Forum Index > Trail Talk > Three people missing after two avalanches by Snoqualmie Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:34 pm 
King 5 just posted this on facebook: "Three people missing after two avalanches near Exit 47 on Interstate 90". frown.gif EDIT: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/3-missing-2-injured-after-avalanches-near-Snoqualmie-Pass-202860091.html "The first avalanche, on Granite Mountain, injured two people and left one missing. The site is near milepost 47 on Interstate 90. The second avalanche, on Red Muontain near milepost 52 in the vicinity of the Alpental Ski Area off I-90, left two people missing."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:38 pm 
Just looking at the pictures up on the pass it looks like a mess. I hope everyone is found and OK. I don't feel so bad now about staying home.

iron

iron
PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:29 pm 
we saw SAR at the exit 47 road around 4:00pm. lots of flashing lights. hoping for good news...

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:29 pm 
King 5 just said the Red Mtn party of 12 are ok. A single shoer seems to in stable condition after her dog alerted the big party. Tom

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm 
Vibes to the victims, their friends and family. We lift skied at the pass today. Big powder dump and windy, so loading is likely. We saw an ambulance on the Alpental road and news cams at Exit 47. Be careful out there. If you stay below avy terrain, watch for tree well hazards.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Apr 13, 2013 9:33 pm 
I believe one is still missing on Granite Mt. frown.gif Plans are being scaled way back for tomorrow.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 13, 2013 10:37 pm 
God bless those missing and their families.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 12:09 am 
Some of my boealps pals - including coworkers and people ive climbed with before - were climbing in the commonwealth basin for an outing... pretty scary.

wolffie

wolffie
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 12:17 am 
This is really frustrating, because presumably the Granite Mt. thing was in that gully, which might be the most notorious avalanche site in the state. Considering the storm, I was surprised that the NWAC avalanche rose rated the danger only "considerable" between 3-7k'. Sounds like it was an extremely close call for several people. One is missing. frown.gif Sounds like that dog was a real hero today. [edit Monday: If NWAC listed "High" or "Extreme" all the time, people would think they're crying wolf, and ignore it.]

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
God bless those missing and their families.
up.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
oldwhiner

oldwhiner
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:45 am 
There needs to be more avalanche education and more people taking it. It's so easy for people to buy the gear and go out. Unfortunately avalanche training isn't hanging on the rack next to the snow shoes and poles. There are good classes, books and websites available. There are winter trail guide books that rate the avalanche potential of each trail in the book. Both groups could have made preventative decisions with a little more information. We are the ones responsible for taking the risk. Most of the I-90 trails are on or at the bottom of steep avalanche slopes. Combine that terrain with piles of fresh snow on top of a warm, weakening snow pack and you have a recipe for avalanche. My heart goes out to those involved in these tragedies. But both areas are notorious for spring avalanches. Fluffy new powder is great to be in. We can play in it safely. Prevention and good judgement are the best safety tools we have. Safety first please - so I get to hike with you another day. frown.gif

Dreaming - a wistful dilemma between hope and disappointment, perpetuated by occasional bouts of happiness.
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:23 am 
I just heard on the news that the hypothermic woman from Red Mountain died. frown.gif This is awful.

hbb

hbb
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:15 am 
wolffie wrote:
Considering the storm, I was surprised that the NWAC avalanche rose rated the danger only "considerable" between 3-7k'.
"Considerable" danger is defined as follows:
Quote:
Dangerous avalanche conditions. Careful snowpack evaluation, cautious route-finding and conservative decision-making essential. Natural avalanches possible; human- triggered avalanches likely.
For the most part, "High" and "Extreme" differ from "Considerable" with respect to increased size and likelihood of natural avalanches. I don't see many reports of widespread natural avalanches yesterday, and most observed avalanches were relatively small. Remember, even on a day with only "Considerable" danger, human-triggered avalanches are "likely," and the conditions are "dangerous."

ergalthema

ergalthema
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:44 am 
What is the best system to check for avalanche danger? Just the NWAC site and knowing what to look for?

christensent

christensent
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 am 
hbb wrote:
Remember, even on a day with only "Considerable" danger, human-triggered avalanches are "likely," and the conditions are "dangerous."
I feel like unfortunately, considerable is a rating that a lot of backcountry users treat as being less dangerous than it is. I wonder if the use of red for high is not the best idea since red is instinctively stop, and not red could be thought of as don't stop. I wonder if people would put more thought into the forecast if it were just a gradient of darknesses of a single color.
ergalthema wrote:
What is the best system to check for avalanche danger? Just the NWAC site and knowing what to look for?
Pretty much, yes. You can also get some good user-posted information, especially on TAY. The bottom line is if you check the snow where you are, you're going to usually get the information you need. NWAC is convenient because it gives you information before you leave your house, and also does provide a more global perspective that you can't get from snowpits on a single slope. You've got to know what to look for though, even when NWAC says low hazard.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat