Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2015-1-31 Mount Saint Helens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeb
Summit Driven

Jeb
Summit Driven
PostTue Feb 03, 2015 8:04 pm 
Fourth time is the charm! Colin and I rolled in to the Marble Mount lot with the teardrop early Saturday morning and quickly passed out. After a few hours of shut eye, we had a leisurely start and hit the trail at 7 as the sunrise colors began to fade.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Worm Flows
Worm Flows
Hardly any snow on Mount Saint Helens
Hardly any snow on Mount Saint Helens
Colin @ Saint Helens
Colin @ Saint Helens
There were less than a dozen vehicles at the trailhead when we left, but we saw at least 100 people throughout the day. A light cloud cover faded away just after we exited the forest. There was almost no snow below 4800 feet, but we went wherever it could be found for easier travel and to stay cool. We carried snowshoes, but did not need them at any point. By 9 a.m. the icy crust from the night before had softened nearly enough to kick steps, but we donned crampons early.
Worm Flows from above
Worm Flows from above
Lava hole
Lava hole
Mount Saint Helens
Mount Saint Helens
Mount Adams
Mount Adams
The summit comes into view
The summit comes into view
Colin below the summit of Mount St. Helens
Colin below the summit of Mount St. Helens
When the summit came into view we traversed west beyond Monitor Ridge, leaving the crowds behind. There were a few tracks from other climbers leading to the summit, but there was enough cornice visible to give us pause. At the saddle to the east we reassessed the situation. A trench test suggested a stable snow pack, and the cornices on the summit were pretty small so we decided it would be safe to proceed.
Summit crater
Summit crater
Crater Rim Pano
Crater Rim Pano
Colin near the summit
Colin near the summit
Summit Pano
Summit Pano
Lava Dome and Dogs Head
Lava Dome and Dogs Head
Summit shot
Summit shot
Mount Hood
Mount Hood
Glissade tracks
Glissade tracks
Looking cool on the summit
Looking cool on the summit
Lava Dome
Lava Dome
Jeb on the summit
Jeb on the summit
After 3 failed attempts it felt amazing to finally get this summit under my belt, and the views were incredible. We hung out at the top for almost an hour before making a quick descent back to Monitor Ridge, where we removed crampons and enjoyed some epic glissades down to the trail.
View larger size in new window

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostWed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 am 
Nice day. That looks sweet. I climbed St Helens in Feb of 1976. With a group from the UofO from the parking above Spirit Lk. We had more snow and more mountain. I had no clue as to the future of that place. Amazed at how big the corn snow was on top and just trying to stay warm.

retired USFS
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Feb 04, 2015 11:24 am 
Congrats. The snow level for Feb is unbelievable. I hope this developing hard crust doesn't make later snow unstable all winter like last year.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Feb 04, 2015 6:09 pm 
I was thinking of snowboarding St Helens this winter but no way with that snowpack! Looks like I'm waiting for spring snows. Thanks for the update!

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Feb 06, 2015 2:39 pm 
Billoutwest wrote:
Nice day. That looks sweet. I climbed St Helens in Feb of 1976. With a group from the UofO from the parking above Spirit Lk. We had more snow and more mountain. I had no clue as to the future of that place. Amazed at how big the corn snow was on top and just trying to stay warm.
I did it two years before you I was 14. It was summer and I saw my first crevasse up close the sun cups were aggravating.That old Dogs head route was a classic and they sure had a nice parking lot there.

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Feb 06, 2015 2:49 pm 
I almost went up there Wednesday but went over to the South cold water trail on the north side. Glad I did there was a huge lenticular cloud swirling around the summit all day. It must have been really windy up there. Nice job on a MSH summit it early July conditions wink.gif