Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wy' East from Holden
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
medic711

medic711
PostFri Jan 18, 2013 7:26 pm 
I was spending about 7 months at Holden village in 2010 working in the lovely Hike Haus. Quite a few "hard core" hikers and climbers come in and get some information or they want to leave some dry cloths and food for when they come back from a few days in back country. One day a guy by the name of Stefan came in and asked to leave some of his personal belongings, I told him of course. At that time he was in a bit of a hurry so I did not inquire on what he was climbing. But when he came back he had said he had done alot of peaks in a short amount time. Then he gave me a map (a couple of lines tracing some bad contour lines) of what he wanted to do next year (2011) So the story goes, I was not able to climb his route that summer, so I went back up to Holden in 2011 and was able to climb Wy' East. And sure enough found this on the top.
Summit log on Wy' East
Summit log on Wy' East
My route was for sure not as fun, because I was only to bad Wy' East. I took off from holden at about 6 and made it quickly to devore pass. I then hiked down into 4th of july basin and went up a couple of scree slopes to a broken up ridge. It took me a while to realize that I was not on the right peak, I down climbed the false summit, and took a different approach. Finally found the right summit block, and enjoyed beautiful views and a nice nap on the top. Great climb all together. Thanks again to Stefan for opening my eyes to other fun summits that are off the beaten track.
Wy' East summit block
Wy' East summit block
Wy' East
Wy' East

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jan 18, 2013 9:22 pm 
Pretty cool! Our family stays there every other year for a reunion. Some of our relatives and friends have lived in Holden for extended periods. The peaks there sure do beckon, don't they!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
medic711

medic711
PostFri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 pm 
they do for sure! I am sure I have seen some of them up there before, Holden is like my second home

iron

iron
PostFri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 pm 
yeah, that stefan guy is kind of a weirdo kissass.gif