Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kayaking and Hiking the Slot Canyons of Lake Powell
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
El Matador

El Matador
PostThu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 pm 
Hey guys, Just back off a 7 kayaking trip in the Rainbow area of Lake Powell from April 7th-13th. It was an outstanding trip that offered a nice change of scenery from the mountains, glaciers, and old growth of the PNW. I flew into Pheonix on April 6th and was picked up by 2 buddies who decided to drive from Austin. We bought some groceries and last minute supplies in Flagstaff and then drove up to Page. I initially thought that planning a lake based paddling trip would be a piece of cake, but it proved to be more challenging than I had anticipated. Due to varying lake levels, the logistics of confirming good camps was challenging. Example, there might be a great sandy camp when the lake level is at 3650ft, but at the current level of 3598, that camp might be 40 ft up a cliff face. The lake is dynamic and will give you a different experience based on water levels. DAY 1 The next morning we sorted our gear and met our boat taxi for a ride up to Reflection Canyon, which was the jumping off point of our trip. We were lucky enough to share the ride with Gary Ladd, a local landscape photographer and hiking guru for the Lake Powell area. We swapped a few stories and dropped his group off at the San Juan Arm. They were going to do a 6 day trip off trail from the San Jaun Arm up to the base of Navajo Mountain and then back down to Rainbow Canyon for pick up. I have to admit, I was a bit envious of their trip, but I knew that we had a great trip to look forward to as well. We did not have much time to explore due to the 3 hour boat ride up lake, so we familiarized ourselves with our rental kayaks and soaked in the evening sun. I was a bit nervous, as a major system was supposed to arrive by noon the following day.
Day 1: Camp in Reflection Canyon.  Dave cooking our dinner.
Day 1: Camp in Reflection Canyon. Dave cooking our dinner.
DAY 2 We woke up early and paddled into Anasazi Canyon, which was a perfect place to hole up for a day of foul weather. Late in the morning the wind picked up and it started to rain. We explored the Moepitz Canyon Narrows and then paddled under the arches of Anasazi and then finally set up camp in a great protected alcove at the back of Anasazi Canyon. We were so protected under the alcove that we didnt even have to pitch a tent, but out in the main channel of the Colorado, the wind was howling at 35mph with 50mph gusts. It rained about an inch during the day and the waterfall in the back of the alcove that started as a trickle cranked up into a torrent. It carved out an outlet channel from the edge of our beach camp. It was a little intense, but we had enough real estate on the beach to not have to worry too much about being flushed out of the canyon.
Near the mouth of Anasazi, weather for the day included 1 inch of rain and wind up to 50 mph.  We laid low in the backwaters of the canyon.
Near the mouth of Anasazi, weather for the day included 1 inch of rain and wind up to 50 mph. We laid low in the backwaters of the canyon.
Krane Kick executed to perfection
Krane Kick executed to perfection
Exploring Moepitz Canyon, tributary to Anasazi
Exploring Moepitz Canyon, tributary to Anasazi
Moepitz Canyon Narrows
Moepitz Canyon Narrows
Who's that sexy beast in a wetsuit...
Who's that sexy beast in a wetsuit...
Chance paddleing under the arches of Anasazi Canyon
Chance paddleing under the arches of Anasazi Canyon
Waterfall at camp in Anasazi
Waterfall at camp in Anasazi
Perfect alcove camp in the back of Anasazi, which came complete with a bottle of Crown Royal.  The lake level was at 3598ft for our trip
Perfect alcove camp in the back of Anasazi, which came complete with a bottle of Crown Royal. The lake level was at 3598ft for our trip
Wish I was here...
Wish I was here...
P1060041.MOV
P1060041.MOV
DAY 3 We awoke to more cloudy skies and cool weather. We paddled out of Anasazi Canyon and made out way to Oak Bay and then entered Secret Canyon, which provide some amazing hiking that was remininscent of Buckskin Gulch, though short lived. We the moved on to Twilight Canyon and then paddled into Rainbow Canyon. We were told that Rainbow had good camping opportunities, but the back of the canyon had a large boat landing for tourons who come out to see Rainbow Natural Bridge. There were no tourons present, but many signs were posted stating no camping allowed in the area.
Oak Bay mid-morning break
Oak Bay mid-morning break
Paddling into Secret Canyon, lots of debris in the water from the rain overnight.
Paddling into Secret Canyon, lots of debris in the water from the rain overnight.
Secret Canyon Narrows, while short lived, are reminiscent of Buckskin Gulch.
Secret Canyon Narrows, while short lived, are reminiscent of Buckskin Gulch.
Steven and Chance hiking through Secret Canyon
Steven and Chance hiking through Secret Canyon
Secret Canyon Narrows
Secret Canyon Narrows
Arch in Twilight Canyon
Arch in Twilight Canyon
It was getting late, so we shagged back to the fork for Forbidding Canyon and paddled to the back. The rain had turned Forbidding Canyon into a spongy, muddy, quicksand filled mess. We had to haul our kayaks about a 100 yards to high ground and then found even higer groun another 100 yars further upstream. We were pretty worn out, but gathered some driftwood to create a fire, which lifted our spirits.
Entering Rainbow/Forbidding Canyon
Entering Rainbow/Forbidding Canyon
Confluence of Rainbow and Forbidding Canyon
Confluence of Rainbow and Forbidding Canyon
