Forum Index > Trip Reports > Squak Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
themountaingoat
The Mountain Goat

themountaingoat
The Mountain Goat
PostFri Mar 22, 2013 9:01 pm 
Short on time today so I decided on a short route on Squak today. Arrived at May Valley TH at around 9:45 am. and started my ascend towards to the summit via the service road. The first mile was snow free and then the trees begun to change it's green colors to white. At about 1.8 miles the service was completely covered in snow and to my surprise I was the first set of foot steps. Upon arriving at Summit Trail junction I noticed footsteps descending from the towers and descending down Summit Trail. I continued towards the Summit and again noticed the footsteps ascending Central Peak Trail. I ate an energy gel and begun my descend Central Peak and then jumping on Old Griz Trail. This is a really fun trail when not covered in snow and even funner when it's snow covered! Wohooo!!! I then took a right onto Phil's Creek trail and eventually caught up with the footsteps that descended Summit Trail from earlier. I then took left onto the "closed" section of May Valley and continued my descend. This section of the mountain is 100% snow free and as green as ever. A few minor blowdowns but I was able to clear them off the trail. Crossed the service road and back onto MayValley trail and hit the final .5 miles back to the parking lot.
Phil's Creek Trail
Phil's Creek Trail

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message