Forum Index > Trip Reports > Guemes Island Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Mar 31, 2013 5:08 pm 
We needed to get out and I've wanted to return here since working on the trail with WTA. We motored up to Anacortes and found the Skagit county ferry that services the island. A quick 10 minute ferry ride and a quick 10 minute drive to the trailhead. We wandered up through conifer forest
until the trail thins out above. The red currant is fragrant and the trail that WTA made is well graded and fun.
Near the top, I was surprized to find a picture on one of the information boards installed by the Skagit Land trust and delighted to find my picture there.
My ten minutes of fame.... hockeygrin.gif The top of the mountain is a 'bald' meaning it was scraped clean by the Puget Glacier and provides lovely views of Mt Baker, Anacortes, the San Juans, Lummi, and other vistas too numerous to mention.
The trail is a short 1.3 miles with 530 feet of gain to the 630 foot top. There were only 2 other parties there on a fabulous spring day. It is well worth the trip to Guemes to enjoy the hike. Later, we came down and cruised around to the north end of the island where there is a county park next to the Guemes Island Resort. We walked the beach there and enjoyed the tidepools and the starfish.
IMG_1385
IMG_1385
Guemes is a great place to get away that's close in. Check it out when you have time. The ferry is $10.50 round trip for car, driver and one passenger. Take your supplies as there is only one ( expensive) store/restaurant near the ferry landing. I highly recommend this place. beer and burgers were scrumptious in Anacortes after our walks.... cool.gif cool.gif Many many thanks to all the volunteers from WTA who helped on this trail. Many many many thanks to the Skagit Land Trust for saving this place from becoming private ( keep out) tracts for the wealthy. It is a great treat for us all.... agree.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSun Mar 31, 2013 6:18 pm 
Beautiful! Gotta love the low tides! Is there camping allowed?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 31, 2013 6:21 pm 
Looks like a beautiful place with lots of varied scenery. Now I can understand why my next door neighbor is always raving about the place. She has a vacation home there where she spends about three weeks every fall with her kids and grandkids. She says the only problem is that the weather and ferry can sometimes be unpredictable.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Mar 31, 2013 6:35 pm 
Glad you got out there while some people had to work!

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Mar 31, 2013 7:00 pm 
liketothroughhike....no camping allowed there. Although...there are yurts for rent at Guemes Island Resort. Not cheap though.... HIT..the ferry is scheduled and not unpredictable. The tides are predictable too. Bryan....I'm sure you'll do something fun on your days off while I have to work. It's all the same in the end. You'll have good weather for your weekend too.... agree.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 am 
lookout bob wrote:
HIT..the ferry is scheduled and not unpredictable. The tides are predictable too.
It seems I remember her canceling her trip a couple of years ago because the ferry was out of commission for some reason. Storm damage I think.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Apr 01, 2013 8:39 am 
they were renovating the dock for a period of time a couple years back....maybe that's what happened? It would make a good getaway from Wenatchee....something really different. agree.gif

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Apr 01, 2013 8:23 pm 
I highly recommend the fish and chips at the Island Cafe, in downtown Anacortes. hungry.gif