Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bryant Peak (attempt) 12/30/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ikell

ikell
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 5:39 pm 
Hemlock Peak (left) and Bryant Peak (right) We climbed the steep notch/gully between the peaks Bryan (Gneiss) and I tried to summit Bryant Peak last Sunday, trying the route from Alpental via Great Scott Basin and up the notch between Hemlock and Bryant, per this TR. It was a beautiful sunny day, right after all the heavy snowfall over the holidays, but the snow was consolidated and avy danger low. We walked up the cat track and followed the busy trails toward the basin, donning snowshoes and getting up into the basin below Pineapple Pass / Tooth / Hemlock Peak. Bryan in the basin:
Things got difficult as we climbed up the gully, it probably took an hour to get up the 40 to 50 degree slopes in snowshoes... It was hip deep in places, one step forward and two back. The language got a bit colorful and coarse during this stretch... Ian struggling up the gully:
After gaining the pass, we kept going up the ridge directly to Bryant Peak. We made it up the next gully but found ourselves on an icy ridge that was too sketchy to continue, even with crampons and axe. Ian approaching the upper "gully". We went left of the rock at the top, but got cliffed out.
On the ridge near our high point. We actually used a few holds on the rock while traversing...snowshoe rock climbing?
We backtracked back town and tried an easier traverse route below the rocks, but ran out of time and energy (it was about 2:30pm at this point), and opted to head back down for food and cold beers. Great winter trip, will have to return. Does anyone know if you can climb Bryant from the Chair Peak side in winter? We saw a busy AT ski and snowshoe track head up in that direction, but not sure what it's like on that side. Heading back down for our first beer and lunch break, Snoqualmie across the valley:

Also on Cascade Climbers as ikell
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jan 05, 2013 5:43 pm 
Nice pictures. up.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 am 
Great TR, effort and photos! Was actually thinking off doing Bryant Peak and Hemlock Peak via Hemlock Pass! I doubt I will do it in the near future with another round of iffy weather coming in but if I do I will pass along the details. You will need a super early start because the Denny Creek Trailhead is now snowed in.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
gneiss

gneiss
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 pm 
Great day out! We'll have to give it another shot soon!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 7:35 pm 
Been up there a couple times, Is there still a rope hanging over the gully to the East? we found a couple bent poles in your upper gully. In the spring you can do a bear hug up the ridge to the summit rocks, airy but safe without a belay. The route up the other side of the ridge goes in winter if snow is stable.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BirdDog

BirdDog
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 12:08 pm 
ikell wrote:
Does anyone know if you can climb Bryant from the Chair Peak side in winter? We saw a busy AT ski and snowshoe track head up in that direction, but not sure what it's like on that side.
If you head up into the bowl below Chair Pk., there is a ramp that heads south towards Bryant at the base of the bowl at the flat area. Take the ramp, traverse up and left, gain the ridge at the col before you cross China Chute, take the ridge to the summit. China Chute is the narrow gulley that divides Bryant and Chair. You can sling trees for pro on the ridge. Nice pics from your trip.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
ikell

ikell
PostThu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm 
BirdDog, Thanks for the info. I think we'll try again this weekend for Bryant. Looking at this photo, which gully is the "ramp" you're referring to? The on one the left I assume so (above photos 4/5/6), there's one far right but that's the China chute, right? http://www.alpental.com/chinab.htm Also, do you know if you can cross over the ridge at the top (toward Malekwa) and just climb the peak from the backside, and avoid the ridge? That is possible from the Hemlock side, you can actually avoid climbing the ridge itself and just traverse around and then up the back of the peak. thanks!

Also on Cascade Climbers as ikell
BirdDog

BirdDog
PostThu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 pm 
ikell wrote:
BirdDog, Thanks for the info. I think we'll try again this weekend for Bryant. Looking at this photo, which gully is the "ramp" you're referring to? The on one the left I assume so (above photos 4/5/6), there's one far right but that's the China chute, right? http://www.alpental.com/chinab.htm No, the ramp I was refering to goes from the flat spot below the Thumb Tack at the base of the east face of Chair. Taking that ramp will bring you into the far right of your pic. Not really the best way to climb Bryant. Also, do you know if you can cross over the ridge at the top (toward Malekwa) and just climb the peak from the backside, and avoid the ridge? That is possible from the Hemlock side, you can actually avoid climbing the ridge itself and just traverse around and then up the back of the peak. Yes, if you take the ramp I refered to, you can cross over to the west side of the ridge before you cross China Gulley. Best route is probably from Great Scott area. Supposed to warm up tomorrow & Sat.; be careful of loose slide coming of the rocky areas. thanks!

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 am 
Can't say first hand about winter conditions, but I once tried the ridge from the gap on the Chair Peak side in the summer with a solid partner. Becky says follow a "broken rock face" up to the summit, but we could not find anything like that. We ended up in a heather gully steep enough to make us both take Becky's name in vain and we turned around defeated. I wouldn't want to be in that gully in winter, but then I'm not Jason Hummell either. Oh, and I've been up the west side -- a steep walkup from Hemlock Pass so I'm not getting that route confused.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 15, 2013 5:50 am 
I know where you are coming from we traversed the ridge a long time ago and we had to Rap to the Col with Chair.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn