Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hager Mtn LO; a room with a view- Dec 24th-Jan 1st, 2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Jan 22, 2013 9:13 pm 
Thank you all! The destination and amount of time spent there is a "can't miss" with regard to photography. The great thing about a heated interior is that I did not have to test the camera's cold limits much. The battery packs underperformed when low, but bringing a couple others helps. Moisture was an issue on and in the lenses when coming back inside, but really just annoying. I should share that I thought I started the privy on fire on the 6th day; it's a funny story. As I related in the narrative, the CO (carbon monoxide) detectors were going off periodically one day huh.gif I though maybe the change in wind direction was the cause, but while fighting off the urge to put it off after a long nap clown.gif I eventually realized I had some live coals in the ash bucket. Emptying this bucket was the solution, but I didn't like how it had rendered the snow around the LO unfit for water use. The vault toilet seemed like a good idea; I remember using ash on pit toilets to keep the smell down. One crucial difference was, at 10 degrees up there the poo was a tall & narrow cone with a field of TP at the base. Furthermore, it is not used for pee really. Anyway, you can guess the result. I glanced out the LO windows 10 minutes later to see smoke coming out the privy stack. For about 15 anxious minutes I monitored things before standing-down with my pail of meltwater. It sure livened things up & took care of the TP though lol.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostWed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm 
D. Inscho wrote:
Rime view
Rime view
1st must-have 2013 Calendar pic! --Gray

IntoTheWildOregon

IntoTheWildOregon
PostWed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 pm 
Agreed with many comments-great TR. Your observations and presentation are inspiring to encourage others to pay more attention of all the cool, small things on a trip.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostFri Jan 25, 2013 8:01 am 
This guy I used to go to school with in central Oregon said he was deer hunting on Hager Mtn in the 1980s and saw two sets of fresh foot tracks in the snow behind them but saw no one. He implied the tracks were from a ghost of a boy who died up there years ago. Hager Mtn is haunted! wink.gif

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostSat Feb 02, 2013 7:13 pm 
A great TR, thanks. It is truly a great winter experience. A friend and I have been celebrating winter solstice from this lookout for the last 4 years. Lots of great stories. Pretty challenging most years although the year before last was a 3 hour hike to the top. All others were 5-6hour snowshoe trips. I once left the privy door open before ascending to the lookout. The next morning's constitution began with a20 minute shoveling of drifted snow. Some things you just dont learn from a book:-)

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 am 
IntoTheWildOregon wrote:
pay more attention of all the cool, small things on a trip.
"Cool" being the operative word! Here is a pic of me & the hound emerging after one of the storms.
Me & Bodhran at Hager LO
Me & Bodhran at Hager LO
"Hager Mtn is haunted!" I sure enjoyed haunting it for awhile clown.gif Agreed Chief Paulina, great winter hideaway! But say, do share more stories and some pictures tongue.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
evergreen16

evergreen16
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 am 
Pretty Cool!

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 12:17 pm 
An exceptional, and enviable, story - illustrated with so many superlative photos - but this is the one that made me sigh...
Thank you David, for another wonderful trip report!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 06, 2015 5:41 pm 
Holy crap, gorgeous and epic.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers