Forum Index > Trip Reports > Epic Eagle Cap trip, rare Cornice Elk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 1:46 pm 
We fought all the elements: lightning, bugs, relentless sun, and reports of snow on the trail. The trip started when I picked up Forest Gnome (Glen) in Everett at 4 am on Saturday. The Dawn Patrol then headed over to Mike220's house, where we ditched my sorry excuse for a car, and piled into Mike's sweet ride, a four-door Toyota Tacoma with matching canopy. biggrin.gif We met up with ADAHY (Kevin) at a park 'n ride, and we were off. Mike is an excellent driver, he makes time without hurrying, and the rest of relaxed in our chauffeured drive to the trail head. cool.gif We hit Joseph, Oregon, just in time for their annual rodeo or something, but we were on a mission, so we didn’t figure out what was going on. The drive to the trailhead, called Tenderfoot, was easy, mostly on pavement, with three miles of rocky but otherwise OK dirt road at the end. MtnGoat 2674 (Leena) was running late, so we headed up at about 4 pm, knowing she would be behind us sooner or later. She was. smile.gif The hike starts with a crossing of the raging Big Sheep Creek on a log, one of many stream crossings on relatively convenient logs (not log bridges, just logs). The trail goes through a burn area, very open, lots of flowers and grasses, then enters woods, crosses some more streams, and gets into some sweet meadow country.
Eagle Cap 006
Eagle Cap 006
Eagle Cap 007
Eagle Cap 007
Eagle Cap 014
Eagle Cap 014
Eagle Cap 017
Eagle Cap 017
Then we saw the rarest of large mammals, the Cornice Elk.
Can you spot the cornice elk?
Can you spot the cornice elk?
The rare "cornice elk"
The rare "cornice elk"
It was a grind up to Bonny lakes, for me anyway, due to the late start, the heat, the sun, and the stiff legs from the endless drive. But it is very much worth it, as Bonny lakes are awesome, 7,800 feet high, surrounded by peaks and meadows, crawling with deer and elk.
Eagle Cap 032
Eagle Cap 032
"Two buck" meadow
"Two buck" meadow
Eagle Cap 056
Eagle Cap 056
Bonny lakes
Bonny lakes
Eagle Cap 064
Eagle Cap 064
More Bonny lakes
More Bonny lakes
Eagle Cap 080
Eagle Cap 080
Eagle Cap 082
Eagle Cap 082
Eagle Cap 096
Eagle Cap 096
Eagle Cap 105
Eagle Cap 105
Eagle Cap 100
Eagle Cap 100
Sunday we packed up and hiked up to Dollar lake, a true gem of the high country. Absolutely fantastic, the hike and the destination.
Eagle Cap 116
Eagle Cap 116
Eagle Cap 125
Eagle Cap 125
Gnome
Gnome
More Gnome
More Gnome
Tiny Gnome
Tiny Gnome
Eagle Cap 136
Eagle Cap 136
And another thing.....lol
And another thing.....lol
Eagle Cap 143
Eagle Cap 143
Eagle Cap 152
Eagle Cap 152
Eagle Cap 153
Eagle Cap 153
Eagle Cap 155
Eagle Cap 155
Eagle Cap 158
Eagle Cap 158
Eagle Cap 164
Eagle Cap 164
Eagle Cap 166
Eagle Cap 166
Eagle Cap 193
Eagle Cap 193
Campsite at Dollar
Campsite at Dollar
Eagle Cap 200
Eagle Cap 200
Eagle Cap 203
Eagle Cap 203
Eagle Cap 205
Eagle Cap 205
Eagle Cap 206
Eagle Cap 206
Dollar lake and Aneroid peak
Dollar lake and Aneroid peak
Eagle Cap 216
Eagle Cap 216
Kevin, Mike and Leena decided to hike up to a high point, and that's the last Glen and I saw of them for hours. They were gone so long, we expected to see either them returning, or a rescue helicopter. embarassedlaugh.gif They will have to chime in and relate their adventures and misadventures. Glen and I were suffering a bit from the sun, which was so close you feel his hot breath curdling our blood, so we ditched the name Dawn Patrol and adopted the Icarus Hikers, we hiked too close to the sun, and melted. embarassedlaugh.gif But we explored the area around the lake, and took in the awesome views. God's country, yes siree. agree.gif
Yes, we see you
Yes, we see you
Eagle Cap 231
Eagle Cap 231
Eagle Cap 232
Eagle Cap 232
The rock wall that saved my life
The rock wall that saved my life
Scenic tent spot
Scenic tent spot
Eagle Cap 253
Eagle Cap 253
Sunset over Pete's point
Sunset over Pete's point
Dollar lake and Pete's point
Dollar lake and Pete's point
Cool tree
Cool tree
Towards Tenderfoot pass
Towards Tenderfoot pass
Eagle Cap 361
Eagle Cap 361
Eagle Cap 368
Eagle Cap 368
