Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is this Washington's favorite illegal camping spot?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 8:45 pm 
Boywonder wrote:
The #1 worst offender in traffic in my opinion is the tailgater. I
I agree. I drive 30 miles a day (each way) to work up 405 from Renton to Canyon Park so I've pretty much seen it all In regards to tailgaters, I never get tailgated for more than about 5 seconds. I just change lanes and let him tailgate someone else. Contrary to what someone said above I have never been unable to do this, duh.... If it is a 2 lane road I will pull off/turn off and let him go by. It isn't worth the anguish. In reality very easy to avoid the tailgater. I don't see a ton of it on my commute, but occasionally do.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 8:50 pm 
ejain wrote:
boot up wrote:
If the truck is in the right lane as it legally should be, no one would be able to pass on the right. huh.gif
I agree, but passing the truck on the right is still neither legal nor smart :-) Also, people trying to pass on the right sometimes don't seem to realize that the right lane is about to end, or that there is slower traffic ahead...
To be fair to truck drivers, they usually aren't the problem. It is more often a car that is clogging things up (slow moving Volvo, hypermiling Prius/hybrid or some other nonsense). Most of the big trucks are OK, and the motor-home drivers and such usually at least try and get over to the rightmost lane whenever possible. I think a lot of the problem with motor-home drivers is they are often inexperienced at driving such a large vehicle, or too old to be doing so or perhaps distracted since they are in effect driving a house.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 8:56 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Oh, another tailgaiter defense technique is to just take my foot off the gas until they back off. This sometimes works for about 30 seconds, but they have short memories. I get over and let them pass when I can, but sometimes it's not really an option.
I agree tailgating sux. I don't understand why you can't just change lanes, or pull off if you have to to let the tailgater tailgate someone else. I never put up with a tailgater more than a few seconds. It isn't rocket science. I don't remember a time when one of the two things didn't solve the problem (for me).

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 8:54 am 
I try not to tailgate but I know I have. Usually it is on a freeway where the person in the left lane is going the same speed as the cars in the other lane and not making any effort to pass and there is no one in front of them. After a few minutes it is just aggravating. If there are cars in front so they are limited, I don't get angry at the guy in front of me but I harbor ill will towards the car in the front, who isn't passing anyone. Last week on the dirt road leading from Staircase, I quickly came up to an old vw bus. I didn't tailgate him but he knew I could travel on the road faster than he could/was and on that twisty road I was not going to try passing him. About a 1/4 mile further on, he pulled off to the right when he could and let me pass. I waved thank you.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."

jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 10:23 am 
Ski wrote:
well, you can thank the original planners and the 1956 Act which created the Interstate freeway system for that: it required the Interstates to go through all the State Capitols.
What about Juneau, Dover, Jefferson City, Pierre and Carson City?

guns don't kill people, blood loss and organ damage do.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 10:49 am 
dunno... maybe they didn't consider them high-priority security areas. (be a hell of a trick to run an interstate to Juneau though, wouldn't it? wink.gif )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 12:59 pm 
Ski wrote:
(be a hell of a trick to run an interstate to Juneau though, wouldn't it? wink.gif )
yet hawaii has one. Must be one long tunnel running to the mainland. hockeygrin.gif

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 3:15 pm 
tigermn wrote:
In regards to tailgaters, I never get tailgated for more than about 5 seconds. I just change lanes and let him tailgate someone else. Contrary to what someone said above I have never been unable to do this, duh.... If it is a 2 lane road I will pull off/turn off and let him go by.
Ding ding ding - we have a winner! At least WRT handling tailgating. I wish there were as reasonable a cure for the left lane as..., excuse me, campers. Note that "tolerating them" is a coping strategy, not a cure!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Mar 20, 2016 6:25 pm 
I wonder how many illegal campers the WSP nabbed this past week!? WSP emphasizes illegal left lane use this past week
Quote:
The Washington State Patrol will be looking for left lane campers during a special statewide emphasis patrol Wednesday through Friday. The State Patrol says many Washington State drivers are unaware that driving in the left lane for extended periods of time can be against the law. The left lane is designed to operate as a passing lane. From March 16-18, troopers will focus their efforts on locating and stopping left lane violators. Last year, the Washington State Patrol stopped 13,909 left lane law violators.