Forum Index > Trip Reports > Yellow Aster Butte - 7/7/2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostMon Jul 08, 2013 10:39 pm 
I found myself in Bellingham this last weekend, so I used the opportunity to get into the Baker area. After consulting with the rangers at Glacier, I headed up to Yellow Aster Butte. The road is clear to the parking lot, but blocked by a large pile of snow immediately after, so those heading toward twin lakes and beyond will need to wait for this to melt, or walk from the Yellow Aster Trailhead. The first mile or so of the trail is snow free. You hit snow as you approach the lower basin. The basin has plenty of snow, but the hillsides are starting to melt out. Tracks head down the bottom of the basin, but the actual trail is on the hillside to the right. Keep your eyes on the hillside and you will spot it.
Goat Mountain
Goat Mountain
Once back on the trail, it's easy to follow. It's about half melted out, and there are plenty of tracks in the snow to lead you to the next section. After going around the mountain, you reach the upper basin. This is still mostly snow covered. There are many tarns just starting to melt out, and one melted out cams site.
View from the camp site
View from the camp site
Tarns melting out. Camp site is in the trees.
Tarns melting out. Camp site is in the trees.
Near the upper basin, the trail splits. The trail on the right climbs to the South summit. The trail on the left goes into the basin. The South summit has a really nice view of all the surrounding mountains.
Winchester Mountain
Winchester Mountain
American and Canadian Border Peaks
American and Canadian Border Peaks
North summit of Yellow Aster Butte
North summit of Yellow Aster Butte
Mt. Larrabee
Mt. Larrabee
Local welcoming committee
Local welcoming committee
The North summit is just down the ridge from the South. It's slightly higher than the South. There are views of Tomyhoi Lake as well as all the surrounding mountains.
Tomyhoi Peak
Tomyhoi Peak
South peak and the upper basin. Baker in the clouds.
South peak and the upper basin. Baker in the clouds.
Shuksan almost peaking out of the clouds.
Shuksan almost peaking out of the clouds.
This was a very nice hike up into the high country. There is still some snow but it is melting out fast. None of it is all that steep, so a ice axe is not necessary, but poles may be nice. No bugs yet, but I'm sure they are not far off.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 pm 
Great report MM! Bet it was pretty quiet up there... I didn't expect the road to be melted out that far already! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 10:00 pm 
I ran into a few groups, but it wasn't too bad. I bet this hike will get a lot more crowded in a few weeks.