Forum Index > Gear Talk > flashlight recommendation?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikr

hikr
PostWed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 pm 
Hello - What kind of flashlight do you carry in your bag? I haven't been in the flashlight market for a long time. Maglites used to be considered the best general flashlight 15 years ago but for hiking I imagine you want something more compact and lighter weight. And I'm guessing that in 2013 hikers have a favorite flashlight for this?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostWed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 pm 
One of the recent discussions.

huron

huron
PostThu Jan 24, 2013 12:47 am 
plus

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 am 
For day hiking I keep a few tiny princeton tec lights in my pack, one is a scout headlamp. All the ones i have now are discontinued, I stocked up when they closed them out! For planned overnights I also throw in a surefire. can't recall the model but it's LED and the batteries last a LONG time. I've always liked princeton tec. Surefire is great but they are $$$.

Lono

Lono
PostThu Jan 24, 2013 10:17 am 
You mostly can't go wrong with LED, for reliability and durability I carry a ~$30 Fenix 1xAA in my pocket on hikes and also have PrincetonTec headlamps in my pack, and extra batteries in case, although I can't recall ever swapping batteries on a hike. The most useful light though is a 4xAA LED lantern, which is bulky for ultralighters and old in that it doesn't have multiple light settings, but ideal when spreading light inside a tent or during food prep or sitting around in the dark before bed. Light is important, so carry a few - one or more of mine are ready to hand out to a Scout who didn't pack his essentials, or who watches his oldish incadescent flashlight dim within 5 minutes of switching on. The only beef I'll have is with the occasional ultralighter who feels even one flashlight is too many for them, I beg to differ, but I tend towards being prepared and believing the one is none stuff. If you haven't needed a flashlight, that's ok for you - but wait for it. Those who go for maximum durability will swear by Surefires etc, and I know they are good in extreme temperatures and conditions, my kit so far has survived PNW snow camp temps and downpours.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 am 
Any LED head lamp will infinitely more useful than that stone age Mag light.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jan 24, 2013 11:44 am 
Agreed, my favorite flashlight is a good headlamp.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 pm 
Jetbeam RRT-01 http://www.amazon.com/JETBeam-RRT01-Lumen-CREE-Flashlight/dp/B007QYV8OU I'm kind of an LED flashlight gear freak, and this is the best one I've owned by far. Not cheap, though.

goinbigg17

goinbigg17
PostThu Jan 24, 2013 12:48 pm 
Fenix makes some bright and cheap lights. Seem to be good quality too. I was given this light for Christmas, and it's super bright and pretty light too. Streamlight

BC22

BC22
PostMon Jan 28, 2013 3:18 am 
Yes Fenix makes some great lights. I have he LD20 and I love it. It even has some cool accessories available to turn it into a lantern style light which is great for tents.

Smile when the mountain's steepest
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 am 
Ditto the Fenix LD20. Mounted with a lock block to a helmet, been using them for years for dog mushing at night, bike riding, random stuff around the place. I always keep one in my pack loaded w/ lithiums and an extra set of batts. The new Fenix headlamps look really nice though. I like that they've got a 3 lumen setting on them, which is nice for doing little things close up. My older Fenix lights are higher than that on their lowest setting which is somewhat annoying.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jan 28, 2013 9:08 am 
I also own lights from Fenix 4Sevens and Zebralight. They are all good. Zebralight makes some very nice headlamps.

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostMon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 pm 
A very small Fenix E11 flashlight, 115 lumes or 38 lumes on low. Takes one AA battery.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm 
Some things you just get comfortable with, like Bic lighters and Maglite flashlights. I still use a AA Maglite, because it allows some level of redundancy with batteries, which I also use in my camera. So I know I could steal the batteries from one to use in the other if I run through my spares. I use the more efficient newer bulbs, and having a backup on board, along with the battery redundancy, means I should never have to go without light. Plus I like the ability to focus the beam. The little anti roll rubber collar add on is also very handy when camping.