Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New trailhead at Hansen Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Jan 11, 2013 2:48 pm 
Not so long ago it was popular for this....
Now it looks like this....
The "new" trailhead gives access to a new mountain bike trail of which was a road to bike trail conversion.Supposedly will be quite long.And maybe new hiking trails to Little St Helens and Scout Patrol Peaks as well? The Hansen Creek Road (5510) has been a favorite for a road trip close to home giving a one of a kind view and during the right season providing some refreshments along the way.(berries) On the way up 5510:
Road 5510
Road 5510

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Jan 11, 2013 4:17 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 pm 
My "now" was a relative term..... Headed up that way eventually wearing snowshoes.I'm sure it's under two+ feet of snow by now....

Martin S

Martin S
PostSun Jan 20, 2013 6:36 pm 
I went up there last summer to check out the new mountain biking trail and while it doesn't go all the way to the top of Little St Helens it does do a nice loop around the east and north sides. A lot of work went into turning the roadbed into "interesting" obstacles for MTB's. There was also a new trail under construction on the west side of LSH leading off to connect with Gardner and points west. Apparently the master plan is to build a network of trails allowing for some long loop rides or hikes. Maps and lots more info is available here. I'm glad to see this area, with such easy access from Seattle, being developed for its recreational potential. When I came back down the trail I discovered that a family had set up target shooting across the trail and that I'd have to pass through their line of fire to get back to my car. When I told them that this area was now a popular trail and had been closed to shooting, they said they thought that just the gravel pit had been closed to shooting and since they weren't in the gravel pit it must be okay. huh.gif

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki
shiwapema

shiwapema
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 7:30 pm 
I drove up there late afternoon, today, Labor Day, and there were two guys with high powered rifles target shooting in the gravel pit at the trailhead. If I could have read their license plates from where I was, I would report them...nono.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 pm 
Was up on a ride today. Didn't dare park at the TH parking area because of glass. Never did feel 100% secure with parking there on todays ride with all the vandalism going on there. Just gave a bad vibe. The closer you get to the TH the less of the No Shooting signs you see....

GC99

GC99
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 10:00 pm 
If you look near the gate you can see the stubs of wood which are all that was left of the sign. We talked to a ranger and he said that they're having trouble keeping it up, especially with the $800 price per replacement.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 10:11 pm 
In Colorado they don't mess around. I've seen metal signs with letters torched out. Easy enough to read but much harder to vandalize. And I don't get why the FS didn't restore the gravel pit to it's natural state to discourage target shooters all together. Volunteers could transplant stuff..... Fill the pit in with Alder..... Grows like weeds.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 12:38 am 
alder requires water. scotch broom is a non-indigenous invader, but it's fairly drought tolerant and would sprout if seeds were simply scattered over the gravel. will withstand drought, fires, and being driven over by 4x4 trucks. pampas grass might be worthy of consideration as well. both can attain heights of up to 8 feet, creating a visual barrier. looks like they've got an enforcement issue up there. that area was closed a few years ago, which left the site up above Greenwater (along the #70 road) about the only place left on NFS land where they can shoot. understandably, some members of that user constituency aren't too happy about it. (and then of course there are always the obligatory morons in any user group.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 6:07 am 
NO! Don't even think about putting scotch broom anywhere! Anybody that cares is spending time and money eradicating it. Signs don't mean anything to some people, except the signs make good targets.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 10:29 am 
Friends Of The Trail volunteers get all the fun, kneeling for hours on pads hand picking glass pieces because leaf rakes are only effective getting shot gun shells. I'm free this afternoon, lets all give FOTT a break and do the right thing for this scenic trail head. I have pads, a rake and buckets. Just don't want to be up there alone, really.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 11:54 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Don't even think about putting scotch broom anywhere!
lol.gif Really? Come on.... you haven't read enough of my rants here about invasive species to have realized that was tongue-in-cheek? "FOTT" or some other trail group or NFS is most likely going to end up cleaning up any mess up there. Now that it's been declared a "no shooting" zone, why would the shooters clean it up like they did last year in an organized volunteer clean up effort near Greenwater? There's an incentive for them to keep the Greenwater area cleaned up; they still get to use it. This is one of those "be careful what you wish for" deals. You can't effectively ban shooting in all areas of NFS and BLM lands, and you sure as hell can't expect that entire user group to drive hours and hours to some remote spot in eastern Pierce County. The inevitable end result of that attempt is clearly shown in the photos just above.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 12:40 pm 
Yeah. Was just wanting to see that TH clean, yah know? For once. There'll be more and more mountain bikers eventually up there once the trail gets more press, once that trail gets built to Cedar Butte area. Not to mention peakbaggers headed to Scout and Little St Helens. Saw a bunch of horse poop up there, so all kinds of riders up there. It IS a nice TH in regards to the views of Granite on the other side of the road. Very quiet and scenic. Surely with more eyes and ears, there will be less target shooting.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 12:49 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Surely with more eyes and ears, there will be less target shooting.
That's hard to imagine but I hope you're right.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 1:01 pm 
Yeah... in a perfect world that might happen... Just my lousy opinion, but I think it was an error in judgment on the part of NFS to not set aside some gravel pit somewhere in eastern King County for those guys to go shoot old beer cans and such. At least in doing so they'd get the "organized" shooter groups (such as they are) to chip in and help clean up the mess. (and FTR: I don't own any firearms - they're too noisy for me.) And don't bother complaining or filing reports with NFS - they don't have enough manpower on the ground to deal with it - contact KCSO if you see anything up there.