Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is this Washington's favorite illegal camping spot?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtngirl79

mtngirl79
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 pm 
Maybe the reason Washington drivers are so bad is because rather than just driving courteously and sensible, they get all caught up over who is right and who is wrong and what the laws are and how those laws should be interpreted... Just drive and don't mess up the flow of traffic and let the other guy in?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
This is funny. I can't find it, but a recent PI article said that only 20% of the population in the Seattle area are native born here Warshingtonians. So, I don't think we are the culprits.
Far be it for me to suggest the left-lane parkers are native-born drysiders gobsmacked by all the people, fast cars, flashing lights, tall buildings, and whatnot, goldurn it! lol.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 pm 
The Washington State official driver's guide (page 36) states: On a road with two or more lanes traveling in the same direction, stay in the right lane except to pass. On a road with three or more lanes traveling in the same direction, if there is a lot of entering or exiting traffic, use the center travel lane. Unless directed to do so by officials or signs, never drive on the shoulder of the road. Passing – On a road with two lanes traveling in the same direction, the left-hand lane is intended to be used for passing slower vehicles. On roads with more than two lanes traveling in the same direction, use the right lane for slower speeds, the middle lanes for higher speeds, and the left-hand lane for passing only. This official guide and the law say nothing about it being ok to stay in the middle lane if you are driving at the speed limit. The law specifically says to keep right unless passing. Aside from the law, the science of traffic flow supports the keep to the right rule. If two cars are approaching a car in the middle lane at different speeds, the car camping in the middle lane may end up blocking the slower of the approaching cars. This may or may not be justified, but you can't argue with the fact that middle lane travel impedes traffic flow.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 6:53 pm 
mtngirl79 wrote:
Just drive and don't mess up the flow of traffic and let the other guy in?
I would be much more receptive to this idea if people actually made an effort to merge into traffic. Common practice in this state is to signal, then slam the wheel to the left, regardless of speed. This is not merging, and I will not let someone in courteously, and smile at them, as long as they continue this practice. Traffic here is nightmare at best, if we all try to drive with others in mind, and not in our own little world, things could work better. Selfish drivers have "baby on board" signs, and I continue to remind them that, if I have a choice, I'm gonna t-bone your car first, over any vehicle not displaying such an arrogant statement.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm 
mtngirl79 wrote:
Just drive and don't mess up the flow of traffic and let the other guy in?
Obviously, for many people here, far easier said than done.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 pm 
captain jack wrote:
Selfish drivers have "baby on board" signs, and I continue to remind them that, if I have a choice, I'm gonna t-bone your car first, over any vehicle not displaying such an arrogant statement.
A sign on someone's car ruffles your feathers? Sheesh.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 pm 
The whole topic of traffic complaints makes me sick to my stomach. Traffic is just one of the results from social diversity, Not saying its good or bad, it just is! Its how people have learned to behave over generations. Hate fuels the world, and it shouldn't! We have been conditioned to entitlement. Its always about "Me". One of my (many) traffic issues - What gives you the right to stop traffic behind you to let someone into traffic from a parking lot. Your extra nice to that one person, and piss off several others. I see this as a shellfish act. If you stop to let me out of a parking lot while traffic is flowing, your going to get the finger and then probably a few upset drivers. I drive 10-100 miles daily all over King and Snohomish Countys. I see it all. I've also had my share of mistakes and seeking accountability from others. What i've learned is the only one I have to account for is me and my actions. If I over react to A-hole on the road the other drivers see two A-holes! My fingers cant keep up with my thoughts. 2 things I truly belive will help traffic in this state. 1st is to remove the "Limit" word from our speed signs, this suggests that 40 in a 60 is ok. Many states speed signs read "Speed ##" or even "Speed minimum ##". 2nd is to redefine "Carpool" to two or more licenced drivers. A 5 y/o in the back seat is not easing traffic. Or even better, remove it all together and force buss to stay in right lane. I know there is no one solution and its taken 100 years of driving to get here.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 pm 
Quote:
Allstate says Seattle drivers are bad September 1, 2011 As you drove to work this morning, you may have grumbled about all the idiots behind the wheel. You were right. A national survey by Allstate Insurance Co. ranks Seattle drivers near the bottom. Motorists in Bellevue and Tacoma don't come out much better. The report, "Allstate America's Best Drivers Report," looks at accident data. The company's actuaries go through claims to figure out how often drivers will have a crash. Data from 193 American cities were analyzed... Seattle ranked 147th, down from 128th last year. Allstate said drivers here go an average of eight years between accidents and that we are 25 percent more likely than the national average of 10 years to have an accident.
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Allstate-says-Seattle-drivers-are-bad-2150920.php

