Forum Index > Trip Reports > Earl Peak - 5.6.2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed May 08, 2013 11:27 am 
Toto, I have a feeling we aren't in Sedona anymore!! First the important stuff... the road to the Beverly/Bean Trailhead is snow-free. The bad news is that you will be taking a huge risk if you try and cross it... and that goes for the crossing to get into the Beverly Turnpike and the crossing a quarter mile up the Bean Creek Trail... here is what I am talking about... Short video of Bean Creek on 5.6.2013 The original plan was to go up the turnpike and do Iron, Teanaway or Bill... however, the raging creek made it a simple decision to stay on the east side of Bean Creek and follow it up toward Bean Creek Basin to where the summer trail goes up to the saddle on the south side of Earl Peak. We took a fairly direct route up on the snow... staying on the north side of the gully that comes down from the saddle... eventually working our way over to the good path on Earl's south ridge at ~6500 feet... leaving a snow free route to the summit (7036'). I will leave it to my photos to describe the views. We descended by staying on Earl's south ridge back down to the saddle... where we more or less followed the summer trail down to the basin... then traced our steps back along the east side of Bean Creek... finishing the last half-mile on a snow-free trail. Gear carried and not used... spikes/crampons, ice axe and water shoes for the expected creek crossing. We did use snowshoes on our return along the east side of Bean Creek. ~6 miles roundtrip, gaining ~3450 feet of elevation. Photos and maps of our trip to Earl Peak. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostWed May 08, 2013 2:51 pm 
up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed May 08, 2013 9:42 pm 
eek.gif Whoa! Whitewater on the Mighty Bean! Awesome! Looks like a really nice day for Earl. And if there's snow, you KNOW Izzy is having a great time! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"