Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > State's wolf population nearly doubled last year, according
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sean T

Sean T
PostSun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 am 
Quote:
like Beagles
Yes...I wish i was allowed one...smile.gif Its a cool story from the "all wolves kill dogs given the chance" propaganda i constantly hear..

"he is one of those wolf lovers and hides in the shadows". 32 Predators
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sean T

Sean T
PostWed Nov 13, 2013 3:19 pm 
Cattle ranchers track wolves with GPS, computers http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/nov/10/cattle-ranchers-track-wolves-with-gps-computers/

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Nov 21, 2013 3:56 pm 
Here is a fun map of state wolf sightings from WSFW. Click on a sighting and scroll the pop-up. I only read the one at the top of Crab Creek (Grant County) and it sounds real to me. http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/reporting/sightings.html

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
contour5

contour5
PostThu Nov 21, 2013 4:23 pm 
That's an astonishing map, Snowbrushy! Most of the sightings appear to be unconfirmed, but they could be genuine. I'm pretty sure I saw one cross the road near Lake Wenatchee last summer...

Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostThu Nov 21, 2013 6:50 pm 
Genuine? A wolf in Medina? Really?

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Sean T

Sean T
PostFri Nov 22, 2013 12:31 pm 
Quote:
sightings appear to be unconfirmed
Most are hard to confirm..It would take hundreds of man hours to explore each one..Without a depredation or picture most just go no farther then the report.. Still kinda of cool thou..

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Nov 22, 2013 1:06 pm 
Wow that map makes it look like they are all over the state.. Would be more interesting if they took a picture at the location if they linked it to the map. Sure that would be a small portion.

gb

gb
PostFri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 pm 
That map is great news but I'll bet on some of the outliers it was a coyote. My only certain sighting was in the North Cascades in January of 1991 at 5500'. I am pretty sure I heard one howling in the AM while camping in the Teanaway last July. I also believe I saw one near Ashford last summer, but I only saw it for about 3 seconds.

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostFri Nov 22, 2013 8:55 pm 
gb wrote:
I'll bet on some of the outliers it was a coyote.
I'll bet the vast majority of them, anywhere, were coyotes . . . or dogs, or cats, or beavers, or gerbils, or anything else. People have wolf fever right now, whether they hate them or love them. And eye witness reports are the least reliable kind of evidence there is. I wouldn't believe them without corroborating evidence. Some of them are accurate, I'm sure, but skepticism is warranted.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Nov 24, 2013 12:28 pm 
MCL wrote:
skepticism is warranted
looking at the distance between reported sightings near the coast and the nearest to those inland, I'm inclined to believe not many are able to distinguish coyote from wolf.
citizen reporting sighting wrote:
Wolf was tracking a dear and sniffing to get direction. Grey with a bit of black markings. Wolf appeared to be 150-200 pounds.
that'd be one big-ass wolf... and about twice the weight of the average adult male.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Dec 05, 2013 12:34 pm 
Ski wrote:
that'd be one big-ass wolf...
Check out the size of this wolves head in the article below about dog and wolf similarities: http://www.nbcnews.com/science/wolves-can-also-be-mans-best-friend-scientists-say-2D11690658

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Dec 07, 2013 3:57 am 
"If you take wolves and socialize them properly at a young age, and work with them on a daily basis, then yes, you can get them to be cooperative and attentive to humans," said Friederike Range, a researcher at the Messerli Research Institute at the University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna. Yea, and then you let one of these wolves/wolf hybrids alone with a small child who pulls it's tail and gets mauled or your neighbor's Pekinese shows up and gets eaten, then we're all back to the same fear, paranoia, and hype about how dangerous wolves are. Studies like this are no win for human or animal. Keep the freaking wild animals wild. Tom

Sean T

Sean T
PostSat Dec 07, 2013 10:36 am 
Quote:
Keep the freaking wild animals wild.
YES!

Sean T

Sean T
PostThu Jan 02, 2014 3:24 pm 
https://www.popvox.com/orgs/nywolf/_action/8053

Sean T

Sean T
PostTue Feb 25, 2014 10:44 am 
$7,500 offered in Stevens County wolf poaching case ENDANGERED SPECIES — A reward of up to $7,500 is being offered for help solving the case of a gray wolf found on Feb. 9 shot to death in northern Stevens County. Wolves are protected in Washington by state endangered species laws. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife veterinarian confirmed this week that the wolf died from gunshot wounds, Dan Rahn, regional enforcement supervisor said today. Western Washington-based Conservation Northwest put up the reward for information leading to the conviction of the poacher, he said. The conservation group has helped promote range riders to protect livestock from wolves in northeastern Washington, where most of the state’s growing wolf population is found. The reward is set to be officially announced later this afternoon. WDFW officials queried could not remember a reward of that size ever being offered for an Eastern Washington wildlife poaching case. The female wolf had been monitored by state biologists since February 2013, when it was caught and fitted with a GPS collar. It was a member of the Smackout Pack that ranges in Stevens and Pend Oreille counties, but appeared to have been traveling alone since the pack broke up in April, said Donny Martorello, department carnivore manager. The collar on this female wolf and two male wolves also were designed to trigger the wolf-scaring sounds and lights of Radio-Activated Guard boxes stationed near livestock grazing areas in the program supported by Conservation Northwest, said the group’s spokeswoman Jasmine Minbashian. Roughly 100 wolves roam portions of Eastern Washington. Tips on the case can be reported to: The department’s Spokane office, (509) 892-1001. The state’s poaching tip line, (877) 933-9847. The agency website.