Forum Index > Food & Grub > Dehydrated Burgers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 10, 2013 11:29 pm 
Yes, yes, I know. It's Nutrisystem. But... these burgers are surprisingly good. Just add water. Bun and condiments not included. http://www.nutrisystem.com/jsps_hmr/catalog/menu/custom_menu/food_item_detail.jsp?meal=dinner&plan=basic&productId=926

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Jun 13, 2013 1:01 am 
It's not that it's Nutrisystem, for me it's the fact that it's meat. Meat doesn't digest well and for some people it makes them feel sick. It makes most people sick and they don't even know it. Also the hormones that the cows are given make us sick and many experts say the chemicals are harmful to us. hurl.gif The idea, however, of placing a dry patty in boiling water until it's ready is definitely enticing to me. burger.gif I wonder if you could dehydrate the patty of your choice...Google time. Edit: I had no luck on finding something about dehydrating pattys. I think it would fall apart if you tried to dehydrate and rehydrate a patty, but who knows.

soUthinkUcanCamp
JPH

JPH
PostFri Jun 14, 2013 11:57 am 
Where can you get those?

Luc

Luc
PostWed Jun 19, 2013 6:34 pm 
hells yes.

GNGSTR
fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostFri Jul 19, 2013 5:52 pm 
JPH wrote:
Where can you get those?
Just order a burger at Mcdonalds uncooked. ykm.gif JK!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 19, 2013 6:04 pm 
I once went on a climb with a guy who just went throug the drive-through on the way to the TH and ordered eight jumbo jacks for his food on a four day trip. I seemed to do fine -- he must have a strong imunue system

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostWed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 pm 
Critter wrote:
It makes most people sick and they don't even know it.
No, it doesn't. --Gray

hikerdan3369
Slave to The Gear

hikerdan3369
Slave to The Gear
PostWed Oct 02, 2013 8:25 pm 
Critter is right. Humans are not carnivores, nor even omnivores, we're herbivores. Look at the length of your intestine vs a true carnivore. Do you have canines for tearing flesh? Talons for the same? No, you have molars. For grinding. Plants. Your intestines are long to help absorb all the plant nutrients you should be eating. Do you have the acids in your gut to help dissolve animal flesh? No. you don't. Can you run down a prey animal and feed yourself? Good luck with that. I'll take my plant based diet and health over yours any day. Makes you sick? Maybe not in the conventional sense. However, heart disease, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, ulcers and other digestive issues can all be attributed to a diet high in animal products, including dairy. Do your research. Watch Earthlings and/or Forks over Knives. Look at the truth behind factory farms and why so many people on this planet go hungry. hockeygrin.gif

If it were easy everybody would do it.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 05, 2013 10:55 am 
Arguments about human physiology and what a proper diet are interesting -- However even the plant foods we eat now are vastly different than those consumed in pre-history when the bulk of human evolution occurred. Wheat and rice as we think of them today did not exist 10,000 years ago -- humans, wheat, rice, cattle and other domesticated plants and animals have co-evolved significantly in the last 10,000 years and are what makes civilization possible. Diseases like heart disease, diabetes, etc from overconsumption are classic 1st world problems – in many parts of the developing world people are challenged to get enough daily calories to survive.

AdventureStrong

AdventureStrong
PostSat Oct 12, 2013 5:03 am 
We are omnivores that's why we have the variety of teeth that we do. We're clearly not carnivores because we're not build like carnivores. But if we weren't meant to eat meat, we wouldn't have been doing so for thousands of years. Also, people actually can run down prey. In fact, it's a technique that some tribes in Africa still use on occasion. You can learn more about it in the book Born to Run. There's nothing inherently wrong with eating meat (with the exception of personal health issues). However, if you choose not to eat meat than that's great too. A lot of the health factors you mention have a lot more to do with the amount of processed food that Americans eat. These days, traditionally processed meat and dairy is filled with chemicals, antibiotics, etc. Many of the problems people experience today from food (such as dairy) weren't problems even just a few decades ago. Additionally, it's tenuous at best to say those are meat-eating related health problems if you look beyond America where native people around the world eat meat and have significantly lower rates of ulcers, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. There are more valid reasons on a moral level to avoid meat than there are on a scientific level. Also, factory farms and people going hungry are unrelated to the issue of whether or not we're omnivores and should or should not eat meat. More to the point of the thread, I would pass on the Nutrisystem burgers simply because they're over-processed. I'd recommend making your own burger patties or cooking up some ground beef. Picture included to highlight the issue of teeth.

Exploring the World, One Trail at a Time Adventure Strong | @AdventureStrong
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 11:15 am 
Oh yea lets compare the digestive tracts and teeth of other animals...OK i'll go there Many herbivores vomit in there mouth and re-chew (aka cud) there partially digested food then swallow it again. Still this is not enough to fully process the vegetation. Owls do not have teeth. They swallow large chunks of there prey, or whole. But they cannot digest hair or bones, nor can they pass hair and bones through the rest of there digestive system. So the undigested goes back out the same way it came in. Yep they crap out there mouth. Yes it's true we cannot fully digest meat, but when was the last time you looked in the toilet after eating corn? Many of the foods we eat we cannot fully process that does not mean it's not edible. We are omnivores.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 am 
I'm an omnivore. I eat things that eat only vegetables. You can be what you want. Don't tell me what to eat. Packitgourmet's freeze dried ground beef is pretty good too. i toss in some taco seasoning, pack along a few tortillas and have surprisingly good and very simple burritos.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 pm 
Daryl wrote:
Packitgourmet's freeze dried ground beef is pretty good too. i toss in some taco seasoning, pack along a few tortillas and have surprisingly good and very simple burritos.
Yeah. Their "All American Burger" is pretty tasty. We sat around spitballing ideas for alternate uses and taco/burritos were an obvious one that we plan on trying next year. Also like it added into their bean and cheese burritos for a bit more hefty of a lunch. --Gray

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 am 
you all should try adding PACKITGOURMETS....... Dotties chix. and dumplings to a cup o noodles...REALLY AMAZING RAMEN!!

robM

robM
PostThu Oct 17, 2013 3:46 pm 
Critter wrote:
It makes most people sick and they don't even know it.
lol.gif thx

Get a life, or die trying!