Finally the Lost Patrol made it back, and we all enjoyed the sunset. Then the real show began: lightning. We saw it coming, at least 15 minutes in advance, but none of us were smart enough to re-secure our tents, etc. doh.gif So when it hit, it hit hard, the worst I've ever been in, and my tent was held down by just one tent stake at either end. doh.gif Luckily I had spent a couple of hours building a rock wall around my exposed site, just to keep out dust from the wind. Everyone in tents spent the next hour or so gripping our rain flies with all our strength. Kevin, in a hammock, got a real old-fashioned Nantucket Sleigh Ride, sort of like being tossed up into the air and caught in a blanket at a beach party. Except more deadly. In the end we all came through OK. Oh, did I mention the torrential downpour? There was a torrential downpour. Or you could say a "sidepour", as it hit us at about 60 mph. Monday we decided to head back down to Bonny lakes and try some fishing, and avoid another fiasco of lightning, etc. Good thing, too, as that night the Dollar lake area was blasted again, while we just got the ragged edge down at Bonny. But before we left, Kevin motored up and down Aneroid in what must be record time. But no one knows for sure, because we never knew what time it was the whole trip. Everyone blames me for that, but I blame Verizon. embarassedlaugh.gif Anyway, Monday was a nice easy day, and when the storm blew through that night, we felt pretty smart for leaving Dollar lake.
Lnt fail!
Lnt fail!
Eagle Cap 426
Eagle Cap 426
Eagle Cap 438
Eagle Cap 438
Eagle Cap 467
Eagle Cap 467
Eagle Cap 476
Eagle Cap 476
Sunset and storm
Sunset and storm
Eagle Cap 530
Eagle Cap 530
I messed up some of those last pictures, uploaded the wrong ones, I will re-post one of the cool shots of the rain getting closer and closer. We never got any fish dinner, but we feasted anyway, especially on Kevin's bacon. Kevin's bacon, hey that's funny. wink.gif Sunday night and Monday night we enjoyed frozen cocoanut margaritas, made from snow, Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay 90 proof Cocoanut rum and some water, a tasty and potent concoction. agree.gif Tuesday we got up 7 am or 6 am, left at 10 am or 9 am, and got back to the car at 12 or 11. It turned out to be 11, as we eventually figured out that my timekeeping was like an internet virus: I kept spreading my error to other people and devices. I had Mike reprogramming his GPS and resetting his camera's time, but eventually we figured out that everyone else in the world was right, and it was me who was wrong. I had visions of every clock in the world eventually being polluted by my stupid cell phone's clock. embarassedlaugh.gif
Paintbrush
Paintbrush
Easy-peasy log crossing
Easy-peasy log crossing
We stopped at the Terminal Gravity brewpub in Enterprise, a highlight of the trip. Awesome burgers, a shaded, breezy porch to eat them on, and beer brewed a few feet from where it was consumed. I was the only one who had a beer, but it was quite excellent. "Beer miles" is a very important concept. Moving beer more than a hundred yards bruises the brew, IMO. hmmm.gif Then Mike drove us all the way back home, he is my new personal hero. biggrin.gif We rocked out to some good music, my favorite being the 19 Johnny Cash songs. The weirdest one was about him working at a car factory, and stealing a car one part at a time, but then ending up with a mish-mash car with three headlights and one tail fin. confused.gif Lots more stuff happened, and when things of note occurred, we would say "That's going in the trip report". I left many things out so that the others can chime in with various funny stories. All in all it was a great trip, though I was spent for the first two days, and our early departure from Dollar lake made a Monday day hike not a reality for me. No problem, as the area is worthy of another trip someday to visit what I missed. The area, and the company both exceeded my expectations for awesomeness. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 pm 
Great photos, LOVE the cornice elk.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 2:12 pm 
It was an optical illusion, they were on dry ground a bit back from the cornice. The first picture shows how far away they were, the second was with 18X zoom. But when we yelled, they looked. Sharp-eared, the cornice elk. agree.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 2:47 pm 
1- eek.gif slobber.gif 2- That's two trip reports in a row now, with stunning photos. Great job. up.gif 3- Fantastic report

