Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ross Lake Redux - Now With Swedish Fire Torch! (03.23-24.13)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KarlK

KarlK
PostSun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 pm 
Known not just for their meat balls, those crafty Swedes also get credit for a type of fire known as the Swedish Fire Torch. The Finns also assert credit for this invention, but the Swedes apparently have better PR people since "Swedish Fire Torch" seems to largely own the discussion, followed by Swedish Fire Candle, Swedish Candle, and Awesome Swedish Thing That The Swedes do. Anyhow, me being an aficionado of warm fires on cold camping nights and always up for adopting new ways to indulge this old pleasure, I decided to try my (semi-Finnish) hand at the Swedish Fire Torch Method on this weekend's reprise of the 'jog the Ross Lake West Side Trail to the Big Beaver Trail and then jog back to Cougar Island for the night thing'. A brief diversion before continuing with the main thrust of this post: I am happy to report that my modest efforts to illuminate the charming nature of Ross Lake in Winter and early Spring have not been entirely in vain. Turns out that Skip Newsom (a fellow I met at Ross Lake's Rainbow Point campground a couple years ago) had read my previous Cougar Island post and subsequently talked his home-for-spring-break son Aaron into giving it a go.
Skip (L) and Aaron (R)
Skip (L) and Aaron (R)
It was very cool to have some company. OK - back to the Swedish Fire Torch/Candle/Awesome Swedish Thing. I employed a method advocated for use in really wet conditions (described here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKzvWDeiFc) and here it is with the initial seed of a fire sprouting:
Fire torch being kindled with Fritos
Fire torch being kindled with Fritos
Yup, you read the caption correctly - I used Fritos to get an initial flame that was hot enough to fire up the initial collection of reluctant (wet) twigs and sticks. Indeed, Fritos are an awesome multipurpose outdoorsman's friend (and they also like outdoorswomens as well). The Genius Food Scientists at Frito Lay have figured out how to pack the utmost maximum of oil into their tasty product, and the oily carbohydrate concoction burns with an intensity just short of napalm, or Mautz Fire Ribbon (which I think are the same thing). You just light up a few Frito chips (I prefer Frito Scoops) with a suitable source (nifty blowtorch-like lighter or Snowpeak butane/propane stove, for e.g.s), drop 'em into the chimney of the torch-to-be, add a few twigs and sticks and you're off to the races. In short order, you get this:
Why it's called a fire torch!
Why it's called a fire torch!
Furthermore, the Swedish-Finnish-Whomever torch lasts a long time and in its final throes can be converted into a regular American fire.
Still going?and going?and going
Still going?and going?and going
Ross lake was down some 85' from its nominal summer pool value on this trip, so go hang 20 on an island while the getting is good.
Cougar's dangling dock
Cougar's dangling dock

Karl J Kaiyala
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Mar 25, 2013 7:10 am 
COOL! As a side note, Swedish fire steel does a great job of lighting stoves.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 21, 2013 11:04 am 
Wow. Fritos sound almost as good as Wolffie's Panacaea: fire starter, sunscreen, insect repellant, lip salve, boot waterproofing, antibiotic ointment, survival ration, dog food, analgesic, snake bite/scorpion sting remedy, burn salve, ski wax, rust inhibitor, and personal lubricant. Comes in 6 flavors. wolffiespanacaea.com

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.