Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Mention of Jesus statue on USFS land creates flap
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri Mar 01, 2013 11:22 am 
mike wrote:
Rather it's mostly christians who are in your face with their religion.
And yet, Christians getting "in your face" with their religion is rarely accompanied by the stench of burning human flesh and body parts falling from the skies.
Christians getting in your face

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Mar 01, 2013 1:23 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
And yet, Christians getting "in your face" with their religion is rarely accompanied by the stench of burning human flesh and body parts falling from the skies.
All in the Good Christian Spirit: The Crusades Spanish Inquistion Witch Burning hmmm...

friluftsliv
SaneNoMore

SaneNoMore
PostFri Mar 01, 2013 1:51 pm 
Yup lets blame all Christians for the acts of the Catholic Church and a small group of Puritans... Thats fair.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Mar 01, 2013 3:15 pm 
SaneNoMore wrote:
Yup lets blame all Christians for the acts of the Catholic Church and a small group of Puritans... Thats fair.
Perpetrated hundreds of years ago, no less. Surely the descendants, whoever they may be, are just as guilty as their ancestors. I don't know of too many religions that don't promote themselves. They believe they have something to offer and they want people to know about it. No big deal as long as it's nothing more than advertising. There are extremists in every corner of human civilization. The Taliban and the Westboro Baptists. I submit they're simply two sides of the same idealistic coin.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri Mar 01, 2013 3:28 pm 
boot up wrote:
The Angry Hiker wrote:
All in the Good Christian Spirit: The Crusades Spanish Inquistion Witch Burning hmmm...
Yup, they were burning witches at the Union Gospel Mission last night.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostFri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 pm 
boot up wrote:
"Historically, hospitals were often founded and funded by Christians..." well, at least people who follow "christian" teachings should "love your enemy..." ..or neighbor, ... or help poor, feed the hungry... And Crusades were more political than anything to stop Muslim (arabs) invasion of Europe... But, then, why remember all the good was done in the name of Christ when you can use christianity as... well... hockeygrin.gif P.S. I do not think there should be funny looking statues on the tops of the hills claiming to be Jesus. (and Jesus was not white wink.gif )

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
AR

AR
PostSat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
That one always gets me...the Anglo-Saxon Jesus. I'm thinking Jesus would have stuck out quite a bit as a native to the Jerusalem area.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 pm 

don't believe everything you think
mike

mike
PostSat Mar 02, 2013 6:38 pm 
rotf.gif

contour5

contour5
PostSat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm 
Where I grew up- catholic church- Jesus always had a little flap- to cover up his private/naughty/junk bits. So a flap is really nothing new...

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Mar 04, 2013 10:16 am 

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Mar 04, 2013 1:33 pm 
My last post probably wasn't in compliance with forum rules so I deleted it. At any rate, speaking as a Christian and from a Christian perspective, I would say that creation is much more enjoyable and reflective of God's goodness when it is not marred by gaudy religious relics. If people aren't going to discern God's still, small voice (1 Kings 19:11-12) in nature as it is, they aren't going to here it when religionists deface nature with an in-your-face icon on land that belongs equally to both believer and "infidel." While not nearly as loud and obnoxious, respect for others has a way of being heard and understood much more clearly.

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker
PostMon Mar 11, 2013 1:43 pm 
"I don't care if it rains or freezes..." Regarding the worship of idols, it seems that things went wrong when man began scaling them down. In the old days, you didn't pay homage to a scaled down medallion of the sun or a pile of dirt that kind of looked like your local volcano - you went for the real thing - something which could kill you, change the weather, give life, and do all that cool God stuff. Then we started praying to them, like they were little microphones to heaven, then they needed their own sound studios, which had to be really, really big. Pray to the sun or a mountain and nobody's gonna call you crazy - but a dashboard Jesus? Hmmm. Once we started making statues n stuff, we started fighting about them when somebody's dog peed on them or they wound up in funny hats early Saturday morning. I will admit to having a thing for Baby Jesus's in the Manger - how can you not take that holy little tyke home with you? My collection got too big, however, then I had to face the real problem - how to you properly and anonymously dispose of a Baby Jesus, particularly when your neighbor might recognize it?

"We are, all of us, in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Tvashtar
Tvashtalker

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker
PostMon Mar 11, 2013 1:49 pm 
It's safe to say that modern Christians have continued their historical legacy of damning science and human rights with characteristic vigor - from anti-gay and anti-women legislation to monetarily supporting the killing of gays in Africa. Any philosophy where a) you're chosen, b) everyone else is damned and c) science is bunk - is a dead end in this increasingly crowded world - just from a basic survival standpoint, of nothing else. Fortunately, religion and its colorful cast of invisible, psychotic characters is in rapid decline in America - we're finally catching up with the rest of the modern world after all.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Tvashtar
Tvashtalker

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker
PostMon Mar 11, 2013 3:23 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
mike wrote:
Rather it's mostly christians who are in your face with their religion.
A person executed in Uganda for being gay, something today's Christians actively support with their donations, seems just as dead to me, although I guess you can't really call them 'heroes'. Ditto for gay teen suicides - often caused by familial rejection due to Christian beliefs, leading to homelessness, leading to.... When I think of today's fundamentalist religions, two defining words come to mind: Ignorance and cruelty, with the former producing the latter.