Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > King County buys development rights to White River Forest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostThu Mar 21, 2013 4:30 pm 
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/03/king-county-buys-development-rights-to-white-river-forest/
Quote:
King County, reaching one of the biggest deals of its kind, has agreed to buy development rights on a 43,000-acre forest stretching from Enumclaw to Greenwater along the White River. County Executive Dow Constantine announced the $11.1 million deal with Hancock Timber Resources Group at a news conference Thursday, saying it will expand the county’s “green wall against sprawl.” The deal, approved Thursday by the Hancock board of directors, is subject to approval by the Metropolitan King County Council. Councilmembers Larry Phillips and Reagan Dunn, chair and vice chair respectively of the council’s Transportation, Economy and Environment Committee, declared their support for the agreement. Constantine said the forest is the largest block of privately owned land in the county that isn’t already protected from development. It would continue to be operated as a working forest, with the public allowed to use the land for recreation. The biggest deal of this type was King County’s 2004 purchase of development rights on Hancock’s 89,000-acre Snoqualmie tree farm.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Mar 21, 2013 4:39 pm 
Similar to Center Island Forest on Vashon; it's a working forest, too. This is really good news!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Mar 21, 2013 4:46 pm 
Working forest with recreation: better than a subdivision or strip mall. up.gif up.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu Mar 21, 2013 5:33 pm 
Hmmm, the article says that the public will be allowed to use the land for recreation. I wonder if that means a continuation of the status quo in terms of both cost and gates?

Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostThu Mar 21, 2013 7:13 pm 
Probably so, as typically when they purchase the development rights, Hancock will be able to continue managing the land as needed, just without developing it.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.