Forum Index > Gear Talk > MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtngirl79

mtngirl79
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm 
http://www.rei.com/product/805325/msr-lightning-ascent-25-snowshoes I won these things at the beacon rally. I am trying to decide if I should sell them or keep them. I ski, so I don't really see myself using them much, but then, maybe? Keep or sell? They tell me these are the best. Its very ironic because I was jokingly making fun of the fact that they were giving away snow shoes, and then I won the silly things! I also won some MSR poles, but I haven't investigated those yet. Usually I use my ski poles for everything, but these dont have the big powder basket, so they might be worth keeping for summer use.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 7:11 pm 
Wow, TWO pricey items? Lucky girl! up.gif up.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
mtngirl79

mtngirl79
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm 
I'm pretty sure we were getting near hypothermia waiting for them to draw those dang tickets! Selling the snowshoes, see post in the trading post if anyone is interested! They are the 25 inch model (I measured)

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm 
This is my second season with that particular snowshoe. One of the binding clips broke today and the deck has a few holes in it already, they don't seem very durable. I wore them for about 4 miles today. Maybe they are not made to be worn much?

mtngirl79

mtngirl79
PostSun Jan 06, 2013 10:20 pm 
Interesting, as these snow shoes are the same that many places rent (I have used the same ones as rentals before) and I have seen them highly recommended by many.

Criminal

Criminal
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 am 
If you decide to sell them, let me know. I recently got married and would like an extra pair.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 pm 
What amazes me about MSR snowshoes, is they use the same crappy binding system they have used for decades, and its pretty much the same on the cheapest model or their most expensive model. They are definitely not a "quick release" system by any stretch of the imagination, and especially if you are hiking up into snow or in shoulder season, taking them off and on repeatedly can eat up a lot of your day. BUT, I much prefer even their cheapest model (which I own and use) for its gripping ability in Northwest conditions which are often hard packed and steep. As opposed to the tubular frame snowshoes that can turn into bobsleds in icey conditions, when you are really mainly wanting better traction. I wonder if they will EVER redesign that binding system?

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 1:54 pm 
boot up wrote:
They are definitely not a "quick release" system by any stretch of the imagination, and especially if you are hiking up into snow or in shoulder season, taking them off and on repeatedly can eat up a lot of your day.
No wonder why I tend to leave them on even over some extended "bare" patches such as parts of the Deer Creek road up to Kelcema last year.. lol.gif

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 pm 
This is the latest version of the Lightning Ascent with a redesigned PosiLock binding and adapted for a new modular flotation tail. Excellent shoes with superior traction and durability. I can’t speak to the negative comments; they are drowned out by all the positive ones online and by my own personal experience. As for your personal ski poles, wrong tips for trail use, too soft. The MSR poles would be much better. Regardless of your decision these are the best snowshoes on the market.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 2:55 pm 
boot up wrote:
BUT, I much prefer even their cheapest model (which I own and use) for its gripping ability in Northwest conditions which are often hard packed and steep.
Do you people ever read the entire post before knee jerking a response? "I can’t speak to the negative comments; they are drowned out ..." What is different about this "posilock" system? I looked at the link and the binding looked like the same series of rubber bands with a hole and post setup that does not maintain its setting for popping off and on. yes they are the best option out there. But almost every other brand has gone to a quick release binding system. Its embarassing and irritating to be fiddling for quite awhile longer than anyone else in my group when we transition to/from shoes. If no one whines, why should MSR ever change to something better?

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 3:03 pm 
Maybe a stupid question but at least on the picture link supplied, those bindings look like the same rather inconvenient (putting it nicely (IMHO)) bindings used in the Denali's, EVO's etc. that have been around at least since I bought my first pair some 4 or 5 years ago. You have to do the 3 front straps then the back one (which of course if you don't get right will have you coming right out of the shoe). Half the time the front straps anyway will sort of come loose (not that big of a deal but...). So you have to do 8 straps total to get both shoes on. Not so easy if you are say in rough terrain sinking trying to put on showshoes. Less of a deal if you are able to put them on in the car at the start for sure. Again not the worst/tolerable I guess but definitely not anything to brag or be happy about. Again my opinion which is no more or less valid than anyone else's. I'd really like to hear what/why people like about this binding system. If the new system is better, then ok, but in the picture it looks pretty much like the same one that has been around since the first end of the world prediction. Other than that and the fact that mine are noisy on harder ice, they are great, which is probably why I just deal with it. For that kind of money though why should you have to "deal with it"?

iron

iron
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 3:31 pm 
seriously, if you think it eats up considerable time to put on or take off these snowshoes, you're doing something wrong. i can easily get in both snowshoes in under 60 seconds. plus, that's the last time i'll need to adjust them until they come off at the end of the day (IME, you go up or you go down, but you don't meander between the point of needing snowshoes or not). with atlas 1225s, for example (my preferred snowshoe for different reasons), sure, you save 15 seconds to put them on, but if you're snowshoeing through anything other than powder (like brush), you'll have to stop 20 times to retighten the QR buckle. not really a time savings anymore. if you're sinking and/or in "rough" terrain and it's hard to put on your snowshoes, that's user error and it will happen no matter the brand.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 3:52 pm 
MSR’s Lightning Ascent is a pure mountain shoe designed with an improved binding to adept to a wide variety of mountaineering boots including plastics. One of the most noticeable changes is in the position of the second strap over the instep and split teeth on the front crampon, both big improvements. Now how much fiddle factor is personal preference, for me it is weight, traction, compact ability, and a secure fit for my mountaineering boots, an extra few seconds fitting the binding is down the list, but that is just me. I’ve experienced how this shoe and the Evo Ascent performed in my Tacoma Mountaineering Courses but newer models have come out from Atlas that are heavier with good traction systems such as the Atlas Aspect 24/28.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 4:02 pm 
The binding is definitely the weak link on the MSRs. The rubber straps make them spongy and they always torqued my feet on the downhill when I didn't land flat. I tried some Atlas snowshoes one day and never looked back. The binding is strong enough make the snowshoes an extension of your foot and power into the snow on the downhill. Love 'em. Must be something wrong with your Atlas bindings if you need to tighten them up constantly. I haven't tried the newer MSRs but if they attach with rubber straps with similar elasticity I suspect they will have the same issues.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 4:04 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Now how much fiddle factor is personal preference, for me it is weight, traction, compact ability, and a secure fit for my mountaineering boots, an extra few seconds fitting the binding is down the list, but that is just me.
I never was disputing the quality of the shoes just that they could have made the attachment system easier. Again my opinion, others can disagree and have their opinion, I don't care. Again the system apparently doesn't bother me enough to make me buy another brand or I'm too lazy or cheap to change lol.gif ... Since I'm basically a snowshoe hiker/walker I don't really have the mountaineering requirements others may have.