Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Golden Tunnel
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostFri Oct 10, 2014 7:01 pm 
Pictures of the lower mill site.
The upper Salmon Creek cirque wall, and the ledge above Crater Lake as seen from the mill site.
The upper Salmon Creek cirque wall, and the ledge above Crater Lake as seen from the mill site.
If these two posts don't help you, you'd best stick to walking around Green Lake.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 6:43 am 
WOHOOOO out standing pictures. How many trips did this take 2-3 up.gif Thanks for the Pics When I click on your pictures all I get is a blank box with a RED X top left ? Dambit.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 8:48 am 
Dont know about the red x. They open for me jus't fine. Three year's of searching, one trip to confirm the route above Crater Lake, and one day trip to visit the tunnel. One day trip to the mill s'ite.

contour5

contour5
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 2:51 pm 
Interesting to finally see some good pictures of the site. There really are a lot of artifacts up there! Thanks for posting.

Bazetech

Bazetech
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 4:35 pm 
After seeing all the artifacts laying around, I can understand why all the hush hush. Many people have a hard time with the take pictures and leave footprints train of thought. Thank you for the pictures too! Those are fantastic!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain
Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 6:05 pm 
YES, they are indeed fantastic. I've been to many mining sites and a number of districts, and this is indeed a very special couple of spots. Now we'll see whether the worries of NW Underground Explorations was warranted. I loved the ancient truck up the WF Miller which some a__hole took out. Now we'll see. I posted this stuff since I was thoroughly sickened about the gradual exposure of the site stemming from one very stupid, very selfish individual. Once virtual step-by-step instructions had been posted, no harm could be done by adding the images. Maybe this will prompt the USFS Archeologist in charge to actually DO something to preserve these relics.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 8:21 pm 
OK works fine at home, ? Now I need to revisit this place. This place is special for the NWUE Crew.

Stan-D-TectR

Stan-D-TectR
PostSun Oct 12, 2014 10:05 pm 
Awesome photos. Inscription from 1899? Coins from that era are worth a bundle. cool.gif I wish these pictures were posted earlier this summer. We really want to get in there now. Our club is going to schedule a couple of trips into both sites weather permitting. How soon will snow start falling up there? waah.gif Stan

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostFri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 pm 
Lookout Billerina wrote:
YES, they are indeed fantastic. I've been to many mining sites and a number of districts, and this is indeed a very special couple of spots. Now we'll see whether the worries of NW Underground Explorations was warranted. I loved the ancient truck up the WF Miller which some a__hole took out. Now we'll see. I posted this stuff since I was thoroughly sickened about the gradual exposure of the site stemming from one very stupid, very selfish individual. Once virtual step-by-step instructions had been posted, no harm could be done by adding the images. Maybe this will prompt the USFS Archeologist in charge to actually DO something to preserve these relics.
In this day and age it's pretty easy to use things like Google earth combined with downloads from the BLM to find these sites without leaving your computer, things hidden are easily found without much physical effort

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 9:57 am 
Hey snoqpass How did you over lay that map on that Google Earth picture ? That is cool.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 12:05 pm 
Jimbo wrote:
Hey snoqpass How did you over lay that map on that Google Earth picture ? That is cool.
I used a Public Land Survey System (plss) plug in which gives you the township and range grid used in the survey maps. Download and save the desired maps from the BLM site. I Start with the cadastral survey first you locate individual claims on that map then you can import individual claims and line them up on the big map, the maps are JPEG so it's easy to bring them into google earth you can adjust the transparency easily too, I sometimes use the draw tool to trace features then turn off layers. I've found the accuracy sometimes close as 50' to the actual location of some tunnels

RodF

RodF
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 4:59 pm 
Fantastic site. Imagine the effort they made! (And imagine the sight of that tram running, and the noise that ball mill must've made when breaking rock to dust.) Thanks for sharing all this, Billerina.
Lookout Billerina wrote:
Maybe this will prompt the USFS Archeologist in charge to actually DO something to preserve these relics.
What could they realistically do? Would we rather these relics be in a museum somewhere? Or the area "closed"? I hope they stay as they are...

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 5:07 pm 
Careful Rod, or you will be re-living all of the arguments that were made several years ago by members of Northwest Underground Explorations - to absolutely no avail.

Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 5:12 pm 
What realistically could he/she do? Helicopters come to mind. Have you ever seen the UNBELIEVABLE Shafer (mining) Museum in Winthrop? Much, if not most of that heavy weight stuff was brought out from the Barron District and the Azurite Mine. By the way, we have PLENTY of money to bomb brown butt in the Middle East - endlessly. Maybe increasing the USFS budget just a tad might help.

Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 5:21 pm 
"...imagine the sight of that tram running, and the noise that ball mill must've made when breaking rock to dust." That is a very perceptive comment, Rod. I have stood in a half dozen places in the upper Slate Creek area over the years, and tried to imagine exactly that. Imagine a half dozen or more stamp mills running concurrently; two or three concentrator mills running; periodic dynamite blasts going off in tunnels; heavy trucks running around; that HUGE diesel sitting up in Barron pounding away to power the mines... You get the idea. the NOISE must have been absolutely shattering, echoing off of the open valley walls. Imagine what all that noise did to the wildlife trying to co-exist in the area. Most people take the relative quiet of our "wilderness" areas for granted. A finger snap in time ago those mountains were absolutely filled with noise. Industrial strength noise.