Forum Index > Trip Reports > East Creek & Mebee Pass Lookout Restoration
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Scurlock

John Scurlock
PostSun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 am 
In our effort to restore the fire lookout at Mebee Pass, our group of volunteers has been cutting open the East Creek trail. It's a necessary step to be taken care of in order to get to the lookout to assess its condition. The assessment is scheduled for July 17 when we will send a team of six or seven up there to measure and do a condition check. We anticipate flying materials in there in early September and doing the work at the same time. We hope to install a new roof, new door, repair a broken corner of the building, and fix up the foundation if necessary. We are working in cooperation with the USFS, and in particular, the folks at the Methow Valley Ranger district; they have been really supportive and helpful. Now... the East Creek trail: Years ago, the trailhead bridge was destroyed after a FS assessment determined the stringers were rotten. Two stringers remain though, and we are using the "upstream" log for a crossing. It's fairly solid, and it's either a crawl, skooch, or walk across. At high water, it's hair-raising. The crossing is not maintained so use at your own risk. We think the more level "downstream" stringer is very dangerous, so I'd recommend staying off it. The first four miles of the trail, to the Gold Hill mine, is a straightforward cruise now. The trail starts with a thousand or so feet of elevation gain on switchbacks, then traverses generally upward to the first creek crossing (log) and then on to the mine. The next four miles is the adventuresome part. It's brushy in places and somewhat hard to follow. In the first large avalanche track, the trail goes out to the middle of it, then straight downhill for a few hundred feet, then bears left and downward to the timber on the other side. At the second large avalanche crossing, the path goes diagonally downward through knee-high brush to the bottom of the timber on the other side, then down a short sidehill to the creek, where there's an easy ford (where tevas are recommended). Once across the creek, travel diagonally up and east to the timber, staying fairly close to the creek for the first couple hundred yards. It's here that the trail is faintest, a barely discernible track through the forest. Be careful to follow cut logs, and don't stray too far uphill. Reach the third creek crossing in about 3/4 mile, on a good log. Beyond the third crossing, the trail is fairly easy to follow, particularly because we've cut through the gigantic blowdown tangles that lie along it. There's a creek at the approximately 6 3/4 mile mark which is likely the last reliable water up to the pass. The switchbacks start in a meadow area, but it appears that they traverse upwards through small trees and krummholz, so be prepared for a bit of bushwacking there. This part of the trail is also very faint. I apologize for the use of flagging on this but it's a necessary evil at this point of the project. We plan to pull it when we are done. It's pink by the way, so don't confuse it with any other color you might find. Someone put up orange flagging beyond the second large avalanche crossing, but it only leads to a hellish tangle of tag alder. Don't follow it. You'll also notice a bit of pink flagging related to some type of survey or mine claim activity. We don't know what that's about. If you want an adventure in a wild setting close to the NC highway, East Creek is it. Most of the trail is in forest, and the upper valley is a beautiful fir/spruce walk. At this point I think we have it about 99 pct cut open so that part of the issue is resolved. We have felt a sense of adventure and privilege to be working up there, and I hope those of you who travel along that trail feel the same. Perhaps someday there will be a new bridge, but for now, use care on the log and enjoy East Creek. By the way, we could still use donations so if you feel generous, please visit the Mebee Pass Fire Lookout website, hosted by Steph Abegg, here: Friends of Mebee Pass Lookout We have no overhead whatsoever, your donations go directly to the fire lookout restoration. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Jul 14, 2013 8:09 am 
This is awesome! Thanks for all the hard work, folks! Lookouts are such an important part of our country's history. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Jul 14, 2013 8:20 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif John...what will be the purpose of the lookout once you guys bring it up to snuff??? Rental? Reestablish as a working lookout? Open to anyone who goes up there? Also...will you be building a trail from Mebee Pass to the lookout? Thanks for all your hard work and supporting lookouts.... cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 14, 2013 8:26 am 
Very, very cool. up.gif up.gif

John Scurlock

John Scurlock
PostSun Jul 14, 2013 9:03 am 
This is what we call a "structural" restoration. We are concentrating on the things that will keep it standing for another eighty years -- roof, foundation, broken corner, door. The plywood over the windows will remain, because it's too troublesome and costly to replace now with actual windows. We are working off original blueprints and although the building is not on a historical registry, we are adhering to historical standards in our materials and methods. We've already purchased the new shingles -- beautiful Alaska yellow cedar #1 shingles from a supplier in British Columbia -- the best of the best. We feel the roof is the single most important item on our restoration agenda. When we are done, the lookout will be open to anyone, first come first served, at no cost. It's tiny, remote, difficult to get to, and the interior will be not restored. For one thing, we don't know if there was ever much of an interior. There will be some restoration materials stored inside, but not too much. I think eventually it will be fine for a couple of people to sleep in (it's only 10'x10' in size). We will look at the route up from the pass but we aren't really capable of building new trail. We'll probably hand-cut a bit of brush but my guess is that's about it.

