Forum Index > Trip Reports > Camping on Squak mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 pm 
Contrary to all signage, it appears to be OK to camp on squak mountain. confused.gif
debbie's view, illegal campsite. 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
debbie's view, illegal campsite. Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
If you are going to illegally camp. Probably don't choose the most popular destination in the area? 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
If you are going to illegally camp. Probably don't choose the most popular destination in the area? Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
These guys had quite a campsite setup, right on the only viewpoint on the entire mountain, so not exactly a hidden location.
New signage. 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
New signage. Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
But no harm, no foul, I suppose. I just hope they clean up after themselves. That would be novel for that demographic... First bummer of the day was somehow my camera was on its lowest resolution setting. Second even worst bummer was my 3 year old "bullet proof" industrial grade Canon G11 camera appears to have died.
Appears to be a dead sensor on a 3 year old Canon G11.   Canon is not likely in my future cameras.
Appears to be a dead sensor on a 3 year old Canon G11. Canon is not likely in my future cameras.
Looks like a dead sensor. Working one moment and just flicked out dead the next. LCD stills shows all its info and works, just no sensor image, I have tried recharging battery, and swapping and formatting memory cards. I think Canon has been dropping in quality the last couple of years. And previously I have been a major fan of Canon cameras. I was investigating getting it repaired, out of warranty, but some research indicates it could come back with a bunch of new problems, even if they fix this, and cost could be a major chunk towards a new camera. bawl.gif back to the hike.... Suprisingly decent weather for 80% chance of rain. Trail was a bit damp and slick in places but not really muddy. Only a few periods of light rain.
Typical trail.  Nice and smooth and easy.  . 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Typical trail. Nice and smooth and easy. . Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Most people don't realize that you can easily lay out a 10 mile loop on Squak, as most people do very short out and backs. stats Squak loop 10.2 miles 2571 feet elevation gain 1818 feet max elevation 366 feet parking 6.5hours car to car 4hr8min moving
Squak loop 
10.2 miles 
2571 feet elevation gain 
1818 feet max elevation 
366 feet parking 
6.5hours car to car 
4hr8min moving
Squak loop 10.2 miles 2571 feet elevation gain 1818 feet max elevation 366 feet parking 6.5hours car to car 4hr8min moving
Squak loop 
10.2 miles 
2571 feet elevation gain 
1818 feet max elevation 
366 feet parking 
6.5hours car to car 
4hr8min moving
Squak loop 10.2 miles 2571 feet elevation gain 1818 feet max elevation 366 feet parking 6.5hours car to car 4hr8min moving
It makes for a nice handy, low elevation training loop for winter. I only saw maybe 10 people all day on a saturday hike. Although that is low for Squak. Like Tiger, there are some lightly used trails if you search them out. I did a bit of trail work with my tiny folding saw, making a blowdown easier to climb over. (the before pic).
I did a bit of trail work here to clear some of this mess. Only had a tiny folding saw along though. 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
I did a bit of trail work here to clear some of this mess. Only had a tiny folding saw along though. Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
And salvaging the Thrush pass intersection that I finally found camoflauged as a switchback. And I added a cairn, in light of other threads. moon.gif This is not a hike for scenery, but rather a place to go to reel out some easy miles in quiet woods. It would be an awesome mtn bike ride....if it were legal....sigh....
Searching hard for photo ops. 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Searching hard for photo ops. Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
The big waterfall.  Several inches of drop. 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
The big waterfall. Several inches of drop. Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Up the creek. 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Up the creek. Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Debbie's View. 
The only actual view on the mountain. 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Debbie's View. The only actual view on the mountain. Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Home sweet home. haha. 
"Bunker" of unkown origin. 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Home sweet home. haha. "Bunker" of unkown origin. Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Big Ole rock 
Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Big Ole rock Squak Mtn WA, 1/5/13
Even with a working camera, there would not have been a lot more pics. So there is not a lot to distract you from a smooth pace of hiking or trailrunning.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 2:06 pm 
Well there's worse things young folks could be doing these days. Good report Boot. Thx.

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 pm 
Breakin' the law,breakin' the law...... rocker.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 4:33 pm 
There is a house downhill about 100 yds from Debbies view. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 4:56 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
that would explain the large rubbermaid containers and other items lugged up there. Definitely not backpackers. Luckily they weren't on bicycles...then people would be coming unglued over lawbreaking by being there on bicycle. Hikers...ok to break law. wink.gif

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Probably Debbie's house...

Mikey

Mikey
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 am 
I have planted Red Flowering Currant bushes at the State Park south parking lot and along the trail. There are 7 Red Flowering Currant bushes planted near the 3rd bridge (creek with small waterfall just upstream of the bridge). Some of the bushes have colored surveyors tape on them. They should bloom about March.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 am 
Mikey wrote:
I have planted Red Flowering Currant bushes at the State Park south parking lot and along the trail. There are 7 Red Flowering Currant bushes planted near the 3rd bridge (creek with small waterfall just upstream of the bridge). Some of the bushes have colored surveyors tape on them. They should bloom about March.
Thank you for explaining the oddly placed tape markers! I was wondering about those.

friluftsliv
Apathizer

Apathizer
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 pm 
I know this thread has been dormant for awhile, but it was interesting to me so I just thought I'd revive it. I've never done clandestine/illicit camping, but here are a few guidelines I can think of to avoid detection: - Set up camp well away from the trail - I'd say at lest 50 feet. - Don't stay in one spot for more than a couple days - the longer you're there the more likely someone will figure out what you're up to. - Keep the group size as small as possible. More people usually=more noise. - Leave no trace after you're gone. Duh! huh.gif Of the 3 Issaquah Alps, Squak is probably the best for clandestine camping. Since only hiking is permitted (no bikes or horses) it gets less use. Any other tips/ideas to contribute? cheers.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 7:44 pm 
Apathizer wrote:
Of the 3 Issaquah Alps, Squak is probably the best for clandestine camping. Since only hiking is permitted (no bikes or horses) it gets less use. Any other tips/ideas to contribute? cheers.gif
No horses? Maybe not up top but there is all kinds of horse activity on some of those lower trails for sure.

Apathizer

Apathizer
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 7:47 pm 
Hmm. It was my understanding that it's designated wilderness or something similar, which would mean no horses are permitted. I could be, and oft am, entirely wrong...

mtnrider

mtnrider
PostMon Mar 17, 2014 7:05 pm 
Horses are allowed in all Wilderness areas.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 17, 2014 7:23 pm 
There are at least two abandoned cabins I know of on Squak. mum.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostTue Mar 18, 2014 11:56 am 
Thanks for the trail work, Boot! up.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 18, 2014 12:28 pm 
Apathizer wrote:
Hmm. It was my understanding that it's designated wilderness or something similar, which would mean no horses are permitted. I could be, and oft am, entirely wrong...
mtnrider wrote:
Horses are allowed in all Wilderness areas.
Squak Mountain State Park is not a Wilderness Area.