Forum Index > Photography Talk > Mid Range Zoom Lens That Goes Wider Than 24mm (Full Frame Equivalent)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 8:53 am 
Does anyone know of a mid range zoom lens that goes wider than 24mm (full frame equivalent)? I'd be interested in any make, any sensor size, interchangeable lens camera system. For full frame cameras it seems the mid range zooms are typically 24-70 or 24-105, even 28-75... But I'd really love something like 20-70. Does anything like that exist? I haven't had any luck with my research so far. Obviously there are a lot of crop sensor mid range zooms like 18-105 but in full frame equivalent, that's 27-157 and not wide enough. Let me know if you know of such a lens!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 5:33 pm 
I don't think you're going to have much luck finding such a lens. The reason they all stop at 24mm (or 18mm for APS-C) is largely due to the constraints of the design of the optics. Image quality will get too degraded with all the necessary glass elements needed to correct for a wider field of view. Closest thing I can find is an older Tamron APS-C 16-300mm, but this was from back when Tamron kind of sucked so I suspect it performs pretty poorly, plus I'm sure it's long out of production and probably harder to find. Your best bet will be to find a nice light weight two lens solution.

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

awilsondc
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 9:04 pm 
Thanks Hesman, that's just the kind of thing I was looking for! ...although I'm not sure it's worth switching to the Panasonic system for this particular lens.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostFri Aug 26, 2022 6:14 pm 
Well, there’s really two sets of photo gear to consider: the set you want to carry there, and the set you want to have once you get there. They are sort of mutually exclusive. Being of the latter mindset and a Nikon shooter as well allow me to recommend without reservation the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 on the wide end. Absolute dream of a lens if you need the wide. I’ve had mine about ten years, and if I take a second zoom (besides the 24-70) it’s the one. I have never once regretted having carried it there once I got it there. Now older and feebler I sometimes carry a 20mm f1.8 instead. I used that focal length heavily in the film body days and usually found it to be wide enough. It’s a great, small and light lens but you didn’t ask about primes

awilsondc
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Aug 26, 2022 8:44 pm 
Turns out Tamron just announced a new 20-40mm f/2.8 for Sony E mount as well.

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

awilsondc
Stetson

Stetson
PostSat Aug 27, 2022 9:55 am 
Olympus has a 8-25 f/4 (16-50 full frame equivalent) for m4/3.

awilsondc
mike

mike
PostSun Aug 28, 2022 12:57 pm 
Or the µ4/3 9-18 (18-36mm equiv.) Tiny and much cheaper. I carry it with my 12-100 or 14-150. I also have a Laowa 7.5mm f/2 which is about the same tiny size. Wider but single FL, manual focus. Not a problem, at that focal length most everything is in focus anyway. Great for stars. Anyone want a 12-200? Or a Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5?

awilsondc
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Aug 31, 2022 8:34 pm 
If your going to be backbacking with it. Consider just one normal range zoom and a single fast wide prime lens. The prime would cover both wide landscapes, lower light, and starshots. Often there are “pancake” primes that are fast wide and very light weight.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 31, 2022 10:37 pm 
Thanks for all the responses! There are more options than I thought... It doesn't look like the full frame options make sense for me, but that Olympus 8-25 f/4 looks appealing, but still a bit spendy to get set up with that lens and one of their bodies. Probably around 2k, but it might be worth it. I guess the main reason in looking for such a lens is in trying to save weight. To be able to just bring one lens that will have both wide angle and mid range zoom capability is super appealing since I wouldn't have to bring a second lens and I wouldn't have to mess with changing lenses.
InFlight wrote:
If your going to be backbacking with it. Consider just one normal range zoom and a single fast wide prime lens. The prime would cover both wide landscapes, lower light, and starshots. Often there are “pancake” primes that are fast wide and very light weight.
Yes! I do have such a system now, and it's worked pretty well. I shoot Sony with the a7riii and usually have my 24-105 on the vast majority of the time. But, it's just not quite wide enough if I want to get serious about taking some photos around dawn or dusk. I've got the 16-35 f/2.8 which is my best lens, and worth bringing along if I know I'm really going to spend a lot of time using it. But, if I'm not sure I'll really spend a lot of time dedicated to photography I've got a Samyang 18 f/2.8 prime that only weighs 5.1 oz vs 24 oz for the 16-35 f/2.8 that I can bring along, saving well over a pound of weight. It really worked out well on my Snowfield Group trip in July. Although, if I'm honest I kind of wish I had brought my 16-35 on that trip. I just love the versatility of the zoom, and the extra 2mm would have come in handy for a couple shots. So in terms of weight my Sony a7riii + 24-105 = 46 oz, add in wide angle that's 51 oz or 70 oz depending on lens. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III + 8-25 f/4 would weigh around 29 oz. That would be a good chunk of change to save a pound, pound and a half. Might be worth it though.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 7:32 am 
The Fuji XT-4 Body is 21.41 oz, great reputation for weather sealing. Has a lots of lens options still in production. Olympus Lens are out of production. Would need to find new old stock, or used lens. Panasonic is still producing 4/3 lens.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau

awilsondc
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 7:46 am 
A number of your images from the Neve Glacier are absolutely magnificent and showcase that you know how to take advantage of the wide.

awilsondc
Kenji

Kenji
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 5:49 pm 
Finally just what you asked for: sony 20-70mm F4 G

awilsondc
gb

gb
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 11:16 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Olympus Lens are out of production. Would need to find new old stock, or used lens. Panasonic is still producing 4/3 lens.
That is totally misinformed. You can still purchase "Olympus" lenses. but the company - camera/binocular part of Olympus - is now under the name OMD Systems. The 12-45, 40-150, and 8-25 are all new F4 releases. I have had the 12-45 for the past year; it is excellent. All of these lenses are very sharp and very compact - the 12-45 is 254g. The newest bodies are the OM-1 and a new release this fall the OM-5. The latter is basically very similar to the EM-5 III. The OM-1 is a new sports/birding body with super good and quick autofocus and is bringing many new users into the system. I still have the EM-1 II's - great for hiking, and the EM-1X, the larger body designed for birding. The OM-1 is better, and at this time supersedes the EM-1X in these uses; especially superb AI. I hike with the 12-40 or 12-45, sometimes the Panny 35-100 (also excellent) or the 50-200 (superbly sharp) but larger, and maybe the 60 macro (super tiny), or on occasion the 8mm F1.8 FE. The latter is great for astro; it and the macro are the only lenses for which I might carry a tripod; although it is possible to HH macro Focus Stacks. I did that about one week ago with the EM-1X and 12-45.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 10:39 am 
Kenji wrote:
Finally just what you asked for: sony 20-70mm F4 G
I saw that! That is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. So stoked for this one to come out!