Forum Index > Trip Reports > Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves - Fonts Point, Pictographs 12/25/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am 
My father and I agreed to celebrate Christmas with a visit to Anza Borrego State Park CA. Our first stop was Font's Point overlook, which has nice views of the badlands below.
Our second objective was to hike up to the pictographs on the north side of Ghost Mountain. The red and yellow pigments are still showing but other colors have been lost.
Our final stop was in the Carrizo Badlands to the south. We drove deep into the Arroyo Tapiado which translates to "walled-in dry creek". This is where the largest mud caves in the world were discovered. There are over 20 separate caves and several of the largest are over 1000 feet long and nearly 100 feet high.
The entrances are not always easy to find. The three we explored are known as Tight Cave, Mud Flow Cave, and Plunge Pool Cave. It took some coercion on my part to get my father to enter the caves, but once he did he enjoyed himself. In Tight Cave we encountered large cave spiders in the ceiling and in Mud Flow Cave I found what looked like veins of silica crystals. As with much in the Anza Borrego, 4WD and high clearance are a must. We still managed to get a flat tire which we replaced with the spare.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeb
Summit Driven

Jeb
Summit Driven
PostFri Jan 18, 2013 1:28 pm 
Sweet! Excellent shots, looks like fun.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message