Forum Index > Trip Reports > Echo Ridge - X Ski (Chelan) 2/2/13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 pm 
Wow! What I've been missing! doof.gif Year after year I intended to get out and go to Echo Ridge and today I made it happen for the first time. It's about an hour and a half drive from Leavenworth, but well worth it. There are some "luge course" shaded portions on the road after turning up Boyd Road between Chelan and Manson. At 10:00 AM there were only 2 cars in the parking lot...on a Saturday morning! uhh.gif It's $10, self-pay, and there I am with a $20 bill. Who pulls up, but people from up the street in Leavenworth to give me change. *Remember to bring cash/check for this area. I started out on the wide-open sun-drenched "No-Where to Hide" trail, immediately impressed.
Echo Ridge Trails
Echo Ridge Trails
Stormy Mt. Across Lake Chelan
Stormy Mt. Across Lake Chelan
Eastside Cross-Country
Eastside Cross-Country
After a few K's, I hit some shaded, icy, hilly sections, that required valor, both up and down.
Frozen Hardpack Here
Frozen Hardpack Here
Russell's Butte (foreground) & Washington Butte (?)
Russell's Butte (foreground) & Washington Butte (?)
What's not to like?
What's not to like?
Map in hand, I looped around, got back in the sun and went up to Point 3825 for lunch.
Off-Trail to Point 3825' (Wells Summit)
Off-Trail to Point 3825' (Wells Summit)
Tools of the Trade
Tools of the Trade
On Point 3825'
On Point 3825'
Lunch Rocks
Lunch Rocks
I started seeing a handful of people by now and I understood: A long spell without new snow here , they were waiting for the afternoon softening of conditions. Still only a dozen cars in the lot when I left. Give some love to Echo Ridge! peace.gif
Goat Mt. (Near Pateros)
Goat Mt. (Near Pateros)
Chelan Butte (3835':) from Wells Summit (3825':)
Chelan Butte (3835') from Wells Summit (3825')
Chelan Trench and Columbia Trench
Chelan Trench and Columbia Trench
Pyramid and Cardinal (?) from SE
Pyramid and Cardinal (?) from SE
Unknown Peaks to the NE
2 labels
Unknown Peaks to the NE
Enchantments (from NE)
Enchantments (from NE)

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gratenate

gratenate
PostSat Feb 02, 2013 10:22 pm 
Wow! Is right! I'd much rather be skiing in sunny BC than doing YogaX and listening to the rain. Skiing on a sunny winter day, what's not to like!!!

Nate Keep it secret...keep it safe
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 pm 
Here's a link for information/maps on Echo Ridge: http://www.lakechelannordic.org/index.php?page_id=212 Keep in mind: * Bring exact amount for self-pay. * Check the groomer's report. If there is no new snow, one might plan a later arrival to avoid early morning frozen hardpack. I think my "Unknown Peak" photo might be Moses Mountain. uhh.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 9:15 pm 
Wow, that looks like a great place for some classic nordic skiing! Thanks for posting.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 am 
Nice place to do some winter X-C. up.gif up.gif But don't go up there in the summer without a trail map. It is such a rat maze of trails you can easily get confused. A few summers ago my wife and I and one of my cousin's and her husband were within a half mile of our car but could not figure out which trail to take back even though everything is well marked with signs. She finally called her hotel and ask them to look at the map on their wall and give us directions.