Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lena Lake/Valley Of The Silent Men/Brothers Base - 7/5/2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
crabio

crabio
PostMon Jul 08, 2013 1:35 pm 
Well, decided to head out on Friday and see what all the fuss was about anytime anyone talked about The Valley Of The Silent Men. I got to the Lena Lake TH around 8:30 and was surprised that the parking area was not jam packed with cars.
Lena Lake TH
Lena Lake TH
Lena Lake
Lena Lake
The Lena Lake trail is ... in a word ... boring. I will say that I didn't see as much litter along the way as I have in the past but still. This is just a boring hike. I had it all to myself.
Lena Lake Trail
Lena Lake Trail
Got to the lake in an hour. Stopped for a breather and the customary photos.
Customary Lake Shot
Customary Lake Shot
A big rock and a backpack. My backpack.
A big rock and a backpack. My backpack.
Boot shot - Lena Lake
Boot shot - Lena Lake
Headed around the lake and only saw one tent set up. Again ... odd since this was a big holiday weekend.
This way to The Brothers
This way to The Brothers
Love these kinds of crossings
Love these kinds of crossings
Found the turn off and headed up the Valley Of The Silent Men. Maybe it's just me. But as I started in I kept thinking ... Really? This is just walking through the woods. Trees look the same. Trail looks the same.
Interesting burn pattern
Interesting burn pattern
Valley Of The Silent Men
Valley Of The Silent Men
Valley Of The Silent Men
Valley Of The Silent Men
Cedar planks
Cedar planks
The smell of cedar here would almost knock you down
The smell of cedar here would almost knock you down
Damn!!!
Damn!!!
Washout
Washout
Avalanche
Avalanche
Where the hell did all the bark go?
Where the hell did all the bark go?
Sturdy Hand Rail
Sturdy Hand Rail
Interesting trail scramble
Interesting trail scramble
Along the Trail
Along the Trail
Well I kept going thinking ... well ... at least when I get to the base camp that will be worth it right?
This better not be the base camp
This better not be the base camp
Well as the miles ticked by and the clock ticked by I kept saying ... maybe around the next turn. Oh wait ! Look up ahead ! Clearing ! Oh wait ... never mind. More trees. You know ... I don't know what I expected. Actually that's not true. I know what I expected. I expected THIS !
Expectation
Expectation
Instead ... I finally stumbled into base camp and was greeted with this
Reality
Reality
You've got to be kidding me. Spoke to a couple who tried to summit that morning and were turned around when they lost the trail in the clouds. When I asked where I could go to see the "mountain" then both looked at me with this odd expression as if to say .... Ummmmmm yea. You can't see it from here. So I proceeded to plop myself down in an empty camp spot ...
Base Camp
Base Camp
Change my socks and start back. Was I in the woods hiking? Yes. Did I see anything that I could not have seen walking down my driveway to get the mail? Not really ... But at least I did it and know that I don't have to go back. Maybe someone else can read this and pick an alternative destination. Note: I did have one bright spot for the day. When I say it, every guy ... and maybe some women ... will know what I'm talking about. Under Armour Compression Shorts party.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jul 08, 2013 2:44 pm 
I agree that he lower trail is boring.. but the valley trail is nice.. are you trolling or did you not notice the lovely little waterfall way up the Brothers trail? To see a mountain you'll have to climb the mountain.. Base camp is dark and spooky and haunted by nocturnal woodpeckers.

iron

iron
PostMon Jul 08, 2013 4:20 pm 
i think you live in the wrong state... clown.gif

crabio

crabio
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 6:24 am 
Ranger Rock wrote:
are you trolling?
Hardly. Just describing my hike the way I experienced it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 10:37 am 
Ranger Rock wrote:
I agree that he lower trail is boring.. but the valley trail is nice.. are you trolling or did you not notice the lovely little waterfall way up the Brothers trail? To see a mountain you'll have to climb the mountain.. Base camp is dark and spooky and haunted by nocturnal woodpeckers.
What do you mean, trolling? He posted a trip report. And included his feelings about the trip. I tend to agree, based on my visit to Lena Lake many years ago.