Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > speed trap thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikr

hikr
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 1:36 am 
Hello - If you know of any speed traps on the way to hiking areas in WA then please post them to this thread. I was driving back from ONP 2 weeks ago and I got a ticket in Port Angeles for doing 67 in a 55. I've read other cases on the internet of people getting similar tickets for going 11 or 12 miles over the speed limit in that area. Does the route between Kingston and ONP have a reputation for having a lot of speed traps? I may have to get deferred adjudication and avoid that area for 1 year because it's too risky to get a ticket there. What are some other driving routes on the way to hiking spots that are known for speed traps?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 am 
Yes sequim is notorious. Its one of the "traffic safety zones" which is code for aggressive speed traps. I was at the back of a pack of minivans and suvs, following at a safe distance one day. WSP comes along the other direction, u turns on the freeway and pulls me over. I had no idea id done anything wrong. He asked if i was watching my speed. I said i was and that i was at the back of a pack of minivans doing the speed they were. "No, they were doing 64, you were going 66" Uh...ok Anyway cant remember his name but it was on most of the tickets on the docket that day

Spotly

Spotly
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 am 
hikr wrote:
I've read other cases on the internet of people getting similar tickets for going 11 or 12 miles over the speed limit in that area.
The audacity of them to write a ticket for people that are speeding! I'm no angel when it comes to the letter of the law and will usually do 5 or so over on the freeway. But to seek out others to actively help me do that - strange. Next you'll want someone to hand you the cell so you can tweet about those "traps" as you barrel down the road. You should change your log-in to spedr.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 9:18 am 
Spotly. Dont be so self righteous We all know there are vast portions of the states freeways where there wouldnt be enough hours in the day to write 10-15 mph over tickets that happen all day long. And then there are spots that for whatever reason or collection of data points are heavily focused on.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 9:28 am 
Black Diamond is notorious and this pretty much includes anytime day or night. I have come to the conclusion that those signs they put up are the minimum speed limit.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Spotly

Spotly
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 am 
Hmmm. I tried to write in simple form (the only form I know, really) but I suppose "deep" is a relative concept. Anyway, if you read of my post (possibly several times required), you'll note that I claimed to speed on occassion as well and that my "self riteousness" had nothing to do with the speeding and everything to do with trying to enlist people to help in the effort. Anyway, if you read of my post (possibly several times required), you'll note that I claimed to speed on occassion as well and that my "self riteousness" had nothing to do with the speeding and everything to do with trying to enlist people to help in the effort.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 10:02 am 
Almost always cops on highway 16 from the Narrows bridge on.

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 pm 
The State Patrol and other agencies practice writing tickets on Highway 2 between the Big Y and Wenatchee. I got a warning ticket for doing 57 in a 55 zone. If the big trucks and locals are running the speed limit so do I.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 3:32 pm 
410 to Crystal has always been a Cherry Patch hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
reststep

reststep
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 6:09 pm 
True, shortly before the Crystal Mountain turnoff the speed limit goes from 55 to 50 and they catch some people there. I have not seen it but have heard that they will ticket drivers sometimes that do not come to a complete stop when exiting Crystal Mountain Blvd at 410.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Boywonder

Boywonder
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 8:24 pm 
I used to speed when I was younger, all the time. Now, I do pretty much the speed limit, in the right hand lane of course. Don't have to worry about speeding tickets. Seriously if you have to speed (like 10-20mph over) on the way to the trail, just get your tail out of bed a bit earlier. I had someone tailing me today on the way to Rainier. I was doing 55 in the 50. He finally got around me flying up to Rainier only to have me pull up behind him a whopping 5 minutes later on the way up to Paradise. embarassedlaugh.gif

Lono

Lono
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 8:41 pm 
+1 boywonder. Life is long. Enjoy the ride. I mostly go through Black Diamond at 5am, never a cop there. But its easy enough to roll through doing 30 on cruise control, sipping my coffee. I wonder where the rest of you are headed so fast.

touron

touron
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 pm 
Lono wrote:
I wonder where the rest of you are headed so fast.
To a party in a tree?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 11:31 pm 
Got busted on Hwy 99 in Seattle this morning in Fremont. They're patrolling that whole road much more lately.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 30, 2013 11:56 pm 
67 in a 55 is a speed trap? Give me a break. Why don't you try slowing down? hmmm.gif My favorite part: the change considered is not to slow down in the future, but to stop going that way. doh.gif I drove that highway today, and there were state patrol cars all over the place, and yet there was no shortage of people in a hurry to donate money to the state then whine about it afterwards. embarassedlaugh.gif Somehow they are always the victim, never the perpetrator. Some of the famous excuses are right here in this thread, like the "everyone else was doing it, therefore my ticket is unfair" claim. Sometimes life is very simple: slow down, or get a ticket. Your choice. By your choice we may judge your intelligence, accurately.