Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is this Washington's favorite illegal camping spot?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 1:17 pm 
Daryl wrote:
I saw a semi with a bumper sticker on the left bumper that said "pass on this side" and a sticker on the right side that said "suicide on this side".
Good one! I saw a similar one with the Deadhead theme, it was the word "Grateful" with an arrow pointing to the left, and the word "Dead" with an arrow pointing to the right.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ejain

ejain
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 1:28 pm 
Daryl wrote:
It creates traffic back ups which are inherently more dangerous than open traffic and it encourages people to pass on the right, which is very dangerous.
Left lane campers certainly don't help with traffic flow, but traffic back ups are dangerous because (and to some degree the consequence of) people not keeping safe distances.
Daryl wrote:
I don't think a lot of people realize how dangerous passing on the right is, especially passing larger vehicles like semi's and RV's
Bonus points for using the truck lane to pass :-)

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 3:05 pm 
If the truck is in the right lane as it legally should be, no one would be able to pass on the right. huh.gif

friluftsliv
ejain

ejain
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 3:25 pm 
boot up wrote:
If the truck is in the right lane as it legally should be, no one would be able to pass on the right. huh.gif
I agree, but passing the truck on the right is still neither legal nor smart :-) Also, people trying to pass on the right sometimes don't seem to realize that the right lane is about to end, or that there is slower traffic ahead...

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 3:46 pm 
I wonder how many of the folks who complain about lane campers practice tailgating.....

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 4:31 pm 
I wonder how many people defending lane campers ARE lane campers? Going the usual 5to 10 mph under the speed limit in the fast lane, ideally matching speed to a car next to them, with wide open freeway in front of them and a wave of traffic stuck behind them?

friluftsliv
Boywonder

Boywonder
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 5:02 pm 
I drive roughly 25,000 miles every year commuting into Seattle and have been doing so since 1998. The #1 worst offender in traffic in my opinion is the tailgater. I will sit in the right hand lane on 167 in the early morning hours before the big traffic backup and still get tailgated. I am talking a few feet off of my bumper. The left two lanes over are wide open but they think they can get me to drive faster. I get the exact same kind of idiots on I-5 even sitting in the right or middle lane. If I am not driving at least 70 I get tailgated. I drive roughly 61-64 to give you an idea. Save the environment and slow down you will burn less fuel. And yes most folks around here have not clue how a four way stop works. 2nd worst offender are the folks who drive the Toyota Prius on the highways headed to Mt. Rainier. During the commute every day most Prius's I see are going well above the speed limit (especially the yellow cabs). But for some reason on the weekends headed to the mountain 99% of all Prius drivers slow down to 10 under the speed limit. Baffles the mind. 3rd worst offender are Subaru drivers - overall extremely impatient. Not all of them but most I have seen. And 99% of them driving up to Paradise in the winter will tailgate unless you are driving 40 in the compact snow and ice. Holy cow rant city - I feel better now getting that off my chest.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 8:22 pm 
^ that's because the guy driving the Prius is the one who used to drive a Volvo. I don't drive that many miles anymore. used to do at least 100K+ every year in sales (7 states). I would agree that the greater menace is the tailgater. between the Ardena curve at Fife and Des Moines a guy might think he was on the LA freeway at 8 am.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 7:00 am 
boot up wrote:
Because trucks can legally go to the left and/or center lane to pass slower vehicles in the right lane. Then because of left lane campers and right lane passers you get stuck in the left/center lane. I tow a 30' trailer often and go the speed limit. I run into this all the time. If only everyone drove the same speed...

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 11:48 am 
This is what I have noticed about traffic after having moved here last year. Now mind you that most of my driving is in the south sound area (Tacoma down through Olympia). I have never seen so many people on the freeway that stick to the speed limit. I see people all the time in the left lane doing 60! Not passing anyone. Even when they have a line of cars behind them. I remember years ago when I lived in VA that some people got on the freeway and took up all the lanes and just went the speed limit. caused a huge jam of cars behind them. Eventually the state police pulled them all over and cited them for obstructing the flow of traffic. And do they teach people to NOT speed up to merge with traffic up here? Not sure how many times I have gotten behind people who trying to merge onto the freeway doing 45mph. Finally just remember that everyone slower than you is an ass#### and everyone faster is a maniac.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Boywonder

Boywonder
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 11:53 am 
Voxxjin wrote:
And do they teach people to NOT speed up to merge with traffic up here? Not sure how many times I have gotten behind people who trying to merge onto the freeway doing 45mph
Yup you nailed it. I see it everyday, they will merge at 30-40mph slow down the traffic and then punch the gas and fly into the left hand lane doing 70-80. They have a delayed reaction of some sort.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 pm 
Voxxjin wrote:
"...most of my driving is in the south sound area (Tacoma down through Olympia"
major radar-trap area between 512 and Martin Way. particularly at Mounts Road and just north of the Martin Way exit. get north of the Puyallup River Bridge on I-5 and you'd think you entered a different world.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 2:21 pm 
Ski wrote:
major radar-trap area between 512 and Martin Way. particularly at Mounts Road and just north of the Martin Way exit.
I've seen them pull over a few cars. many times I see them on south I-5 between Mounts Rd and the bridge over the Nisqually. BTW that area is the worst when there is an accident on I-5. There is no way to get around the accident. No service roads, no exits to side streets to get past it. You are just stuck.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 2:32 pm 
if you can get off (southbound) at Mounts Road you can cross the river at Old Nisqually and connect to Martin Way.
Voxxjin wrote:
that area is the worst when there is an accident on I-5
well, you can thank the original planners and the 1956 Act which created the Interstate freeway system for that: it required the Interstates to go through all the State Capitols. otherwise it would have followed the original route of 99: Roy Y to Roy, McKenna, Yelm, Rainier, Tenino- bypassing altogether the Nisqually Delta and that gorge just south of the State Capitol. (you did know that they originally constructed the freeway over the Delta atop wood pilings where it runs through that marsh, right?) smile.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 3:51 pm 
Agree that left lane campers are extremely annoying and can cause traffic to stop flowing the way it should. However tailgaters are a whole different kind of problem. Extremely dangerous and unjustifiable. No matter how good of a driver you think you are, a few feet is not a reasonable following distance probably even on surface streets, let alone a freeway. I will repeatedly brake check tailgaters. They usually are not capable of learning, but I try to educate them anyway. I am particularly sensitive to tailgaiters because I have been rear-ended 4 or 5 times, I've lost track. I thought for a while I had a magnet or a target on my back bumper. And no I wasn't brake checking in any of those instances. Oh, another tailgaiter defense technique is to just take my foot off the gas until they back off. This sometimes works for about 30 seconds, but they have short memories. I get over and let them pass when I can, but sometimes it's not really an option. I don't know what their mindset can possibly be. Often I'd like to be going faster as well but there are 100 cars in front of me, I can't driver faster than the car directly in front of me is going. Tailgaiters SUCK!