Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Bob and Ira Spring Photographs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lowell_Skoog

Lowell_Skoog
PostFri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 am 
Bob Spring (left), writer Byron Fish (center) and Ira Spring (kneeling) select photographs for one of their historic picture books, circa 1960. University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections, Bob and Ira Spring Photographs, Negative #25732. The Bob and Ira Spring B&W Photographs are now in UW Special Collections. For mountaineers who came of age in the latter half of the 1900s, the photographs of Bob and Ira Spring have captured some of the most memorable and iconic images of our Northwest mountains. In later years, the Spring brothers were best known for their 100 Hikes series of guidebooks. But early in their careers, many of their photographs illustrated mountaineering and skiing adventures.
Upper left: Joan Burton ski touring near Mt Rainier, c1958 (print #17276). Upper right: Forest fire fighters in the Cascades, c1958 (print #17884). Lower left: Hikers explore the Paradise Ice Caves on Mt Rainier, c1958 (print #18063). Lower right: Climbers at White Rock Lakes on the Ptarmigan Traverse, 1957 (print #16500). Through a collaboration between the Spring family and the Mountaineers History Committee, the Bob and Ira Spring B&W photographs have now been indexed and transferred to UW Special Collections, where they can be accessed and enjoyed by the public. A preliminary finding aid can be seen on the Mountaineers Archives website here: http://mountaineers.org/history/findaids/spring-bw-photos.html Eventually, the University will create the its own finding aid, which will reside on the Special Collections website: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/ The Spring photographs cover much more than just mountaineering. During their long careers, Bob and Ira Spring photographed every corner of the Northwest, from ocean beaches to dry scab-lands and from bustling cities to rugged logging camps. The collection also includes thousands of photographs from Alaska, Canada, the western U.S., and much more. Working with the Spring family and the University to make these photographs accessible has been a long and rewarding experience. I hope this donation opens a new chapter in the appreciation of these wonderful and historic images.
Upper left: "Valley pounder" at Klapatchie Park, c1955 (negative #5275). Upper right: Fred Beckey climbing Lighthouse Tower, 1949 (negative #3410-x02). Lower left: Morton Loggers Jubilee, 1955 (negative #13625). Lower right: Gary Rose ice climbing on Mt Rainier, c1953 (negative #9128).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Jun 28, 2013 7:17 am 
Great news. Love those archives.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jun 28, 2013 10:59 am 
This is really good news. I appreciate it that the Spring family decided to donate these to an institution that makes it possible to access the collection. I hope eventually they put up low-res versions in their digital collection, as they have for others like Kinsey. And thanks to Lowell for all his work in making this happen, and creating the index.

Lowell_Skoog

Lowell_Skoog
PostFri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 am 
puzzlr wrote:
I hope eventually they put up low-res versions in their digital collection, as they have for others like Kinsey.
I think they will. I gave UW over 1000 scans of selected images along with the original negatives and prints. That should give them a big head start. No guarantees on the timeline though. It's out of my hands now.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 pm 
Lowell I really appreciate all your efforts to document the history of skiing, hiking, and climbing around the PNW. up.gif up.gif I am looking forward to seeing the photos.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jun 28, 2013 1:34 pm 
Very cool. Thanks for helping make this happen, Lowell. I've enjoyed being able to access the Kinsey collection, and look forward to checking this one out as well!

Lowell_Skoog

Lowell_Skoog
PostTue Jul 02, 2013 4:06 pm 
It's great to see enthusiasm for this collection. It turns out that UW is not quite ready to have people come look through the collection. They need to complete some formalities and review the collection in detail to make sure everything is accounted for before letting people go through it. I don't know how long that will take. So, you should give UW Special Collections a call before you plan a visit. Thanks for your patience.

iron

iron
PostTue Jul 02, 2013 4:41 pm 
stunning photos! thanks for the hard work lowell!

RodF

RodF
PostThu Jul 04, 2013 6:36 pm 
for fellow fans of Ira and Bob Spring, "High Rocks and Ice" and "Jar of Peanut Butter" are still available, new and used, on Amazon.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSat Jul 06, 2013 4:00 pm 
Thanks for all your work on this and the info here Lowell up.gif up.gif