Forum Index > Trip Reports > N Fk Quinault 3/8-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostTue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm 
The lady working at the Quinault Ranger station is such a darling. I must remember to bring her flowers or treats next time I am through there. It could not have been much nicer as we set out just before noon from the TH. Loaded with just the bare essentials, plus beer and girlscout cookies.
Pulled in for the night at Halfway House which has a couple decent trailside camps. There was a nice big rock bar for hounding, with open stream above and the river disappearing into a canyon below. We awoke to another nice day and made our way further N until starting to posthole at Francis Creek. The snow that started around Squaw Creek showed only tracks of hoof and paw. We played cards, slurped hops and barley, and enjoyed the sun on our faces as a cool breeze swept down Elip Creek from the mountains above. A flock of about 100 finch like birds would stealthily creep in on our conversation before being spooked off by sudden movement, only to repeat again. We also observed a 20"+ trout making its way up the creek.
Aside from the creeks, about 10 blowdowns and a small rockslide to deal with. Really nothing too drastic. You should be able to go twice as far as we did now without running into too much snow.
Happy Trails

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm 
Thanks for the TR.. I've only been on that trail once, I should get back an explore it some more. I get the feeling that not many people use that trail.

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostWed May 08, 2013 4:48 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
I get the feeling that not many people use that trail.
I find it very popular since links with the Elwha to cross the Olympics following the route of the Press Expedition. Also part of the Skyline loop, access to the southern Bailey Range, and the main way into the Low Divide/Martins Park area.