DAY 4 We awoke to a bluebird day and spent a few hours exploring Forbidding Canyon. After packing up we pushed off and had a short paddle day over to a great beach camp just east of Cascade Canyon. After getting set up, we climbed up on a sandstone bench and took in an amazing sunset over Navajo Mountain, which looms large over the lake at over 10,000 ft. I brought french press and we had some stellar coffee while taking it all in.
The start of our morning hike in Forbidding
The start of our morning hike in Forbidding
Massive sandstone walls dwarf Steven near the mouth of Forbidding
Massive sandstone walls dwarf Steven near the mouth of Forbidding
Amazing color in Forbidding
Amazing color in Forbidding
Navajo mountain standing gaurd over the lake at over 10,000ft with a fresh coat of snow.
Navajo mountain standing gaurd over the lake at over 10,000ft with a fresh coat of snow.
Outstanding sunset over Navajo Mountain from our 4th night's camp near Cascade Canyon.
Outstanding sunset over Navajo Mountain from our 4th night's camp near Cascade Canyon.
DAY 5 If you had to pin me down, this day provided the most outstanding scenery of the whole trip. We paddled around the corner into Casacade Canyon and hike about 1.5 miles to the back of the narrows and then retraced our steps back to our boats. We then moved on to Driftwood Canyon, which was my personal favorite of the trip. As you walk deeper into the canyon, you get the sensation of being swallowed whole by the imense beauty deep in the bottom of the canyon. After polishing of Driftwood, we crossed the main channel of the Colorado River and paddled into the back of Cathedral Canyon. My emergency weather radio had no rain in the forecast, so we set up camp on a little sand bench in the narrows of Cascade Canyon.
Large chockstone
Large chockstone
Matt in Cascade
Matt in Cascade
The Cascade narrows go on and on.
The Cascade narrows go on and on.
Steven taking it all in
Steven taking it all in
Matt in Driftwood
Matt in Driftwood
Interesting erosion in Driftwood
Interesting erosion in Driftwood
Driftwood narrowing down
Driftwood narrowing down
From Driftwood, we paddled into Cathedral Canyon
From Driftwood, we paddled into Cathedral Canyon
Paddling in Cathedral Canyon
Paddling in Cathedral Canyon
Cathedral Canyon Narrows Camp on night 5...Hope it doesnt rain!
Cathedral Canyon Narrows Camp on night 5...Hope it doesnt rain!
Cathedral Canyon Narrows
Cathedral Canyon Narrows
DAY 6 The morning provided perfect paddling conditions and our boats cut through the glass reflections created in the early morning sun. We moved back into the main channel and paddle onward to Little Arch Canyon. We found a great elevated camp just west of Little Arch and it was a hot day, so we decided to take a swim to knock the funk off that had been gathering over the last week. We explored Little Arch Canyon and then gathered up our coffee and climbed to a high point overlooking the lake for our late afternoon coffe break. The sandstone was glowing and this spot perfected to reflect on a great trip. That evening, we gathered up a lot of driftwood and created a fitting end of the trip campfire in the pre-existing fire ring.
Matt exiting Cathedral Canyon
Matt exiting Cathedral Canyon
Near Little Arch Canyon, our last night's camp, day 6.
Near Little Arch Canyon, our last night's camp, day 6.
Lets go swimming!
Lets go swimming!
Mouth of Little Arch Canyon
Mouth of Little Arch Canyon
Negotiating Little Arch Canyon Narrows
Negotiating Little Arch Canyon Narrows
Beautiful sanstone high above Lake Powell.  Our evening coffee break.
Beautiful sanstone high above Lake Powell. Our evening coffee break.
DAY 7 I set my alarm for 5:30 for some sunrise photography and then broke camp and paddled into Mountain Sheep Canyon. The canyon was more open that the others, but no less beautiful. I explored about a mile of the slots and then had to move on, as we had to meet our pick up boat at noon. We made short work of the 4 remaining miles and arrived at the mouth of Wetherill Canyon at 11:30 and our taxi arrived shortly after. All in all, this ranks as one of the best outdoor trips I have ever done. It was refreshing to have the extra cargo space to carry a few luxury items without totally killing your back.
Our camp is in the lower left hand corner of this photo.
Our camp is in the lower left hand corner of this photo.
Paddling into Mountain Sheep Canyon on our last morning.
Paddling into Mountain Sheep Canyon on our last morning.
Mountain Sheep Narrows
Mountain Sheep Narrows
The trip coming to an end, making the final corner into the mouth of Wetherill Canyon, our designated pick up site.  We did not have time to paddle Wetherill, the only regret of our trip.
The trip coming to an end, making the final corner into the mouth of Wetherill Canyon, our designated pick up site. We did not have time to paddle Wetherill, the only regret of our trip.
I know a lot of peope have a negative opinion of Lake Powell and want to see the dam removed and have Glen Canyon restored to its natural state, but after spending a week on the lake, I cannot deny that it is still an amazing wilderness area that has much to offer to those willing to work to see some of its hidden beauty. I am sure that Glen Canyon in its original state would be amazing as well, but I have a new found love for the area as it is. If you are considering a trip, I would recommend going in the spring, or better yet in the fall to avoid the large crowds that the summertime bring. We were on the lake for 7 days and only saw 1-2 boats per day and did not see another person while hiking in the slots. Hope yall enjoy the photos. Here is a link with addtional photos if you want to check them out. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos Safe Travels, Matt

