Forum Index > Trip Reports > Merchants Basin 6/27-6/28 2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Abert

Abert
PostSun Jun 30, 2013 6:27 am 
After waiting a couple of days for forecasted improving weather I hiked to Merchants Basin Thursday morning but still spent the afternoon lying in my tent as it rained/drizzled/misted until after 5. When the precipitation stopped I walked up to Switchback Peak hoping for a little clearing but instead discovered that the inside of a cloud looks pretty much the same no matter where you are. Friday morning I was up early and retraced my steps up Switchback and then over to Martin Peak. I looked over at Cheops but decided that getting there and still having the energy to break camp and make the planned loop to North Navarre on the way out seemed unlikely so I walked the ridge back to Switchback. I got there just in time to see Navarre disappear in the clouds. Motivation evaporated and I settled for sitting on the top of Switchback for a couple of hours, enjoying the warmth of the morning sun, until the clouds came over around noon. Walking back to the trailhead I took a sidetrip up to Sunrise Lake and the ridge above it. Softening, patchy snow started at about 6000' on the way up to Merchants Basin. Even early Friday morning the snow above 8000' was quite soft. Going up through the forest to Sunrise Lake at 7200' on the sun-protected side of the ridge the snow cover was still just broken. I would think most of the remaining snow would disappear in the current heatwave except for the northern aspects of the mountains. All the trip pictures are here
Bigelow-Cheops-Raven Ridge
Bigelow-Cheops-Raven Ridge
Oval
Oval
Cooney Lake
Cooney Lake
Switchback Peak
Switchback Peak
Sunrise Lake
Sunrise Lake
Star Peak
Star Peak
Bigelow
Bigelow
Cooney Lake Basin
Cooney Lake Basin
Merchants Basin
Merchants Basin
Merchants Basin
Merchants Basin
Sunrise Lake
Sunrise Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 30, 2013 7:26 am 
Those are SOME side trips. LOL. Great pics and thanks for the beta. That area will be cleared soon. Time to make some plans.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 30, 2013 8:31 am 
Very nice pics. Are the horseflies out yet?

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jun 30, 2013 10:01 pm 
Great pictures, Abert. Truth be known, this was one of my potential destinations when I went out on Friday. Would have been a pleasure to run into you. I've been to Merchants twice (looking for thrice) and it's one of my favorites. peace.gif
Switchback
1 label
Switchback

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jun 30, 2013 10:13 pm 
Good stuff, Abert. up.gif

Abert

Abert
PostMon Jul 01, 2013 4:32 am 
RichP, I camped at 7300' with no bugs. There were a few mosquitoes at the TH. I'm sure things are changing rapidly with the heat.