JeffR

JeffR
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 12:52 am 
Very awesome! Looking forward to hearing from the next expedition up there. If you need anyone more to do grunt labor, let me know...

KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 pm 
John - Do you know if the trail from Meebee pass to the Methow is kaput? Also, do you know if the FS intends to replace the bridge over Granite creek in the near future?

Karl J Kaiyala
John Scurlock

John Scurlock
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 4:28 pm 
I have not been over the pass down to the Methow. In the 90s, I was up to Azurite Pass from the Methow when we climbed Azurite. the bottom of that trail was tricky to find but the trail was in good condition. I note that the trail from Mebee pass down to the Methow is plainly visible in Google Earth, and I've heard hearsay that it's in fair condition for foot travel. There is no short term plan to replace the Granite Creek bridge, and the FS has signed it as "not maintained". At moderate or low water conditions, such as it is now, the log crossing is very reasonable. We've made it a lot safer by cutting away a large log lying across it from a flood, and we've installed eyebolts, metal handles, and a platform to stand on before you make your way across it to the far side (we did all that while on belay, by the way). I've walked it carrying a full pack and a chainsaw. But that's familiarity and dry conditions. At high water it's potentially life threatening and in any case, I urge anyone crossing it to assess it carefully and make sure they are comfortable with it before attempting. It really is a pretty reasonable log, and I'm sure most of us have seen way worse. For the future, maybe a single "engineered" log crossing? or a cable bridge? But the FS has no $$ now so it's another project entirely. As it stands, it's no one's responsibility and we are trying to make it safe without being an attractive nuisance. Here's a gallery with a few pics, note the lack of hardhat and chaps, we got a little exuberant once we made it across and just had to cut something. Since then we've been in full safety gear per FS standards. http://www.pbase.com/nolock/eastcreek Since these pics were taken, the crossing has improved greatly with more eyebolts etc. We don't belay across any more.

iron

iron
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 4:39 pm 
^ looks like a challenging cut!

KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
Thanks John - this is very helpful For planning a Canyon Creek -> Boulder Creek -> East Creek loop, I looked at those bridge stringers in early June and figured I'd better wait until Granite Creek was way down so I could just wade the thing. You guys have improved things dramatically, both bridge-wise and trail-wise.

Karl J Kaiyala
John Scurlock

John Scurlock
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 4:47 pm 
I've just added a couple more images to that gallery, http://www.pbase.com/nolock/image/151337621 - Dave A at the second crossing, about five miles up, an easy ford in tevas http://www.pbase.com/nolock/image/151337622 - myself and Dave just above the third crossing, coming down at the end of the day. This spot was one of the four or five largest tangles we cut through on this day; what's shown here is just part of this particular mess.

John Scurlock

John Scurlock
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 4:49 pm 
yes Mike, a challenging and dangerous cut. But little did we know, more challenging and significantly more dangerous cuts lay in the upper valley, beyond the third crossing. We made it through some real "holy s**t" places...

KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 4:56 pm 
Anything involving large timber and chainsaws is freighted with treacheries, some predictable, some far less so. My hat's off to you guys, and I appreciate the pictures and information very much.

Karl J Kaiyala
carppdiem
Man of Bronze

carppdiem
Man of Bronze
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 am 
This project is so amazing! I've been wondering about the Mebee Pass lookout ever since I saw it mentioned in the Ray Kresek book 'Fire Lookouts of the Northwest' many years ago. I believe the book said the lookout was still standing, but then I read about how bad the East Creek trail was. Later I saw John's aerial photos of the structure, and I started considering if it was possible to get up there climbing over all the blowdowns as a crazy summer outing over several days backpacking. Now with all your work it seems like visiting this lookout may actually become a possibility in my future....Thanks to everyone involved!

"And I know it seems easy," said Piglet to himself, "but it isn't everyone who could do it."
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 12:12 pm 
I certainly understand the need for monetary donations. But i am not seeing any links to those who are willing to provide sweat equity. Clearly there must be some value in having a labor pool that is willing to work for free. hockeygrin.gif In terms of some one on foot the east creek trail is a logical approach. However as some point materials and equipment will need to be packed in. I quick check of the maps shows the route from the PCT would be a shorter route to pack materials. Clearly a horse would be able to drop of construction supplies at the PCT. Or closer to the pass depending on trail conditions.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential