right. There a trailhead sign is right between the I and O
and we just head up hill (to the left of the sign) to follow the ridge (pretty much due north initially). I've seen folks keep going on the road a bit (toward the lake)
which is definitely do-able but I'm guessing it's an easier, more gentle ascent to the ridge via the summer trail route.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 1:41 pm 
Yep -- taking the hiking trail along the ridgeline is shorter on the ascent. Skiing back down, I typically ski the clear cuts on the west side of the ridge and then pickup the road for a bit -- but then shortcut the road a bit below the trailhead. I once skiied the open slopes east of the ridgeline on a day with low avalanche hazard, but the slope get steep toward the bottom and the trees get tight and it is pain to reconnect with the road and besides the eastside is a terrain trap in terms of avalanche risk.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 pm 
Thanks for the replies folks. up.gif up.gif I did some touch ups to the map to correct the route. So is it accurate now? (see the post at the top) Once the route drawing is 100% accurate I can start working on route details in the page. Also question about the parking lot, I hear that it's 300 yards from FS 116 on the left side... is that confirmed? From a very old source I heard "Either park there or drive pass the creek and turn right at the second road (about 200 feet passed the parking area)". Is this second pull out still available? I try and make the driving directions as clean and easy going as possible. wink.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 3:50 pm 
ditto.gif Not sure about a second lot. The first/primary one is merely a wide pull-out. The number of available parking spaces depends on how they plow it...probably between 6-12.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 10:22 pm 
Here are GPS tracks from a couple of past trips: http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychALEghTYXZlZE1hcBjFwTsM