Forum Index > Trip Reports > Arches and Bryce Canyon National Parks May 3-6, 2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed May 08, 2013 11:24 am 
I have to admit, after everything up to this point, and not wanting to come home yet, I was spinning my wheels as to what to do next. On top of that, it was Friday night and I knew there wouldn't be an available campsite within 50 miles of Moab! The first answer: Get a free backcountry permit at Arches National Park and hike the shortest possible distance into one of their well mapped and established backcountry zones. The very map I write of is clearly visible at the counter of the visitor center and they were very accomodating in allowing me to go 1.5 flat miles down Courthouse Wash to a nice little slickrock campsite. Honestly, it felt a bit chlostrophobic after some of the other places I had hiked, but it would do. And I found a nice little exit route to get out onto the petrified dunes near sunset time.
Lots of beaver activity
Lots of beaver activity
Slickrock bench camp
Slickrock bench camp
Courthouse Wash
Courthouse Wash
yellow flower
yellow flower
View of petrified dunes
View of petrified dunes
paintbrush
paintbrush
downcanyon evening
downcanyon evening
Courthouse Towers above
Courthouse Towers above
morning reflection
morning reflection
In the morning I quickly hiked out, thinking it was indeed time to head for Washington. On I-70, I just couldn't do it. I couldn't leave. "Now what, I asked?" The second answer: Bryce, I figured, would be a nice little treat to myself as the trip end neared. Easy hiking, available car camping, quick walks from camp to the rim for my final sunrises, many ranger talks to chose, people watching of tourists, and I can never forget to mention: the breakfast buffet at the lodge!
Bryce afternoon
Bryce afternoon
tomorrow's destination
tomorrow's destination
The next morning I headed for the Fairyland Loop. I wanted something a bit different since I have hiked these main trails multiple times.. Thus, I detoured at the Tower Bridge to ascend Bristlecone Point, which is so clearly visible in the middle of it all from the major viewpoints.
IMG_3288
IMG_3288
little arch
little arch
The Tower Bridge
The Tower Bridge
toward Bristlecone Point
toward Bristlecone Point
flowers in rock
flowers in rock
white and yellow flower
white and yellow flower
Boat Mesa
Boat Mesa
view from Bristlecone Point
view from Bristlecone Point
IMG_3319
IMG_3319
The Sinking Ship
The Sinking Ship
yellow flower
yellow flower
Fairyland
Fairyland
The Fairyland of Rocks
The Fairyland of Rocks
purple flower
purple flower
more Fairyland
more Fairyland
great formations
great formations
forms and colors
forms and colors
I had a few hours on Monday to hike before the long drive home. Fortunately, if you remember NWHiker, Dean, gave me ideas on Peakbagger.com to go hit a couple easy points of prominence south of Bryce Point. These were fun because it is kind of like just continuing along the Rim Trail where it terminates at Bryce Point, albeit with no trail. But also with no people! Solitude is hard to come by at Bryce but this was a perfect way to get my last fix in by hiking up Pt. 8370' and Pt. 8406'
Over toward Pt. 8370'
Over toward Pt. 8370'
looking south to Rainbow Point
looking south to Rainbow Point
South view from Pt. 8370'
South view from Pt. 8370'
some sun!
some sun!
Yellow Creek valley
Yellow Creek valley
Bryce National Park, miles south of Bryce Point
Bryce National Park, miles south of Bryce Point
pronghorn
pronghorn
pronghorn 2
pronghorn 2
the male
the male
looking at Pt. 8373'
looking at Pt. 8373'
another little arch
another little arch
view from Pt. 8406'
view from Pt. 8406'
cool final look, more arches
cool final look, more arches
But one of the real treats of this Bryce visit was running into fellow NWHikers Lin, Rainie Too, and company in the campground! Accomplished canyon trekkers they be, we all shared experiences in canyon country, including storied locations like "The Maze" and "Buckskin Gulch" and others I have yet to visit. Hopefully I will find a common date in the future to share a canyon hike with these great folks. Argh, it is all over now, for another year......

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostWed May 08, 2013 2:53 pm 
Can't wait to get back there again .. hopefully in late fall .. thx so much John .. your SW TR's are always inspirational!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Abert

Abert
PostThu May 09, 2013 7:26 am 
We missed each other by two days at Bryce. But how do you find the special places that I always seem to miss?
John Morrow wrote:
the breakfast buffet at the lodge!

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu May 09, 2013 12:08 pm 
up.gif