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
El Matador

El Matador
PostThu Apr 25, 2013 10:52 pm 
Cool video of our camp in Anasazi Canyon after the water fall cranked up. https://picasaweb.google.com/106722702117889983349/KayakingLakePowellApril2013#5870214038077734002

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostThu Apr 25, 2013 11:16 pm 
El Matador wrote:
Pretty outstanding! up.gif up.gif

El Matador

El Matador
PostThu Apr 25, 2013 11:18 pm 
Thanks, Go Jo. So many cool photos, I had a hard time picking the one to make the cut.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostFri Apr 26, 2013 5:32 am 
Wicked cool trip report, thanks for posting!

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Apr 26, 2013 6:05 am 
Very nice! Ever since I started sea kayaking, I've been wanting to do something like this. up.gif up.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostFri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 am 
Wow, NWHikers is coming through with the psych for my fall trip down there next year! My wife and I are kayakers, but can't get our double up on our van, otherwise I think I'd try to do something like this. Cool trip and great photos up.gif up.gif

ree

ree
PostFri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 am 
Such a cool trip! up.gif I'm jealous.

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostFri Apr 26, 2013 12:33 pm 
Wowie wow wow! I love everything about this report! This looks like an absolutely fun and amazing trip and makes me wish I was more of a competent kayaker. wink.gif Your photographs really show off the spectacular landscapes and slots. Well done sir. up.gif up.gif up.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
El Matador

El Matador
PostFri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 pm 
Hey guys, Thanks for all the kind words regarding the trip report. It is fun to share a trip that is outside the PNW with all you guys. I hope spring is treating you all well and cant wait for the mountains to open up, hopefully quite a bit earlier this year! up.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Apr 30, 2013 4:32 pm 
El Matador wrote:
Hey guys, Thanks for all the kind words regarding the trip report. It is fun to share a trip that is outside the PNW with all you guys. I hope spring is treating you all well and cant wait for the mountains to open up, hopefully quite a bit earlier this year! up.gif
Incredible pics of terrain I have never seen!!! Can I risk Abbey turning in his grave to try this sometime???? Guess we can't change the fact the lake it there, right? Great stuff, thanks for sharing. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
El Matador

El Matador
PostTue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Incredible pics of terrain I have never seen!!! Can I risk Abbey turning in his grave to try this sometime???? Guess we can't change the fact the lake it there, right? Great stuff, thanks for sharing. John
LOL, I think the only thing that might get him to roll over in his grave would be an opportunity to blow the Glen Canyon Dam!!! Desert Solitaire is a great read and serves as a poignant reminder of our effects on nature. He was obviously a passionate environmentalist and I respect the book on many levels. It is unlikely that the Glen Canyon Dam will be removed in my lifetime, so I choose to enjoy it for what it is now. Splendid scenery and if you go in the spring or fall, you can have the whole enchilada your yourself. Thanks for posting. Matt "It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards." Edward Abbey.

jcocci

jcocci
PostTue Apr 30, 2013 9:32 pm 
Wow, that looks outstanding. Going ot have to get my kayak down that way sometime.