Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Basin via Deer Park ONP 13'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 am 
Who in their right mind would do a loopish route from Deer Park, Obstruction Point, Badger Valley, Grand Valley, Cameron Pass, Lost Basin, Dose, up Deception Creek to Basin; then over Pass to Upper Royal Basin and then out? I'm that idot. Shaking my head while bushwhacking neck deep in endless Slide Alder. Put together this walk by reading too much from the ONP Climbers Guide. Burning that thing (not really). Thinking about going up to Deception Basin from the Dose? Dont unless you're a masochist! Sum it up like this. Sidehill, Windfall, Devils Club, lots of other pokie things, rock fall/slides and then lots of those things all together at times. Couldnt imagine doing it with a traditional backpack; climbing through Slide Alder like a monkey as Deception Creek rushes under my feet; 10' below. Nice views of Mystery and Little Mystery from that side tho. I was sure glad to see the Basin tho after the bushwhack; beautiful. Posted full snow condition report of these areas on [nofollow=http://www.barefootjake.com/2013/07/summer-update-2-heaven-and-hell.html]my blog[/url]. *Special thanks to Tomlike for his report, motivated me to alter from the original plan.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 8:47 am 
That is an interesting sounding route. On your blog you have a picture of Gunsight Pass. I have followed Deception Creek up to the area where you took the picture and turned around there. I was wondering where you ran into the slide alder. Was it between where you took the Gunsight Pass picture and Deception Basin? Did you see any of the round route markers nailed to the trees along Deception Creek? In the old days I think that was the main route to Mt. Deception and Deception Basin. In those days it was a 10 mile hike to the where the present Dungeness trailhead is. Edit: How many days was this hike?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 8:50 am 
you are awesome up.gif i love your photo of Lost Peak...i must go back although i was doing lots of rant.gif and curse.gif to the pass from Dose Meadows! must think about it embarassedlaugh.gif Gunsight Pass looks inviting.....not! thanks!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 am 
Round Route Markers? Now you tell me. I actually dont know any of the details of which way you were 'supposto go', besides for what was listed in the climbers guide. Did run into some old flagging randomly on trees, but lost it when going into the big meadow areas. Slide Alders were in between the photo of Gunsight Pass and all the rock fall on the flank of Deception. Maybe one can avoid the thick of it by staying higher?

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 am 
Lily carpeted meadows are always so nice. Great shot.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 9:06 am 
Good job. Welcome back to civilization. Sounds like a good time.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 am 
strong effort there Jake! Glad my TR could help you out...I remember reading this report from Gary-n-Jan in which they described the traverse from Gunsight to Deception Basin as 'longer and more challenging than expected...'

FungiFan

FungiFan
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 am 
Was waiting for your next update. Certainly wasn't disappointed! up.gif up.gif up.gif FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 10:08 am 
That slide alder is something else in that area! A buddy and I were going through the section on the south flank of Mystery, headed for Gunsight Pass. At one point he chose to go up and over while I opted to go over and up - we didn't find each other again until an hour later when we came out the far side! Crazy or not, I am so jealous of your route!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
silence

silence
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 10:16 am 
looking forward to more on your approach to deception basin via deception creek ... i hear that's pretty gnarly and only a few have actually accomplished it .. what'd you do when you got to the falls? btw another way is to just go over mt deception ;-)

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
reststep

reststep
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 1:11 pm 
This is a route description for Mt. Deception from Beckey's Climber's Guide to the Cascade and Olympic Mountains of Washington revised edition 1953.
Quote:
Route. The shortest route is from the Dosewallips River trail, leaving it 1 mile S. of Camp Marion and climb along Deception Creek to its head at 5500 ft. (ca. 3 miles). A long, but easy talus and broken rock slope goes to the summit. From the trail 4200 ft. of altitude are gained and this should take from 6 to 8 hours.
I thought I read somewhere that there are some good camp sites near the junction of the two branches of Deception Creek below Gunsight Pass but I didn't have a chance to check it when I was there..

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
RodF

RodF
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
@BarefootJake wrote:
Who in their right mind... Sidehill, Windfall, Devils Club, lots of other pokie things, rock fall/slides and then lots of those things all together at times.[/
Yeah, you didn't realize the Deception Creek route offered all these delights? Hmm... maybe that's a good thing! Checking guidance...
Washington Health Law Manual, chapter 4C wrote:
Commitment Based on Mental Illness 4C.2.4.0 Knowingly and with forethought climbing over 2000 vertical feet of 100% or greater slope with greater than 50% coverage of slide alder and Devil's club is prima facie evidence of utter disregard for one's well-being, requiring emergency initial detention of up to 72 hours for mental health evaluation. 4C.2.4.1 Unknowingly encountered the above conditions, and continuing anyway, is deemed an untreatable lapse in judgement; respondant is to be offered counselling and released. 4C.2.4.2. Petition for Additional Treatment The evaluation and treatment facility has up to 72 hours to evaluate the respondent. If the facility determines that climber may repeat this experience, mental health treatment is appropriate and if the statutory requirements are satisfied, the facility may file a petition for either 14 days of inpatient or 90 days of a less restrictive alternative treatment.
Treatment was being strapped in front of a reality TV twelve hours a day while being stuffed with s'mores, beer and lithium, with goal of converting climber into mindless couch potato. I loved it! Apparently, so did Slugman. But you'd hate it, Jake! I think you're off the hook this time, Jake, just don't do it again! smile.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSat Jul 13, 2013 6:04 am 
Great trip, report and photos, Jake!