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 11:57 pm 
Probably has more to do with driving conditions (rain, traffic congestion, etc.) than driver. Portland is very similar in rank in the 2012 report.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 am 
It's all those out of state drivers thinking they can drive like a bat out of hell in the left lane because they are used to that. Calm down, move to the right and let us natives have the left lane where it's nice and smooth. hockeygrin.gif I like to look at the mountains and if Mt Rainer is out...well all bets are off. There are far too many raptors along the freeways now. Blame them...... We aren't all road raged to the max or in a gawd awful hurry to arrive 60 seconds earlier than YOU. We don't care about NASCAR and have no desire to learn. Driving isn't a sport, so get over it. If you really are that stressed over left hand drivers then go back to where ever you came from. Leave us natives alone. If 80% of the drivers are from out of state, then blame your cohorts. You've really screwed it up haven't you! Maybe it's time to build a couple more left hand lanes just for you?....or just deal with it like everyone else has to. shakehead.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 am 
DogNTallGrass wrote:
2 things I truly belive will help traffic in this state. 1st is to remove the "Limit" word from our speed signs, this suggests that 40 in a 60 is ok.
up.gif Excellent idea. When I grew up in Oregon, there were no speed limits on highways, but the "Basic Speed" rule was the law. This meant the driver was responsible for determining safe and proper speed, and could be ticketed for exceeding the posted number even if traveling under the sign's speed if traffic/weather conditions dictated. It also meant that if you were traveling over the posted number and weather/traffic/vehicle conditions were right, no ticket was necessary. We should return to this, and get the traffic cops used to doing something useful, like capturing trailhead vandals/thieves and meth heads, etc. Montana used to have no daytime speed limits on highways, but changed this maybe 10 years ago, and my assumption is that enough Californians and east coasters moved to the area and mucked it all up. My limiting factor was how much fuel I burned going back and forth through Montana, not the "unlimited speed". Over about 75, my car(s) really sucked fuel. However, over the course of 1500 miles, I could save one night in a motel, so it was advantageous. Now, I stop two nights anyway 'cause I can afford it, and don't really like driving 7-900 miles per day anymore. But in order to even considering doing this would require a massive education effort. Many people I observe do not know how to drive. They know how to operate the machine, but can't drive effectively. And that I fear, is a lost cause.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
touron

touron
PostFri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 pm 
Camping in the Left Lane (with apologies to Brownsville Station) How you doin' out there? Y'ever seem to have one of those days where it just seems like the commute is just getting to ya, whether you're drivin to work or to the trail? Well, y'know, I used to have 'em just about all the time. But I found a way to get out of 'em. Let me tell you about it! Driving down the highway traffic's startin' to drag 50 in a 65 just ain't my bag The car beside me speeds up you know it's my cue Flash my signal light and I'm in lane number two Camping in the left lane Camping in the left lane Now people don't fill me up with your rules Cuz everybody knows that camping in the left lane's cool I wait another minute till I see a space that's free A twitch of the wheel and I'm in lane number three I'm with my camping buddies, I've hit the cruise control I tilt my seat back a notch, KING OF THE ROAD! Camping in the left lane Camping in the left lane Now people don't fill me up with your rules Cuz everybody knows that camping in the left lane's cool Wheel's set at 12 O'clock, speed at 65 Pop a can of soda, it's good to be alive There's campers piled up beind 100 end to end Uh--how did I create such a popular trend? Camping in the left lane Camping in the left lane Now people don't fill me up with your rules Cuz everybody knows that camping in the left lane's cool Think I'll slow down a tad fix something to eat Got makin's for a picnic, right in the back seat Burgers salad snack cake, this camper can boast And my cigarette lighter for a marshmallow roast Camping in the left lane Camping in the left lane Now people don't fill me up with your rules Cuz everybody knows that camping in the left lane's cool

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 03, 2014 3:16 pm 
WA State Police bust left-lane squatters
Quote:
Troopers patrolling the roads there say that one of the biggest problems they see, and that they actively enforce, is the state's keep-right-except-to-pass-rule. Meaning, if you're sitting in the left lane, and the right lane is open, they'll pull the driver over, explain the law, and in some cases, issue a written warning or ticket.
up.gif

ejain

ejain
PostTue Jun 03, 2014 11:13 pm 
joker wrote:
WA State Police bust left-lane squatters
Quote:
Troopers patrolling the roads there say that one of the biggest problems they see, and that they actively enforce, is the state's keep-right-except-to-pass-rule. Meaning, if you're sitting in the left lane, and the right lane is open, they'll pull the driver over, explain the law, and in some cases, issue a written warning or ticket.
up.gif
Glad to hear that the keep-right-except-to-pass-rule is being enforced. But I'm surprised that this would be considered "one of the biggest problems"--it certainly doesn't make my list of the top ten most dangerous behaviors I see on the road.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 7:10 am 
It creates traffic back ups which are inherently more dangerous than open traffic and it encourages people to pass on the right, which is very dangerous. I don't think a lot of people realize how dangerous passing on the right is, especially passing larger vehicles like semi's and RV's but pickup trucks and SUV's too. The blind spot on that side is much bigger and harder to check. I saw a semi with a bumper sticker on the left bumper that said "pass on this side" and a sticker on the right side that said "suicide on this side".