Forum Index > Trail Talk > Nat Geo TOPO!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostThu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 am 
Am I missing something, it seems like the cloud and net based version is much less capable that the old CD version. It is certainly quicker to jump around the county, and the set-up costs are less, but I like the old one better. But since I have a brand new iMac, I have no other choice. Or am I all wet?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
monorail

monorail
PostThu Jul 18, 2013 12:42 pm 
I haven't used the cloud version. I have the old cd version, but I don't use the cds--- I copied them all onto my hard drive (it's a lot faster that way). If the problem is that your iMac doesn't have an optical drive, maybe you could borrow someone's computer and copy all the cds onto a thumb drive, then transfer that to your iMac? Ripping the cds is just a matter of drag-and-drop; there's no file protection (at least not on my version, which is several years old. In fact, the old user's manual had instructions for ripping the cds!).

jcocci

jcocci
PostThu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm 
Why won't it work on your new iMac?

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Jul 18, 2013 7:29 pm 
Changes in the operating system. The latest (Mountain Lion) is not compatible with a lot of things including the NG Topo! If I'd gotten the new iMac a year earlier, no problems. I still have the old computer which is still working; so as long as it holds up I can still use the CDs.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
jcocci

jcocci
PostThu Jul 18, 2013 7:31 pm 
I'm using OSX version 10.8.4 and it works fine for me. Are you using TOPO software version 4.5.4?

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostThu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm 
I just looked it up, apparently 2.0, and support has ended somewhere in the past. I ran installer, but it just wont run the disk

El Puma

El Puma
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 8:43 am 
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/downloads/TopoMac454.dmg You might have to go into your System Preferences / Security and allow the machine to open apps not downloaded from the App store. Not sure; but if 4.5.4 is only an upgrade and not free-standing, you migt have to search for/install a lower version of 4.x beforehand... I also run 10.8.4 and have no problems with TOPO using data from installed data disks off my HD.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 12:21 pm 
El Puma wrote:
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/downloads/TopoMac454.dmg You might have to go into your System Preferences / Security and allow the machine to open apps not downloaded from the App store. Not sure; but if 4.5.4 is only an upgrade and not free-standing, you migt have to search for/install a lower version of 4.x beforehand... I also run 10.8.4 and have no problems with TOPO using data from installed data disks off my HD.
Did as you and others have said, and I've made good progress. Not there yet, but closer. Looks like my old NP disks may be toast, but if I can get WA, CA and AK running, I'd be happy

hikermike

hikermike
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 10:28 pm 
When topo! got bought out by Nat Geo it all went to toast. It's like Nat Geo doesn't care about ANY of their products. You'll have to upgrade in a stepwise manner and around 3.something or 4. something you'll have to pay some money. ($19 or $25 dollars depending on where you are) Yes that's vaque but so is there website. Don't expect any help either by phone or E-mail....as I said, they couldn't give a crap! One of the worst companies I've ever had to work with. What I mean is, you can't go from 2.0 to 4.5, there are some updates you'll have to make inbetween....also after 3.something or whatever, they may have forgotten about mac so check your Mac sites.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 11:27 pm 
Just went through this with my Dad's new iMac. Older versions of TOPO won't run on Mountain Lion, but newer (4.0+) might (sounds like it does according to El Puma's comments above) - I never got that far because my Dad only had version 3.3 available. My solution was to give him a dual boot Windows 8/Mountain Lion. Now he has the best of both worlds (except he's still stuck with Mac hardware).... clown.gif The 4.5 on the Nat Geo website is only an upgrade, so one would need to find 4.0 somewhere.. which is pretty much impossible now unless you know someone who has it. I looked high and low, but was unable to find it.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 8:53 am 
found this a while ago http://support.topo.com/articles/130 It is the full 4.5 version installer for windows, It still works, I just tried it. You may search for the compatible Mac version.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 10:11 am 
I got the WA disc loaded and working fine, but CA and AK are recalcitrant

Arginine

Arginine
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 10:13 am 
I'm running OS X 10.8.4 and have Topo 4.6.0. Pretty much works fine but the tracks don't seem to import or show up when drawn. Any thoughts on that issue? I emailed NG months ago and they responded (to their credit) but said that I had to use All Trails as they didn't support TOPO any longer. I'm pretty unimpressed with All Trails despite dropping $50 for the Pro version. I can't rule out user incompetence with it though.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 10:19 am 
Arginine wrote:
I'm pretty unimpressed with All Trails despite dropping $50 for the Pro version. I can't rule out user incompetence with it though.
That's what I have also, and it doesn't seem like a shadow of a properly operating TOPO! from BITD

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 11:29 pm 
As I remember, what you need is TOPO! 3D. I'm panicked now as I can't find my version so won't be able to use my USB garmin. TOPO 3D cones as a cardboard folder with 3 disks in it . There is no mention of TOPO! 4 on the cover. IT IS NOT IN A BOX! It cost me $19 at REI. It has 4.0 which allows you to use your USB port and is necessary for any GPS that uses a USB. The Barbies at REI will try to sell you the version to allow you to use your handheld but this is not correct. That comes in a BOX and costs $25 and is not what you want. (It didn't allow me to use my Handspring nor my AXIM anyway...total waste of money.) As I said. It comes in a folder. Why can't you buy 4.0 on their website? Ticks me off, buying out a program you don't know how to support and never did from the beginning.