Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lassen National Park hikes July 5-7, 2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 8:59 pm 
I headed up to Lassen, a couple hours from Reno on a whim and really enjoyed it. I actually had no idea it featured the largest hydrothermal expanse outside of Yellowstone. Some easy hikes to highpoints brought me fine views and I did a quick overnight to a series of nice lakes. Leisurely all in all and that was what I was seeking. Friday I got one of the last sites in the walk in campground at the SW entrance Visitor Center. After setting up I walked over to the Brokeoff TH and did the nice trail ascent of Brokeoff Mountain to have a look around.
Starting toward Brokeoff Mtn
Starting toward Brokeoff Mtn
Heather and Brokeoff
Heather and Brokeoff
From Brokeoff
From Brokeoff
The composite volcano slope
The composite volcano slope
Up early for some sunrise color and to beat some of the crowds, I drove on up to the Lassen Peak TH and hiked the trail to the top of Lassen Peak.
Brokeoff sunrise
Brokeoff sunrise
Brokeoff, Diller, Eagle
Brokeoff, Diller, Eagle
Trail grunts
Trail grunts
Lassen Crater
Lassen Crater
Lassen devastation
Lassen devastation
Chaos Crags and Shasta
Chaos Crags and Shasta
Reading Mtn and southeast
Reading Mtn and southeast
Then I sight-saw and drove to Manzanita on the North side of the park for ice cream and a wilderness permit. Back up the road to the Bumpass Trailhead to catch a 2PM Ranger talk and then a hike to the Bumpass Hydrothermal Area. A woman was in the process of being rescued so I stopped to see the helicopter show. Two actually responded initially! NPS service.
Reading Mtn
Reading Mtn
Lassen northside
Lassen northside
Coming to the rescue
Coming to the rescue
Injured hiker
Injured hiker
steam and fumeroles
steam and fumeroles
boiling!
boiling!
bubblin'
bubblin'
colorful
colorful
Then it was off to the Shadow/Terrace Lakes TH for my short 1.5 mile hike in to a backcountry zone for a campsite.
Terrace Lake
Terrace Lake
Shadow Lake
Shadow Lake
Cliff Lake
Cliff Lake
In the morning I hiked right back out and leisurely took one more walk to Cold Boiling Lake which wasn't much of a Hydrothermal sight but a pleasant spot none the less.
Shadow morning
Shadow morning
Outlet creek
Outlet creek
IMG_3640
IMG_3640
Terrace morning
Terrace morning
cold boiling?
cold boiling?
I learned I reached the top of two of the 4 volcano types represented in the Park: Composite Volcano: Brokeoff Plug Dome: Lassen I'll have to go back some day to hike to the top of a Cinder Cone and Shield Volcano (Harkness Mtn. and Cinder Cone would do it!)

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TPayne

TPayne
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 pm 
I was in the area towards end of June, was 45 degrees and pouring rain! Just a few days later, upper 90s. Bumpass Hell was still closed with snow. Thanks for posting the photos. Most certainly want to go back!

LP

LP
PostSat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am 
Nice photos! I'm excited to be going to Lassen next month after a gap of many years. The Lassen Peak Trail has been undergoing a multi-year renovation and is only open a few weekends in the summer. As kids our goal was always to be the first on top for the day. This year I'd like to try a night hike and watch the sunrise.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jul 14, 2013 8:27 am 
I drove through there a couple of years ago on my way to the bay area and spent about a half day just checking it out and doing a couple of short hikes near the road. I could tell the area had potential for some great hiking. Also, I have not seen that much steam shooting up out of the ground since I was in the north island of New Zealand. Thanks for the reminder. up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 14, 2013 8:49 am 
Nice writeup, John. up.gif
LP wrote:
The Lassen Peak Trail has been undergoing a multi-year renovation and is only open a few weekends in the summer.
Is this still the case? I want to go down there, but am unwilling to do so if that trail is closed weekdays.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 14, 2013 8:52 am 
ree

ree
PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 am 
John, thanks for posting the trip report. We're toying with visiting this area soonish. I had no idea they had limited access to Lassen Peak. Thanks for the link, Magellan. I'm guessing there's loads to see there, even if that one area is closed, no? How many days do you need in Lassen, min? Great pictures... a little Yellowstone tucked in NoCal. up.gif