Forum Index > Gear Talk > shoelace shape preference?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikr

hikr
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 12:18 am 
Hello - I was at REI today looking at some replacement laces for my hiking boots. Some shoelaces were advertised as having a round shape and some shoelaces were advertised as having an oval shape. What's your preference in shoelace shape? Do these different shapes have different advantages over each other in some areas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 8:45 am 
hikr wrote:
Hello - I was at REI today looking at some replacement laces for my hiking boots. Some shoelaces were advertised as having a round shape and some shoelaces were advertised as having an oval shape. What's your preference in shoelace shape? Do these different shapes have different advantages over each other in some areas?
Well, it *appears* to me that the oval ones might hold tighter, but I prefer the round ones (just because), and just "double or triple loop" the one side before pulling the other side through when tying in order to keep 'em as tight as I initially tied them.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
hikr

hikr
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 9:07 am 
Yeah - that's what I seem to be seeing online - the oval ones are supposed to stay tied longer. Also, I'm guessing the oval laces might not bite into your fingers as much as the round ones when you pull the laces tight to tie them. I'm going to try to find a good pair of oval laces for my hiking boots to try them out and I'll post a followup on how they compare to the factory round laces on my asolos....

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 pm 
Using round paracord is an option and in addition it might save your life. http://www.survivalcommonsense.com/survival-footwear-how-to-make-paracord-bootlaces-videofeed/

Dante

Dante
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 12:28 pm 
The Innov8 shoes I wear to the gym have oval laces and they never come untied, I like them a lot. I generally use 550 cord/parachute cord in my boots. I don't have any trouble with it staying tied, but I make sure the knot is tight. That said, it doesn't work as well for my son. I don't think he makes the knot as tight.

hikr

hikr
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 12:47 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
Using round paracord is an option and in addition it might save your life. http://www.survivalcommonsense.com/survival-footwear-how-to-make-paracord-bootlaces-videofeed/
@Mike - thanks for that tip! Sounds like hiker street cred smile.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 2:54 pm 
The Obenaufs Industrial strength boot laces are doing an awesome job for me, and they don't do funky things from soaking up water.

friluftsliv
hikr

hikr
PostSun Feb 24, 2013 7:32 pm 
The obenauf laces are waxed. When I've used waxed laces in the past they've cut into my fingers when I try to pull the laces tight. I'd rather go with a lace that's less abrasive to my fingers....

hikr

hikr
PostMon Feb 25, 2013 12:40 am 
I'd like to get some paracord boot laces but I need them with aglets (plastic tips) so I can easily thread the laces through the eyelets on my boots and so the ends of the laces don't get frayed. I've seen DIY urls on the web but I'd rather not mess with it. Do you know of any shops in greater Seattle that sell paracord who would willing to bind aglets to the ends of paracord for a fee?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Feb 25, 2013 9:20 am 
To prevent your laces from becoming untied it is best to use a secure knot. The standard Bowknot is just a Square (or Granny) Knot without the ends pulled all the way through. But Square Knots have a fundamental flaw. If you flex the secure ends (in this case the lines on the shoe side) the knot loosens. To prevent the knot from coming loose there are better methods for tying your shoe. I use this one, but that site lists many options. It is a bit awkward to tie, at first, but I've started always tying my shoes with that knot and it has become second nature.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
I use this one, but that site lists many options.
Quote from site: "Ian's Shoelace Site - Bringing you the fun, fashion & science of shoelaces" Although some might conclude Ian has too much spare time, this is an example of what I really like about the Web (although there seems to be less and less of this), which is -- whatever your interest is, you can probably find someone who's created a web site for it!

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm 
I guess I've always just used what came with the shoes/boots without issue. When I did break some, I just went to REI and bought their cheap off the rack laces and they seemed fine...

hikr

hikr
PostMon Feb 25, 2013 7:16 pm 
@tiger - my problem is that my asolos come with 72" laces that REI doesn't seem to carry....

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
I use this one, but that site lists many options. It is a bit awkward to tie, at first, but I've started always tying my shoes with that knot and it has become second nature.
Dang.... at the age of 60, I am going to have to learn how to tie my shoes again. Cool site. Thanks. I think...... dizzy.gif

friluftsliv
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 am 
I have always had the best luck with flat laces. They don't untie on their own if you snug the knot up and seem to spread the pressure out a little. If you have a boot with specialized hardwear you may not have a choice though...most "frictionless" hardwear uses round laces.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.