Forum Index > Trip Reports > 'Not So Sasse' Peak - 2.20.2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 pm 
At 5568 feet, 'Not So Sasse' Peak is unranked on the Back Court 100 list... located a half-mile west of and 162 feet lower than the treed summit of its big brother, Sasse Mountain. We parked (2268') in a plowed area on the side of the Salmon La Sac Road... just north of the Cle Elum River Campground... crossed the road... where we quickly found an unmarked trail that led us over to a crossing (~2640') of Howson Creek after hiking a half mile. The terrain steepened significantly after crossing the creek... wasting no time as we gained 2400 feet of elevation in less than 2 miles... reaching a ridge (~5000') that parallels Sasse Ridge... leaving a .75 mile hike along the narrow ridge... as we crossed over Point 5335 and on to the the 'Not So Sasse' summit. We used our snowshoes from the Howson Creek crossing to the summit... and kept them on as we traced our steps back to ~4500 feet... where I led our group astray (easily making my list of top 10 route finding errors) by suggesting that we avoid the steepest part of the trip by staying in more open terrain and venturing a bit more to the north. But ugh!!... the 400 foot cliff band that we found at 4000 feet had us scrambling around to try and find the best way down. We put on our crampons/microspikes and found a ramp and gully system that got us off of the cliffy section. Deciding that we had had enough excitement for the day, we worked our way back over to the route we used on the way up and used it to get back to the car. To quote Snowdog... "Did we really have time to take the shortcut?" A little less than 6 miles roundtrip... gaining 3288 feet of elevation. Sunshine in the morning turned to clouds by the time we were half way to our destination... with very light snow falling by the end of the trip. A strong group of hikers could make a loop out of this trip by including Sasse Mountain, Howson Peak and Point 5159. GPS track and photos of our trip to 'Not So Sasse' Peak. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 pm 
Yay for getting out! up.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
A strong group of hikers could make a loop out of this trip by including Sasse Mountain, Howson Peak and Point 5159.
So, I assume your group is not in this category??? lol.gif moon.gif Obviously they don't have better sense than to follow directions coming from someone from Tennessee! tongue.gif rolleyes.gif (Elle actually has been there before . . . Sasse Ridge 2010)

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Feb 22, 2013 1:36 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
where I led our group astray (easily making my list of top 10 route finding errors)
...but like Rodman said: This turned a ho-hum hike into something a bit more epic hockeygrin.gif Great workout and fun day depite the luck of sun or not completing the loop up.gif
leaving the woods
leaving the woods
Izzy being sweet and sassy
Izzy being sweet and sassy
getting to a flat spot
getting to a flat spot
mostly up
mostly up
cornice ridge walk to the summit
cornice ridge walk to the summit
where the heck are we?
where the heck are we?
sort'o sassy on Not so Sasse
sort'o sassy on Not so Sasse
leaving
leaving
dropping off the ridge w/Cle Elum Lake
dropping off the ridge w/Cle Elum Lake
short but fun glissade
short but fun glissade
tree sculpture
tree sculpture
crossing Howson creek
crossing Howson creek

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Feb 22, 2013 2:35 pm 
'Not so Shabby'
ragman and rodman wrote:
To quote Snowdog... "Did we really have time to take the shortcut?"
------classic line!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Feb 22, 2013 3:42 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
ragman and rodman wrote:
A strong group of hikers could make a loop out of this trip by including Sasse Mountain, Howson Peak and Point 5159.
So, I assume your group is not in this category??? lol.gif moon.gif Obviously they don't have better sense than to follow directions coming from someone from Tennessee! tongue.gif rolleyes.gif
Truth be told... we drove over the pass with the idea of doing Point 5159 and Howson Peak... however, we got sucked to the north side of Howson Creek by what looked like slightly easier terrain. Then the possibility of making a loop trip of Sasse, Howson and Point 5159 kept us on the north side of the creek. At the time we didn't even know that our eventual high point had a name. I can't speak for the other members in my group, but when I reached the summit of 'Not So Sasse' I knew it would take a much stronger hiker than me to do that loop... and a little research shows that just two weeks earlier, nwhiker Jeb came as close as a person can come and not quite finish the loop I referred to... here is a link to his report... The Sasse/Howson Loop. And yes, no one should ever follow a boy raised in the Appalachia!! ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 5:31 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
leaving a .75 mile hike along the narrow ridge... as we crossed over Point 5335 and on to the the 'Not So Sasse' summit.
The first time I visited Not-So-Sasse I lost the trail and wound up picking my way along that narrow ridge crest from point 5335. It must have been challenging to do that on the snow. Here's a map that shows the current (unmaintained) trail.
View larger size in new window