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
ree

ree
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 2:48 pm 
What happened to BPJ? I thought he was going too. Looks yummy! Nicely melted out and ultra-fabulous!!! yeah, the cornice elk shot is great. They were watching y'all.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 2:54 pm 
The elk ate BPJ. I may have left that out due to the trauma of it all. embarassedlaugh.gif No, BPJ got called away to work for a couple of days, one of them being the first day of the trip, so he couldn't make it. Too bad, as he missed a great trip and we missed his great company. But everyone's gotta eat and pay the bills. Gali: thanks. The new camera makes it easy. Even the close-up of the elk was a hand-held snapshot.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:08 pm 
Nice TR, Sluggo... Love the cornice elk pic. up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:08 pm 
Stunning pictures. Yet another nearby area that needs to be explored. Sigh. Too many trail miles, not enough time.
Quote:
We hit Joseph, Oregon, just in time for their annual rodeo or something, and we were so completely ignored at a restaurant there we walked out in disgust. Employees doing nothing, while people can't even get a menu. I've never experienced anything like it before.
You'll really love Boston then. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:10 pm 
Good stuff, Slug up.gif

Todd Ler

Todd Ler
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:27 pm 
great tr and pics! I like this pic. Mike lecturing the Gnome, lol.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:28 pm 
I made a video, so of course all my picture numbers are off by one after that, so here are the pictures I messed up and didn't upload.
Rain on its way
Rain on its way
Are you looking at me? 'Cause I don't see anyone else, so you must be....
Are you looking at me? 'Cause I don't see anyone else, so you must be....
Eagle Cap 544
Eagle Cap 544
PS: video is uploading to youtube right now. I made it, might as well show it. hmmm.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:49 pm 

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:52 pm 
NICEEEE.....what a nice introduction (oh my gid I speld that rite!!) to the eagle caps...great back-door route to dollar and even though we didn't go way down to aneroid, there is mucho ridge-running to do... Mike220 liked the ridge running sooo much he decided to go up and down the faces of them several times! What an animal.... up.gif so there is also the hike over to jewitt lake (next time) and ya can then loop out over another pass to the car.... not a bad 8hr. drive....there is the great town of joseph with the bronze foundry tour, a gondolie up aneroid peak, and of course stunning lake below the dolie...oh walowa (sp.) lake ..ya might wanna look that up!.... oh in the video ya can see how short I am!!....and ya see the pass just like 2hrs. in the middle ....8,200ft. camp at dollar lake!!!

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:52 pm 
This is quite the discovery up.gif Finding blue skies, snow free lakes and lovely alpine landscapes all in a year without a summer. I suspect these splendid photos and your enthusiastic words will inspire many more forays into this overlooked corner of Eagle Cap wilderness.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 4:24 pm 
Slugman wrote:
my favorite being the 19 Johnny Cash songs. The weirdest one was about him working at a car factory, and stealing a car one part at a time, but then ending up with a mish-mash car with three headlights and one tail fin. :confused
and a 30 pound title. embarassedlaugh.gif One Piece at a Time. Among the best country songs ever written, about the "Psycho-Billy Caddy." up.gif "What model is it?" "Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56 '57, '58' 59' automobile...." And so on.....

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting