Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sahale Arm 7/15/2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pribbs

Pribbs
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 1:35 am 
Probably don't need a report for such a popular hike, but you know I like to share my photos! This was my first time on this hike; my only previous trips up the Cascade River were Snowking Mountain in 2011 and Hidden Lake Peak last summer. The trailhead alone has a great view of the massive wall of J-Berg and Cascade Pass up ahead.
I left the trailhead around 9:50. The trail is in perfect shape and begins with a ton of easy switchbacks through pleasant forest with some views down the Cascade River Valley. The trail then levels off and traverses east to Cascade Pass, 3.7 miles from the trailhead. Nice view down the Stehekin River Valley.
I talked to a ranger a bit at the pass before turning left (north) and heading up the trail to Sahale Arm. The trail gets a bit steeper here as you must gain a bit of elevation to get up to the ridge. But once you get onto Sahale Arm, the views get really good as Sahale Mountain rises above Doubtful Lake and the Stehekin River flows out to the east.
I encountered a couple of deer and some flowers as the views expanded back to the west again. Sahale Mountain was getting closer. Suddenly I heard the thunder of an incoming fighter jet. I looked up into the sky, but I was looking to high! He was coming in low from the SE (about 7000ft.) and flew right over Cascade Pass! I didn't even have time to snap a photo.
As the trail began to climb up to the first moraine, the way became steeper and rockier. And as you begin to climb up the second bigger moraine toward the camp, there is a rockfield. Just follow the cairns. The trail up the moraine is steeper with loose rocks and dirt. But it is a moraine, after all. About 3 or 4 goats were waiting at the camp at the top, but I was going pretty slow and by the time I got up there, only one goat remained. The others seemed to vanish. I reached the camp at the base of the glacier at 7700ft. Wow what a view! McGregor, Bonanza, Spider, Formidable, the tip of Glacier Peak, Rainier, Sloan, and everything in between! Two people began to climb toward the summit as I got there.
Although only 1 goat was at the camp when I arrived, he was a curious and friendly (or hungry most likely) guy and came within 10 feet of me. We chatted for a bit. He loves living there although he says winters can be a bit rough. My second hike in a row with goats (I hiked Burroughs last week).
After about 50 minutes relaxing at the camp, I headed down. I ran into the same two deer again. But a little further down the trail I saw a black bear in a meadow down below the trail! I was really hoping to see a bear on this hike. First bear I've seen on a hike in almost 3 years. And then I passed by one more goat before descending to the pass.
Going down all of those switchbacks on the way out seemed like it took forever. I was so tired and I kept thinking I was close to the trailhead, but instead several more switchbacks awaited. 11 miles, 4000ft. gain, 7.5 hours RT As far as trail conditions go, only a few small easy patches of snow and no blowdowns at all. This was one of the best hikes I've ever been on. Like people say, it is a MUST-DO! For you climbers, Sahale Peak is a must-do and I will probably climb all the way to the top someday. But I am only a scrambler right now so I think the summit block would've been to technical for me without a rope (I read there are class 4 moves and some consider it to even have class 5).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pribbs

Pribbs
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 2:19 am 
I just edited this in: While hiking up Sahale Arm, I heard the thunder of an incoming fighter jet. I looked up into the sky, but I was looking too high! He was coming in low from the SE (about 7000ft.) and flew right over Cascade Pass!

peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 4:25 am 
Lucky seeing a bear that high this early in the summer. Good pictures of the ridge by Cache Col smile.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 am 
Pribb, The Navy out of Whidbey NAS uses the Glacier Peak region for navigation/training runs. Those old A-6 Intruders and EA6B Prowlers throw out a tremendous racket, especially at low altitude. Many a hiker has had the pants scared off 'em as those boys come down the Suiattle River valley. Tom

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 am 
Not sure you could have asked for anything more! It's on my list summer or fall i'm getting here this year! THanks for the preview!

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 8:10 am 
Nice photos. Lots of wildlife sightings. It looks like the same bear we saw there 2 weeks ago.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
iron

iron
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 am 
great shots! that must be the illusive cascade pass grizzly... hockeygrin.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 11:30 am 
Great bear shot!

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 12:16 pm 
Good report and thanks! Popular hikes need trip reports too! Conditions change a lot in a couple weeks and from year to year at the same time of year. Without trip reports like this its a guessing game to figure out what conditions are for deciding on hiking a certain trail or what equipment to bring. WOW, the snow sure is melting out fast this year!

friluftsliv
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 pm 
WOW!!!! Thank you for sharing, as I'm never sure this time of year what still has too much snow on it. With all this good weather, hopefully I can check this off my to do list soon. I just can't believe that picture of the bear...kind of freaky (I'm a bit spooked by bears) but definitely cool. Thanks again.

Pribbs

Pribbs
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 10:54 pm 
That bear looked up and saw me and couldn't care less about my presence. nothing to worry about!

touron

touron
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 pm 
What a great trip! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Jul 17, 2013 3:35 am 
All, Those are some great photos. Now we need to get that pesky Stehekin Road open so we can do that historic/scenic/cool cross-Cascade hike working again! Tom

contour5

contour5
PostWed Jul 17, 2013 9:52 am 
Nice pictures, thanks for posting them. Pretty lucky to get all those wildlife shots in one trip! Watch out for the screamers. I saw a pair fly low through chain lakes a few years ago; setting off an enormous rockslide in the process.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Jul 19, 2013 2:20 am 
Geez Louise! I've been up there in late August and early September and there's been more snow than there is now! Wow!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin