Forum Index > Trip Reports > Camping on Squak mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Mar 18, 2014 3:13 pm 
Long ago a friend and I explored the cliff on the Southeast face to se if it could be a practice area we were planing to call it Bedrock. The rock turned out to be rotten andesite with patches of Poison Oak and someone had put a clothsline at,the steepest point. At the top was a rock bench we called "Tokers Point" based on evidence seen. From that point there was a switchback trail to the top of the Southeast peak also called SAMs Peak. Harvey said Bill Longwell was planing to put some trails there in the 70's but then switched to Tiger. We got to the base of the cliffs by following power lines past some deserted houses. I think there is a development of some type there now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 3:02 pm 
I know this post is old, was seeking more info but nothing on the internet that I could find. Based on my exploration: from the SE Peak (boot path starts from the Eastside trail east of Thrush Gap) there is a boothpath with some flagging leading downhill/Sout, likely to the powerline area mentioned above. I've been most of the way down but with limited time I headed back up again rather than continue farther down the boot path rabbit hole. There is a "flat" area where the trail is hard to find because of blowdowns and what I presume are animal trails (head EAST here) but its otherwise passable. I've also been from the Chiciro TH across the road where the sign reads "Squak/Tiger Corridor". There is a faint footpath that leads across Issaquah Creek, where I stopped last time not wanting wet feet. 113th probably works too but it has a lot of no trespassing signs and a loud barking dog so I turned back. Will connect the dots next- I assume these are ends of the same "trail"

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 pm 
I have been down that trail and it does indeed lead to the power line swath which can be followed to roads which connect to issaquah Hobart road near the chiciro trail. You can also follow the power line to the prominent cliff off the intersection with may valley road. There is a path near the cliff (lousy rock) that also connects to the trail above. I think the trail may have been a part of an attempted connection to the greenway. Bill Longwell built a number of trails in the area in the 1970's according to Harvey Manning. Some were still follawable in the 80's but I have not been back beware poison oak in the area.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 11:11 am 
I grew up on Squak mountain just below the forest rim development. My friends and I tried on multiple occasions to "campout" at the bullit fireplace, but I don't remember anyone actually making it through the night (Or really even into the night). We would get up there with sleeping bags and some snacks and hang around, but inevitably around the evening or even late afternoon one or two of us would chicken out and leave which always led to everyone else leaving. This was back around 1990 though. Ahh the good old days.