Forum Index > Trip Reports > No Grapes on Grapevine Mtn., 03.02.13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Mar 04, 2013 9:45 pm 
Last Sat. I took my group to Grapevine Mtn. in Anza-Borrego for a mix of on- & off-trail hiking in desert country. Everything I'd read about this pk. had warned of an abundance of cholla, so we came prepared. winksmile.gif This pk. is included in @ least a couple of major hiking guides, but they all describe what seem to be a longer, more tedious route than necessary. Instead of coming up/going down washes on the mtn.'s east & north sides, I studied maps & decided that we could take the PCT on the mtn.'s west side until we reach a major drainage, then head up a pretty direct route all the way to the summit. up.gif After a delayed start b/c Yours Truly forgot the hiking boots, doh.gif banghead.gif irked.gif doh.gif , we arrived @ the unofficial trailhead @ Scissors Xing about 9:30. The hike started w/5 of us:
4 SSMFs are ready to go!
4 SSMFs are ready to go!
We had to go XC to reach the PCT, which was only a matter of minutes. It was a warm day already, & I was quickly shedding the layers. redface.gif
Granite Mtn. as seen from near the TH
Granite Mtn. as seen from near the TH
Cacti
Cacti
Deep canyons
Deep canyons
This part is easy
This part is easy
Barrel cacti
Barrel cacti
The PCT had a generous amount of switchbacks & in some places seemed to be a bit of an overkill. confused.gif But, it was still a quick walk & the trail was well maintained. Before too long, the mother-son team in our group had to turn back due to post-root canal pain. frown.gif So, it was once again back to the usual 3 SSMFs. MM & I frequently compared my map w/his GPS in order to pick the correct wash to leave the trail. It was fairly easy to spot as it was the 1st big bend the trail makes to the east as it crosses this larger drainage.
Leaving the PCT & heading up a wash toward the pk.
Leaving the PCT & heading up a wash toward the pk.
There were a couple of dry waterfalls to climb up, but they were a cinch. We kept our eyes peeled for rattlesnakes since past experience reminded me that this was the right place & temperature to find them. paranoid.gif
Daniel climbs a dry waterfall
Daniel climbs a dry waterfall
The 1st part of the wash was pretty easy, then got a little steeper but still was no big deal. Here & there we might have seen what were supposed to be ducks, but nothing for sure.
Looking up the steeper part of the wash
Looking up the steeper part of the wash
MM takes in the view
2 labels
MM takes in the view
We climbed up out of the steep part, & onto mellower terrain. It was apparent that fires had ripped through this area as we saw lots of burnt vegetation. Here is where we got our 1st view of the summit. smile.gif
The summit of Grapevine comes into view
The summit of Grapevine comes into view
We crossed a saddle where we could see down the mtn.'s NW side, & the top wasn't far now.
Almost there!
Almost there!
A few more minutes & we were on top! There were panoramic views as expected. cool.gif biggrin.gif
Survey marker
Survey marker
Summit register
Summit register
View east
View east
Granite Mtn. to the south
Granite Mtn. to the south
Daniel & MM resting on the summit of Grapevine Mtn.
Daniel & MM resting on the summit of Grapevine Mtn.
View north from the summit
View north from the summit
View NW
View NW
Sombrero, Red Top, Pt. 4,684'
4 labels
Sombrero, Red Top, Pt. 4,684'
Wilson Pk.
Wilson Pk.
Volcan Mtn.
Volcan Mtn.
San Ysidro Mtns. to the north
San Ysidro Mtns. to the north
Sunset Mtn. w/Pt. 2,860' in front
3 labels
Sunset Mtn. w/Pt. 2,860' in front
Whale Pk. w/Sentenac in front
4 labels
Whale Pk. w/Sentenac in front
The PCT
The PCT
Salton Sea
1 label
Salton Sea
View north along the ridge from the summit
View north along the ridge from the summit
Daniel, BC, & MM atop Grapevine Mtn.
Daniel, BC, & MM atop Grapevine Mtn.
Burnt
Burnt
We relaxed on the summit for well over an hr., then figured we'd better head down in order to beat the darkness. hink.gif
Small barrel cactus w/long spines
Small barrel cactus w/long spines
Long spines
Long spines
Heading back down the ridge
Heading back down the ridge
Heart
Heart
Heading back down the wash
Heading back down the wash
Back on the PCT
Back on the PCT
Back in Ramona we stopped @ a Mexican restaurant we'd been to a few Xs before that was good except for the fact that they don't have margaritas. irked.gif They usually weren't very busy, either. However, this time it was totally packed & service was slow, likely due to a huge group in cowboy hats next to us that lingered on & on, & just when we thought they'd paid their bills, someone would order another beer or dessert, etc. eek.gif
Dinner place
Dinner place
MM & Daniel @ El Michoacan
MM & Daniel @ El Michoacan
At least we'd had Grapevine to ourselves. hockeygrin.gif up.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Mar 05, 2013 11:51 pm 
Surprised you were so unprepared, you should be so ashamed to have posted here as such...where's all your winter gear? It'sso obviously early March!

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Mar 07, 2013 6:29 pm 
I guess I'm still just a newb.... smackbum.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.