Forum Index > Trip Reports > San Gorgonio 11,499' SoCal high point - (1/9/13)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jan 14, 2013 6:27 am 
I was rejected by San Gorgonio last winter on a trip with EastKing and Kristin. We had made the ultimate mistake by leaving our snowshoes in the car. This time I would be travelling lighter, without a tent or sleeping gear, and I had snowshoes.
Galena Peak
Galena Peak
The shortest route to the high point of Southern California is the Vivian Creek trail which is 5400' gain and 18 miles round-trip. I started at 4:45am and hiked for two hours in the dark. The trail was icy in spots and soon became completely snow covered.
The Summit Area Seen From 10,000'
The Summit Area Seen From 10,000'
Looking Down
Looking Down
Like the previous year, I found that snowshoes were necessary for sections above 10,000 feet. I was happy that this time I had them. The top of San Gorgonio was broad and open. I walked past a couple of high points before coming to the true summit. Having come directly from sea level to over 11,000 feet I was slightly intoxicated by the altitude. On this occasion, it was a pleasant feeling. I had the whole mountain to myself.
The Summit
The Summit
I'm A Signpost
I'm A Signpost
The Axe I Didn't Use
The Axe I Didn't Use
I could see Joshua Tree to the east where I had just been. The San Gabriels were to the north. The San Jacinto massif was to the south and To the west was the greater Riverside basin area. Beyond that, Santiago, the Santa Anas and even the Pacific Ocean.
The View South
The View South
Baldy And The North Summit
Baldy And The North Summit
My uphill time was 6 hours and after about 30 minutes on top I came down in 3 hours and 30 minutes for a total trip time of 10 hours. Right as I was putting my gear into the trunk of the car around 2:40pm, the Ranger drove by to check who did and didn't have a parking pass. I high-tailed it out of there. Still Pending TR's from this CA trip: Font's Point, Anza Borego Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves Spelunking Indianhead West Ridge Big Horn, Ontario, Cucamonga, San Gabriels Sitton Peak, Santa Anas

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 pm 
Glad you got the summit. I have to down there and get that one myself (maybe February or March). It should also be noted that nationwide national park pass also works on the Vivian Creek Trailhead.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm 
Really nice get, especially solo in January. cool.gif