Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wilderness Baggers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostSat Feb 09, 2013 10:34 pm 
There's plenty of peakbaggers on this site. County highpointers by the dozen. A handful of Bulger 100s. But, are there any Wilderness Area baggers? People who've spent a night in every wilderness area in Washington State? I sure haven't. Anyone come close? What area in the National Wilderness Preservation System eludes your list?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Feb 09, 2013 11:18 pm 
I haven't really tried bagging them by an overnight stay but I have attempted to hike in as many as possible. But I have set that aside for right now to try hiking (as much as the trails will allow) all the river valleys on the Olympic Peninsula. I include major creeks as well. Some are total bushwacks. Some don't really allow much because they go through privately owned land. For me this is an attempt to just see the whole range of what is available rather than simply adhering to an official list. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Phil

Phil
PostMon Feb 11, 2013 1:18 pm 
I specifically targetted Wonder Mt. Wilderness about ten years ago in a 'bagging' sense and have gone there a couple of other times since. Otherwise never really occurred to me to try to visit others just for the sake of it or to check them off a list. Would be a number of big drives out to the eastern side of the state to get them all.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Feb 11, 2013 2:53 pm 
I thought I was the only one. Not overnights, but I did visit three new ones with my family last year.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSat May 25, 2013 11:16 am 
Check out my TRs. My girlfriend, of ten years, and I backpack excessively, and noticed something the other day. In the last year we have done overnight backpacking along every major river in the Olympics except the Sol Duc and Bogachiel, and we're going to Sol Duc in a couple of days. That's the Skokomish, Hamma Hamma, Dosewallips, Duckabush, Quilcene, Dungeness, Elwaha, and Quinault.

soUthinkUcanCamp
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat May 25, 2013 1:29 pm 
Even a single wilderness area can contain so much varied terrain that seeing it all would take a big chunk of a lifetime. Just "bagging" a single wilderness area by having been in it doesn't mean much. I could walk three feet beyond the wilderness boundary sign, turn around and come back and never go again. I could still claim I've "been in," for example, the Glacier Peak Wilderness. I certainly won't have experienced it, though. At least peakbaggers have to get to the top of the peak!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat May 25, 2013 3:51 pm 
GH makes a valid point. You can be in the Travelers' Century Club if you visit 100 countries or territories in the world. They will count a fuel stop at the airport as a country visit even if you never get off the plane. What she is saying is much the same.