Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cerro del Creston (Mazatlan, Mexico)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSat Jul 06, 2013 6:50 am 
Earlier this past week, I was sent on a worktrip for several days to Mazatlan, Mexico. It was nearly all work and no play, but I woke up early enough during the final morning of the trip so I could hike up Cerro del Creston, the highest point within the city limits. The peak is geologically an island, but the government has built-up a stretch of land through pavement and rock placement and now considers the peak part of the mainland. The summit is approximately 515'-523' elevation above high tide. Even with the artifically-connected land build-up included, the peak would still have ~500' of clean prominence. Cerro del Creston is one of the most popular landmarks in the city. It is a regular sightseeing and walking destination for locals and tourists. There is a well-traveled trail leading up the peak, the top second-half of which contains over 320 concrete stairs. Atop its summit is the second-highest natural marine lighthouse ("El Faro") in the world, only behind Gibraltar. In other words, the natural ground is the second-highest for an operational marine lighthouse. The term "highest" is not to be confused with "tallest" as there are many marine lighthouses worldwide which have taller buildings but on lower-elevation ground. The lighthouse atop Cerro del Creston is only approximately 2.5 stories tall. I would recommend this peak for any visitors to Mazatlan. Although I did not arrive to the city via ferry, the peak is only 0.9 miles away from the ferry terminal. It only took me 30 minutes roundtrip, including many photo stops. Here are a few of those photos:
Cerro del Creston
Cerro del Creston
Entrance Gate
Entrance Gate
Road-Trail
Road-Trail
Shortly After Sunrise
Shortly After Sunrise
Part Of 300+ Staircase
Part Of 300+ Staircase
Approaching El Faro
Approaching El Faro
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
El Faro ("The Lighthouse":)
El Faro ("The Lighthouse")
Pacific Ocean
Pacific Ocean

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Paul M

Paul M
PostMon Jul 08, 2013 10:26 pm 
Cool Craig! Way to make the best of a work trip too!

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 11:01 am 
Is the old guy selling pop still up there?

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.