Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Washington 1-19-2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostSat Jan 19, 2013 10:08 pm 
With limited time and the weird snow conditions, I chose Mt. Washington for an easy hike/snowshoe. The snow is very compacted on the regular trail. When i got to the Great Wall junction I decided to add some distance and maybe get a chance to use the snowshoes. The first part worked out as planned, but no need for snowshoes anywhere on the trail. The east aspect of the unnamed point had what looked like very stable snow. But with the icy layers on top, I wouldn't want to be there after a fresh snowfall. A fun hike and complete solitude on the alternative trail. 3.5 hours to the top, 1.5 back down on the normal trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 20, 2013 12:47 am 
Nice frosty pictures. up.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Jan 20, 2013 12:33 pm 
woutervw wrote:
Great trip woutervw. If I understand your report and the photos you were below Change Peak, 4320'. This photo shows it above the big rock outcrop. EastKing and I were up there last year enroute to Greenway Mtn. From this side you have to penetrate very dense young trees to reach the summit. It's easier to approach from the north. And that second photo shows the eventual moat that opens up below that wall. That's a rather interesting place to cross later in the season when the moat opens more.
woutervw wrote:
The east aspect of the unnamed point had what looked like very stable snow. But with the icy layers on top, I wouldn't want to be there after a fresh snowfall.
We traversed this section. It was quite dicey, very steep and a long ways to the bottom---not a good place in avalanche or icy conditions. It looks like you and your buddy had a great day up there. ~z

woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostSun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 pm 
zephyr wrote:
If I understand your report and the photos you were below Change Peak, 4320'.
Is that what it's called? No name on the USGS map for the point. It's the one west of Change Creek.
zephyr wrote:
We traversed this section. It was quite dicey, very steep and a long ways to the bottom---not a good place in avalanche or icy conditions.
The forest road still makes a good platform, so you don't have to worry about triggering a slide below you. The stuff above you is a different story. It all looked stable, but I still waited at each open area above me to catch my breath and then walk real fast until I reached the next trees.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Jan 20, 2013 2:32 pm 
woutervw wrote:
Is that what it's called? No name on the USGS map for the point. It's the one west of Change Creek.
Yes, EK mentions that it's an unofficial name in his SP page. Another mention here on WTA page.
woutervw wrote:
The forest road still makes a good platform, so you don't have to worry about triggering a slide below you. The stuff above you is a different story. It all looked stable, but I still waited at each open area above me to catch my breath and then walk real fast until I reached the next trees.
Yes, sounds like us. If we are talking the same spot between the peak and the creek, the road bed was completely covered, no platform, just an angled slope with fairly hard snow. We took turns going across. In fact, I just looked at it again. You can see me crossing it. Fun times. ~z