Forum Index > Trip Reports > Carbon River Coal Mine Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostSun May 19, 2013 9:47 am 
A short (.25 mile) but steep (a real Achilles stretcher) trail off of the Carbon River Road which I never knew existed until yesterday. It started out as a social trail, but now MRNP is going to make it an official trail so we went out to help improve the trail to MRNP standards. I did not get as far as the end of the trail, but others who did go report that there really is a mine entrance which is blocked with metal grate where you can look into it for about 10 feet. Here is the link to the pictures on Facebook. MRNPA 5/18/13 Work Party

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun May 19, 2013 10:16 pm 
The mine is pretty neat. Stopped by a couple of months ago on the way back from the Green Lake trail. We saw that it was only .25 miles to the mine, but we soon realized it was not a flat .25 miles smile.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon May 20, 2013 5:59 am 
Always wondered about this. A trip report from 2 years ago (scroll down a little) when a ranger told me about the side trail. I didn't go much beyond the mine, but the trail seemed to continue. Wondered if there was anything beyond that first mine. As I recall the trail was muddy and steep, definitely at the time not refined or really maintained but followable. Trekking poles recommended.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon May 20, 2013 8:48 pm 
This little trail has been left to nature for a long time so it will still need alot of attention to raise it to Park standards. And keep in mind it was built by miners in the first place so it's a steep little hike. It was also one of the more difficult trails I've worked on with the challenges of steepness, mud, roots over the trail and rocks under the roots. But it's in a beautiful part of the Park that it so unlike Paradise or Sunrise. And on a drippy, foggy day we really felt the richness of the rain forest.
Here's Zach (one of only 2 trail crew members working this side of the Park this summer... shakehead.gif ) giving welcome and instructions.
Grabbing the tools and heading up...
Here are some of our group hard at work...
And here are some before and after shots: Steep narrow rocky switchback....
Nice smooth switchback!
Narrow, overgrown piece of trail...
Nice wide easy tread!
Another steep section...
Greatly improved with about 5 new water bars!
And one swampy messy spot...
...that will be MUCH better when this bridge is completed!
As I've said before, these work parties are very rewarding and always fun as we enjoy the company of good friends who love Mt Rainier as much as I do! up.gif smile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"